my dd doesn't like bottle, please advice

Old October 14th 03, 06:05 PM
Jen

Default my dd doesn't like bottle, please advice

Dear all,

After 4 months exclusive bfing, I think it is time to teach my dd to use
bottle with ebm. In fact, dh used to feed her once with bottle every
Saturaday and my mom will do that once with bottle every Sunday while mom
helping us to babysit dd. However, dd doesn't really like the bottle, so
that she only take 3-4oz with all the effort of my mom. (I don't know 3-4oz
is enough or too less...but I think she can drink more than that). I have
some questions about dd eating:

1. how can I encourage dd to use bottle?
2. after I go back to work, should I feed her with formula?
3. I will give dd solid food soon, start with rice cereal. Should I add
formula in it? or can I use the one with formula (require water only)?

Please advice.

Jen
Old October 14th 03, 10:32 PM
iphigenia

Jen wrote:

1. how can I encourage dd to use bottle?

If she doesn't like it, it's going to be hard to encourage her. It's not
like you can reason with a baby! : ) It could be easier to teach her to use
a cup (either open, or with a sippy lid, with or without the valve).

2. after I go back to work, should I feed her with formula?

Why? If you can give her expressed breast milk, that's much better.
Obviously if you can't express/pump enough, she'll need something to make up
the shortfall, but I'd consider it a last-ditch thing.

3. I will give dd solid food soon, start with rice cereal. Should I
add formula in it? or can I use the one with formula (require water
only)?

"Soon" being two months from now, when she's 6 months? : ) You can add
whatever you want - formula, water, breast milk, fruit puree. I always just
hand-expressed some milk into it - I certainly wasn't about to go buy
formula just to make cereal when I had a better option on tap : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 15th 03, 05:08 AM
Jen

"iphigenia" wrote in
:

Jen wrote:

1. how can I encourage dd to use bottle?

If she doesn't like it, it's going to be hard to encourage her. It's
not like you can reason with a baby! : ) It could be easier to teach
her to use a cup (either open, or with a sippy lid, with or without
the valve).

When can I introduce sippy cup to her? I thought I should wait until she
start eating solid food, no?

2. after I go back to work, should I feed her with formula?

Why? If you can give her expressed breast milk, that's much better.
Obviously if you can't express/pump enough, she'll need something to
make up the shortfall, but I'd consider it a last-ditch thing.

I know ebm is the best; however, I don't know how can I express more milk.
I have a manuel pump and the most I can pump out is around 4oz in the
morning (I only pump in the morning), and I think the milk amount will drop
during the day. So I don't know how can I have enough milk for dd after I

3. I will give dd solid food soon, start with rice cereal. Should I
add formula in it? or can I use the one with formula (require water
only)?

"Soon" being two months from now, when she's 6 months? : ) You can add
whatever you want - formula, water, breast milk, fruit puree. I always
just hand-expressed some milk into it - I certainly wasn't about to go
buy formula just to make cereal when I had a better option on tap : )

However, I have heard from a nutritionist from a Health unit, she said when
I start using rice cereal in the beginning, make sure that doesn't include
any formula in it (for exclusive bf baby) cuz the baby make allegic to the
formula.

Old October 15th 03, 03:44 PM
iphigenia

Jen wrote:

When can I introduce sippy cup to her? I thought I should wait until
she start eating solid food, no?

No, they can start using sippy cups rather young - 4 months wouldn't be a
problem. Why would you have to wait until starting solids? They shouldn't
have water or juice until they start solids, but that's a matter of
what's -inside- the cups, not the cups in of themselves.

I know ebm is the best; however, I don't know how can I express more
milk. I have a manuel pump and the most I can pump out is around 4oz
in the morning (I only pump in the morning), and I think the milk
amount will drop during the day. So I don't know how can I have
enough milk for dd after I go back to work.

I never really pumped, but you might want to check out the Yahoo pumpmoms
group. If you're planning to pump for work, you're going to -have- to pump
more than once a day, though - from what I've seen, you need to pump at
least as often as the baby would nurse.

However, I have heard from a nutritionist from a Health unit, she
said when I start using rice cereal in the beginning, make sure that
doesn't include any formula in it (for exclusive bf baby) cuz the
baby make allegic to the formula.

Well, that's a good point, and I personally would avoid formula use as much
as possible. I'm just pointing out that there are lots of things that can go
in cereal - in your original post you only mentioned formula, as in adding
it or buying cereal with formula already in it.

Old October 15th 03, 04:03 PM
Lucy

"Jen" wrote in message
1...
I know ebm is the best; however, I don't know how can I express more milk.
I have a manuel pump and the most I can pump out is around 4oz in the
morning (I only pump in the morning), and I think the milk amount will

drop
during the day. So I don't know how can I have enough milk for dd after I

I may be misunderstanding you, but I think you'll find when you return to
work and are skipping nursings, you'll be able to pump a lot more milk. In
fact, if you're anything like me, you'll be extremely uncomfortable if you
don't pump.

Lucy