Is formula intolerance possible second time around?

Old October 14th 03, 03:52 PM
ted

Default Is formula intolerance possible second time around?

My DD was given only formula for the first 10 days after her birth.
Since then she's been exclusively on breast milk. Now, after 7 months
of exclusive bfing, I'm having to supplement because of supply issues.
Nobody in my family has lactose intolerance. I love all milk
products. I eat lots of low fat yoghurt every day. Via breastmilk, she
got all that from me and never reacted badly.

When she was on formula as a newborn she didn't have any problems. She
was fine. Yesterday, I gave her 4 oz of formula at 11am. She took it
gladly. She was fine all morning, slept one hour more than usual.
However at night she was very fussy. She was up 4 times and crying
each time. She didn't have bowel movement but she usually doesn't have
one every day. I gave her mylicon. It seemed to soothe her but she
still wasn't very happy. This is morning when I left to work she was
again fine, happy, crawling all over the place.

Can formula intolerance happen second time around?

Thanks.
Old October 14th 03, 06:31 PM
Clisby

ted wrote:
[...]

I guess she could have digestive problems with formula the second time
around. But if she's getting along well with breastmilk, I don't see
how she could be lactose intolerant; breastmilk has a lot of lactose.

You could always try a different formula - I've known a couple of people
who said their babies tolerated Carnation Good Start way better than
other formulas.

Clisby

Old October 14th 03, 07:30 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

YES, older babies can be intolerant of formula even though they weren't
as infants. The problem would be as simple as needing to adjust to
formula gradually (meaning offer only one ounce a day at first, and see
how it goes). It could be the particular formula you're using. Or your
baby could simply not tolerate cow's milk protein very well. The
problem is NOT lactose, though. Breastmilk is very high in lactose.

My suggestion would be to try a different milk-based formula. If that
doesn't work, try a soy formula. If even that doesn't work, try one of
the hypoallergenic formulas.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 29th 04 05:17 AM
Spousal Debate: Time to Oneself Sonnie B. General 259 May 26th 04 04:03 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Kids Health 4 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM