selecting a ped.

Old August 19th 08, 02:33 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

Default selecting a ped.

Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when the
child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

Old August 19th 08, 02:42 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

toypup wrote:
Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when the
child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

By the time the child is old enough for that to be an issue,
the child is old enough to express his own preference about which
pediatrician to see. We use a practice with multiple doctors
available so that it isn't a major effort to provide different
caregivers based on their preferences.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 19th 08, 03:06 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
toypup wrote:
Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when the
child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

By the time the child is old enough for that to be an issue,
the child is old enough to express his own preference about which
pediatrician to see. We use a practice with multiple doctors
available so that it isn't a major effort to provide different
caregivers based on their preferences.

Well of course, but I'd like to have him develop a relationship so that when
the time comes, he hopefully will be comfortable enough with the ped to
discuss anything. It's not the same with a stranger. Of course, if he
didn't like the ped, we could switch, but I'm looking to build a
relationship for the future. It's not urgent, I can start in a few years.
I just wanted to know what others do.

Old August 19th 08, 12:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

toypup wrote:
Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when the
child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

By the time the child is old enough for that to be an issue,
the child is old enough to express his own preference about which
pediatrician to see. We use a practice with multiple doctors
available so that it isn't a major effort to provide different
caregivers based on their preferences.

Well of course, but I'd like to have him develop a relationship so that when
the time comes, he hopefully will be comfortable enough with the ped to
discuss anything. It's not the same with a stranger. Of course, if he
didn't like the ped, we could switch, but I'm looking to build a
relationship for the future. It's not urgent, I can start in a few years.
I just wanted to know what others do.

Like Ericka we go to a group practice. Mine has several family practioners that
mean my son and I both go to the same doctor. I followed a female family
practicioner to that practice as I liked her from an earlier practice. She
moved to the other side of the country when my son was about ten, then I chose a
male family practitioner for our primary as I wanted a man my son would be
comfortable with for any issues he may want to talk about.

Banty

Old August 19th 08, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

toypup wrote:
Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when
the child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

By the time the child is old enough for that to be an issue,
the child is old enough to express his own preference about which
pediatrician to see. We use a practice with multiple doctors
available so that it isn't a major effort to provide different
caregivers based on their preferences.

Well of course, but I'd like to have him develop a relationship so that
when the time comes, he hopefully will be comfortable enough with the
ped to discuss anything. It's not the same with a stranger. Of course,
if he didn't like the ped, we could switch, but I'm looking to build a
relationship for the future. It's not urgent, I can start in a few
years. I just wanted to know what others do.

I think it's a crap shoot, personally. Some kids will
only feel comfortable with one sex, others will be more concerned
with personality (and might have different preferences from those
you might imagine), still others might base their decision on
something else. I agree it would be lovely if kids wanted to
continue with a ped. they had a good relationship with, but
there aren't any guarantees by a long shot, so I think you
simply pick what seems like the best fit based on what you
know now and be willing to change if you need to once the
child is older and (perhaps) has different preferences.
Still, if you are in a practice with multiple doctors, odds
are that your kids will at least develop some familiarity
with the other doctors in the practice. My boys, who are
at or getting to the age of going by themselves, have had
very different approaches to what sorts of doctors they would
prefer, and I would not necessarily have predicted their
discriminators. Hence, my suggestion that even with your
best intentions and effort, I don't think it'll be all that
much better than a crap shoot.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 19th 08, 03:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

toypup wrote:
Those of you with boys, do you have a male pediatrician so that when the
child is older, he can go in alone and discuss any concerns?

Right now I have all boys and a female ped. I may change peds (dh does
not like our current doc at all) and when I do I'll probably go with a
male ped since I have all boys. Actually if I switch I have to go with a
male since my current ped is the only female. If they get older and
have an issue with the doc we'll switch again. Even though there is
more then one doc in the practice we have always seen our own ped so
where I'm at you pretty much stick with the one you pick.

Does your hubby go to the doc? If I could convince mine to go I'd pick
a family doctor and have dh and all the boys go to the same person. I
think that would be nice. My dh doesn't go to the doctor though. I'd
do it but I have my OB and no interest in changing since I like her.

--

Nikki, mama to 4 boys

Old August 19th 08, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Nikki wrote:
toypup wrote:
[...]

All four of us (me, husband, 12-year-old daughter, 6-year-old son) go to
the same female GP. We all like her, and I like having one doctor who
knows the whole family. There is a male doctor in the practice, whom
we all have seen on the odd occasion that we need a walk-in visit; so if
my son ever preferred it, he could see that doctor.

Clisby
Old August 20th 08, 01:56 AM posted to misc.kids
Sue

We go to a ped's office that has both female and male doctors so they have
built a relationship with all of them and now that they have met all of the
doctors, they do have their preference, so I schedule appointments with that
particular doctor.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)