Weight gain in the first few weeks

Old June 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Weight gain in the first few weeks

I really thought that as a second-time mom, I'd be a lot less concerned
about bfing and weight gain than I was first time around. With DD, I
had so many problems with both of us "learning" to breastfeed that I
worried tremendously about her gaining adequately. With DS, I didn't
worry at all... until he got weighed yesterday.

DS weighed 9 lbs, 3 oz at birth, which put him above the 95th
percentile, they said. He dropped to 8 lbs, 13 oz by the next
afternoon, and when he was four days old weighed 8 lbs 15 oz.
Yesterday, though, we had his 2 week checkup (he was only 12 days old,
so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes) and he weighed 9
lbs, 5 oz, which was only the 70th percentile for a 2-week-old boy. I
had thought that a 6 oz gain for 8 days was pretty good, but a drop
from 95th to 70th percentile seems significant. Anyone know how many
ounces a baby -should- be gaining in the first weeks?

Oh, and DS has a little cold and I am still recovering from mastitis,
so that might've made a difference in what he could gain, too.

Thanks.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old June 15th 06, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carlye wrote:
[...]

I don't think there is a fixed amount that they should gain. At two
weeks they are really checking to see if he is back to his birth weight
(that's what I was told at my daughter's 2 week appointment). Your son
may just be leveling off at his genetic potential. On average babies
gain 1 oz a day for about 12-16 weeks (somebody correct me if I'm
wrong). So 6 oz in 8 days is a good gain.

Oh, and DS has a little cold and I am still recovering from mastitis,
so that might've made a difference in what he could gain, too.

Thanks.

If he drops percentiles drastically at the next appointment, perhaps
there could be a cause for worry. But considering you were ill
(mastitis) and baby had a cold, I would tend to think that would be a
remote possibility.

I hope you and baby get well soon,
PK

Old June 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Carlye" wrote in message

Anyone know how many
ounces a baby -should- be gaining in the first weeks?

I was told they should gain between half ounce to one ounce per day and to
regain their birth weight by two weeks.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old June 15th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carlye wrote:
DS weighed 9 lbs, 3 oz at birth, which put him above the 95th
percentile, they said. He dropped to 8 lbs, 13 oz by the next
afternoon, and when he was four days old weighed 8 lbs 15 oz.
Yesterday, though, we had his 2 week checkup (he was only 12 days old,
so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes) and he weighed 9
lbs, 5 oz, which was only the 70th percentile for a 2-week-old boy. I
had thought that a 6 oz gain for 8 days was pretty good, but a drop
from 95th to 70th percentile seems significant. Anyone know how many
ounces a baby -should- be gaining in the first weeks?

'They' like to see a 0.5-1 ounce gain per day. So in 8 days,
4-8 ounces is good. Sounds like he's perfect.

I think at 2 weeks old they are still figuring out what growth curve
theyshould be on. My two girls were actually 95%+ for their
first 6 months then they both dropped down to the 40th for wieght
and the 95 for height. I seem to have super chunky, tall babies
that grow into tall, lean toddlers and preschoolers.

No one ever blinked at the 95 to 40 drop.

Mary W.

Old June 15th 06, 10:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

he's above is birthweight at 12 days old, no problem there at all, it
doesn't matter how much, anything above is fine at 2 weeks. It's only after
the next weigh in that you could even consider being concerned and you don't
know what that would bring, so don't worry ahead of time! Ideally he would
put on an ounce a day, but 4oz per week is fine.

Anne

Old June 16th 06, 12:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Carlye wrote:

DS weighed 9 lbs, 3 oz at birth, which put him above the 95th
percentile, they said. He dropped to 8 lbs, 13 oz by the next
afternoon, and when he was four days old weighed 8 lbs 15 oz.
Yesterday, though, we had his 2 week checkup (he was only 12 days old,
so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes) and he weighed 9
lbs, 5 oz,

I wouldn't worry at all. Just keep breastfeeding.

-- Anita --
Old June 16th 06, 08:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi, Carlye,

Have you asked your pediatrician about this?
I think it's because his cold and your mastitis.
Feed him more and don't get stressed so that the milk flows better.
Hope both of you get well very soon.
And hope my advice helps...

Cheers,
- aurora -
http://aurora.insparenting.com

Old June 16th 06, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

He's gaining weight fine. Size at birth reflects their nutritional
status in utero and has very little relation to childhood and adult
height and weight. The rule of thumb that crossing two percentile
lines is concerning definitely doesn't count in the first 6 months and
is taken with a grain of salt even until 12 months. Also, bear in mind
that those percentile lines are so close at this point that a full
bladder or big poop could change your percentile. So don't worry about
it.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, just turned three!

Old June 20th 06, 12:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I heard that it works better to count the amount of weight
gain starting from the lowest weight the baby had, rather than from
the birth weight. That makes sense to me. I would guess
that at birth maybe he was overloaded with fluid or something,
so that his weight the next afternoon would be a more
meaningful measure to compare the later
weights to. Anyway, he's gaining weight and
it sounds to me that everything is fine.
Don't worry about those percentiles.

Old June 20th 06, 08:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. It must've been a
fluke -- I brought him to well baby today (he's 18 days old) and he
weighed 10 lb 7 oz -- a 1 lb 2 oz gain in six days!
I'm feeling much better. :-)

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04