Baby feeding issues at daycare

Old June 23rd 06, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Baby feeding issues at daycare

hmm, just found your birth story on google groups, so she was 5lb4oz at 35
weeks, I'm sure that is plottable, in fact I'm so sure I'm just off
downstairs to get DDs chart....

.....5lb4oz is 2.40kg, plotting that at 35 weeks on the chart we have puts
her spot on the 50th. To be below the bottom line at 35 weeks gestation a
baby woud have to be less than 1.2kg i.e. 2lb 10 oz. I'm rather confused
now, even plotting as term that weight would put her just above the bottom
centile (0.4th) on the chart I have in front of me. The ref for the charts
seems to be UK population in 1996, so it probably has a skew against
breastfeeding, but at birth that is irrelevant. Even using a boys chart by
mistake adjusted plotting she'd still be well onto the chart, but just off
if plotted as term. Have you seen the chart yourself, or is this what your
ped has told you?

In case you are interested, I'll just work out the 11lb14oz and 6 mths and
11lb 3 weeks later, both adjusted and not.

11 14 = 5.4kg plotted as term, slightly below chart; adjusted, 2nd centile
11 = 5.0kg plotted as term, way below chart; adjusted, slightly below
chart

which does mean she has dropped a bit, but as I said earlier, these are
probably formula fed charts anyway. Nothing I've said here should change
anything about how you feel, what you do etc. I just hope it puts things in
context, I was looking it up because I was surprised that even adjusted you
said she was still off the chart, when I'd managed to remember she was 35
weeks, but hadn't noted a very low birth weight and now I've seen it, I know
why, she was only 9oz less than my DS, but a full 3 weeks earlier.

Cheers

Anne