bare minimum bfing duration

Old October 11th 03, 06:44 PM
Jenrose

Default bare minimum bfing duration

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
news:MfXhb.70695$6C4.29734@pd7tw1no...

Jenrose wrote:

I find it interesting that *all* of the "alternative" foods you

recommended
are dairy.

Off the top of my head:
broccoli
almonds

There's almost no way to feed a child sufficient broccoli and almonds
(especially an allergic child avoiding nuts at age 2) to provide sufficient
dairy on a daily basis. Nursing is easier.

Jenrose

Old October 11th 03, 06:51 PM
Shannon G

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

"Shannon G" wrote in message

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

My *personal* minimum is two years. But that's the youngest I would

allow
baby to wean (I won't feed any child of mine under age 2 cow's milk,

period,
so they really must nurse.)

I'm certainly not disputing your minimum of two years. I am, however,
disputing your claim that a child *must* nurse simply because they are

not
drinking cows milk. You can get Vitamin D from sunlight and calcium

from
cheese, yogurt, etc. and what happened to good old fashioned water for
hydration? Milk should certainly not be compared as a substitution for
breastmilk, nor should it be construed as a staple food for humans.

My daughter was allergic to soy AND dairy. Not just milk, but cheese,
butter, yogurt, ghee, whey, casien. Also eggs. She is not lactose

intolerant
(although she might be, since she really can't try out a glass of milk to
find out, we'll never know). She is in fact, milk allergic. Give her milk

or
ANY dairy, poof, symptoms. Give her antihistimine, the symptoms get

better.

Trust me, she needed my milk. She nursed more like a typical 8-month old

in
terms of quantity through age 2 1/2. At that point she was taking in

enough
rice milk, meat, etc. that she was able to cut back her volume of nursing.

I find it interesting that *all* of the "alternative" foods you

recommended
are dairy.

*All* the ones I mentioned? There were two... cheese & yogurt. I also
said, etc. which I should've skipped and mentioned beans, ie. navy, kidney,
salmon sardines, okra, carrots, oranges, broccoli......etc." I state again
my claim that cows milk is certainly not human staple food and breastmilk is
not a substitution for cows milk. That was the point I was originally
trying to make.

Shannon

Old October 12th 03, 09:45 AM
Judy King

"ted" wrote in message
om...
little background here. A friend of mine recently had an emergency c
section and she had one heck of a time delivering the baby. now they
are doing fine. the baby stayed in icu for few days and for the lack
of knowing better they gave the baby a bottle and guess what! ended up
with nipple confusion. I warned her about this problem but still..

Anyways, despite the pain and everything my friend is diligently
pumping and giving the baby ebm. When I called her last time we talked
about nursing the baby, quitting the bottle etc etc. She asked me how
long, in my opinon, is the absolute bare minimum that the baby should
get breast milk? I told 6 months.

What do you think? I agree that it would be best if the baby nurses
until he/she self weans. But for whatever reason if the mother just
can't do it, how long should she nurse the baby as a bare minimum
time?

Thanks.

I have to agree with the majority. As long as she can. I also think it's
important to keep your goals small and then reassess. I found the goal of a
year insurmountable with DS but when I made my goal six weeks I actually got
to three months. Not ideal but better than six weeks you will agree.

Look at it this way as long as the benefits overall outweight the problems
the keep it up.

Sorry no simple answer I'm afraid.

Judy

Old October 13th 03, 07:59 PM
Elaine

In article m, Jenrose wrote:
There's almost no way to feed a child sufficient broccoli and almonds
(especially an allergic child avoiding nuts at age 2) to provide sufficient
dairy on a daily basis. Nursing is easier.

Hrm, how much calcium does an infant/toddler need anyway? My
husband and I are dairy and soy intolerant so there won't be
any cheese, etc. in our house. To be honest, calcium was
pretty far down my list of nutrients to worry about, so
I hadn't gotten that far yet.

Elaine
Old October 13th 03, 08:26 PM
Nikki

"Jenrose"

There's almost no way to feed a child sufficient broccoli and almonds
(especially an allergic child avoiding nuts at age 2) to provide sufficient
dairy on a daily basis. Nursing is easier.

I was interested so I looked it up on the AAP website. According to
them a toddler 1yr-3yrs old should have 500 mg of calcium a day. For
a reference point one cup of milk has 300mg of calcium. I didn't
include other dairy products below since we are looking for non-dairy
sources.

1/2 cup cooked broccoli or 1 cup raw has 35mg
1 cup of calcium fortified OJ has 300mg
1/2 cup cooked spinach or 1-1.5 cups raw has 120mg but there was a
note saying that calcium from spinach is essentially nonbioavailable
20 sardines with bones has 50mg
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoe has 44mg.

So, lets see... I'd hard sell OJ :-)

--

Nikki
Mama to Hunter and Luke
Old October 13th 03, 08:34 PM
Dawn Lawson

Nikki wrote:
"Jenrose"

There's almost no way to feed a child sufficient broccoli and almonds
(especially an allergic child avoiding nuts at age 2) to provide sufficient
dairy on a daily basis. Nursing is easier.

I was interested so I looked it up on the AAP website. According to
them a toddler 1yr-3yrs old should have 500 mg of calcium a day. For
a reference point one cup of milk has 300mg of calcium. I didn't
include other dairy products below since we are looking for non-dairy
sources.

1/2 cup cooked broccoli or 1 cup raw has 35mg
1 cup of calcium fortified OJ has 300mg
1/2 cup cooked spinach or 1-1.5 cups raw has 120mg but there was a
note saying that calcium from spinach is essentially nonbioavailable
20 sardines with bones has 50mg
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoe has 44mg.

So, lets see... I'd hard sell OJ :-)

If you HAD to supplement, why not add a calcium supplement powder to
food? There are various forms of calcium which are variable in their
bioavailablity, but also a lot of supplements...even those chewy
chocolate ones made for women could be a consideration.

Dawn

Old October 13th 03, 08:39 PM
Elaine

In article , Nikki wrote:
I was interested so I looked it up on the AAP website. According to
them a toddler 1yr-3yrs old should have 500 mg of calcium a day. For
a reference point one cup of milk has 300mg of calcium. I didn't
include other dairy products below since we are looking for non-dairy
sources.

1/2 cup cooked broccoli or 1 cup raw has 35mg
1 cup of calcium fortified OJ has 300mg
1/2 cup cooked spinach or 1-1.5 cups raw has 120mg but there was a
note saying that calcium from spinach is essentially nonbioavailable
20 sardines with bones has 50mg
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoe has 44mg.

So, lets see... I'd hard sell OJ :-)

Actually - you can get the same powder that's added to
OJ to calcium fortify it and sprinkle it on foods. That's
a lot of OJ to get down every day, besides being pretty
acidic. Calcium fortified OJ is my primary source for
calcium, and it's getting pretty old.

Elaine
Old October 13th 03, 08:54 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Elaine wrote:

To be honest, calcium was
pretty far down my list of nutrients to worry about, so
I hadn't gotten that far yet.

I've been doing a little reading on calcium as I am a bit
concerned with getting osteoporosis (Brittle Bones) and was
surprised to find your bones only store calcium until your
late teens, so the diet needs to be rich in it before then.
After that age the bones no longer store calcium and the
blood removes what calcium it needs for function out of the
bones to compensate for dietary inadequacies after that
(well and before that too, but the key thing is the bones
stop hoarding it). The more calcium the blood has to take
the more porus your bones become and the more at risk you
are of Osteoperosis.....from what I understand, there's
probably a lot more to it than just that though. The bones
retain calcium better too when you do weight baring
exercises (resistance work), the more you exercise and tone
the muscles around the bone the better the bone retains it's
calcium. Also you loose more when there is not enough
oestrogen in your system, which is why womyn going through
menopause are at high risk.
It just made me aware that it's important to get lots of
calcium into my kids, especially teenagers now bfore it's
too late like it is for me.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old October 15th 03, 06:46 PM
H Schinske

Andrea wrote:

The bones
retain calcium better too when you do weight baring
exercises (resistance work), the more you exercise and tone
the muscles around the bone the better the bone retains its
calcium.

To cheer you up a little, may I mention that pregnancy counts as a weight
bearing exercise :-) Really, it does.

--Helen
Old October 15th 03, 06:52 PM
H Schinske

wrote:

There's almost no way to feed a child sufficient broccoli and almonds
(especially an allergic child avoiding nuts at age 2) to provide sufficient
dairy on a daily basis. Nursing is easier.

I take it you meant "calcium," not "dairy" in the above. Breastmilk isn't
actually all that rich in calcium. On the other hand, the calcium requirement
for toddlers is still being debated. See
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/ca...tml#comparison

Human milk contains less calcium than cow's milk, but the calcium in human milk
has over twice the bioavailability of the calcium in cow's milk. According to
the American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement on Calcium Requirements of
Infants, Children, and Adolescents:

No available evidence shows that exceeding the amount of calcium retained by
the exclusively breastfed term infant during the first 6 months of life or the
amount retained by the human milk-fed infant supplemented with solid foods
during the second 6 months of life is beneficial to achieving long-term
increases in bone mineralization... Few data are available about the calcium
requirements of children before puberty. Calcium retention is relatively low in
toddlers and slowly increases as puberty approaches.

Human milk averages 200-340 mg/liter [Hamosh 1991, Riordan & Auerbach 1999], or
5.9-10.1 mg/oz calcium. 67% of this calcium is absorbed by the body [Riordan &
Auerbach 1999].

Infant formulas contain 15.6 mg/oz calcium; toddler formulas contain 24-27
mg/oz calcium. Extra calcium is added to infant formulas because of the lower
bioavailability of the calcium from formulas as compared to human milk (they
aim for baby to absorb the same amount of calcium as would be absorbed from
breastmilk).

Whole milk contains 291 mg/8 oz [Nutrient Content of Select Dairy Foods from
the National Dairy Council], or 36.4 mg/oz calcium. 25-30% of cow's milk is
absorbed by the body [Calcium Counseling Resources: Absorption / Utilization
Issues from the National Dairy Council].
So it seems that breastmilk has about one-quarter the calcium of cow's milk by
volume, but the greater bioavailability raises it to perhaps half the calcium
of cow's milk.

--Helen