Baby feeding issues at daycare

Old June 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Baby feeding issues at daycare

"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...
They warm it in a crock pot too, but I haven't checked the temperature.
This might be something worth looking into. Thanks for the tip. The
other thing the day care provider asked me to do was wear the bottle
nipple close to my body. We'll try both these things.

And if you want a mind****-Sproglette liked her bottles *warm* at home and
as cold as she could get at daycare.

Jess

Old June 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've pumped 3 X a day for the past 5 months. Initially I got about 9 oz
a day for a couple of weeks, then 12 oz for (what seemed like) a long
time, then 15 oz (for a couple of weeks) and now my output has
gradually decreased to about 10 oz a day. What you say is a good idea.
I will move my pumping schedule ahead by a couple of hours, because
frankly, I hate pumping at 4 p.m. and getting 1 oz at the end of 20
minutes.
I'll see how things go and post any difficulties I have.

What kind of pump, and are you doing anything like tea?

Jess

Old June 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PK wrote:
3. I talked to her Ped, and he assured me she would not starve herself.
(He even suggested that she is "strong willed" which I think, was a
polite way of saying she's just obstinate). My output (while pumping)
has been dwindling and so I'm going to have to supplement soon. She has
a problem digesting cow's milk protien and I was advised to start some
sort of formula where the cow's milk protien would be broken down (e.g.
alimentun etc). My mind boggles thinking what she's going to do if I
introduce formula right now. I mean she hates drinking EBM through a
bottle, how in the world is she going to take formula ?

Hi there, I lurk here but your post sounded a little familiar. Has
your doctor considered testing for allergies? I know you mentioned a
problem digesting cow's milk protein and I was curious how you know
that. Are you eliminating dairy for yourself?

My son is 7 months old and did not gain any weight from his 2 month to
6 month checkups. (at 4 month he had grown 2 inches, so we figured he
was just thinning out from the 10lb 14oz that he was born at!) From
the 4month to 6 month he didn't gain anything and grew 3/4 inch. At
that point he was below the 5th percentile for weight.

My doctor ordered a RAST test (blood test) to check for milk, soy and
egg allergies. The results came back high for all three. At that
point I went on an elimination diet and pumped and dumped for two
weeks. We gave Jeremy Nutramigen and he did great. He gained 1lb in
the manner of one week.

Needless to say, when I got the call from the doctor with the allergy
results, I was upset. My freezer stash was completely useless to me
now and I was forced to supplement with formula. I was worried that he
wouldn't take it and I was worried that he would never be able to get
to sleep since he was so used to nursing to sleep. I SOBBED on the
phone to my husband. But, he ended up taking the formula fine, even
better than the EBM that he would get at daycare. Go figure. It's
almost as if he knew the EBM had something in it that didn't agree with
him. Now we're back to nursing and I still supplement with some
Nutramigen and he appears to be gaining ok now. I go back next week to
the ped for a weight check.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you further, but that's my story. (well...a
piece of it anyway...we've still got the eczema to deal with along with
my deep seeded fears that there are more allergies that they haven't
tested for yet!)

So, bottom line, allergies CAN keep a child from gaining weight and
doing some testing can help you figure out what's going on. Hang in
there!

Joanne M.
Mom to Nathan 3.5 years and Jeremy 7 months

Old June 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

If your baby has a problem with cow's milk protein, then try to avoid
going to ANY formula. Just eliminate cow's milk proteins in your OWN
diet.

A surprisingly large percentage (15%? 30%? I can't recall just now) of
babies with cow's milk protein allergy DO react to the broken down
proteins in formulas such as Alimentum. And about 30% react to soy! So
for these babies, breast isn't just better, it's WAY BEST.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old June 16th 06, 07:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PK" wrote and I snipped:

Irrational Number wrote:

I gave Rocky an open cup very early on, probably
around 7 months old. The only problem is that their
hands are not very coordinated yet, at that age, so
they will need lots of help. I think it's a great
idea, though. Rocky now at age 1 drinks from an
open cup with (almost) no problems.

Thats good to know. I tried it with her last night, and while she has
figured out that the EBM will get into her mouth from the cup, she
still has to figure out how to swallow it !! :-) But I think its doable
if her care provider is consistent with it.

I've heard that people who want to avoid nipple confusion with newborns will
use a very small cup, like a medicine cup. It would take a lot of cups to
get 5 oz in a baby, though.

Are you pumping only at work?

Yes. But I think adding a pumping session in the early a.m. before work
would probably be a good idea.

Continue the early morning pumping session on weekends (non-work days), if
you want to get even more milk to store.

As others have said, reverse cycling (nursing in evening and night) is very
common with breastfed infants who don't like bottles. DS did this. They
can thrive in this situation. In your DD's case, though, I'd watch her
output. She should still have lots of wet diapers. The weight loss doesn't
sound like something to be ignored.

Good luck,
-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old June 16th 06, 08:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jess wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...

What kind of pump, and are you doing anything like tea?

I have an Ameda PY. No teas or fenugreek as yet. But the Ped advised me
to start them. I'll start this week, but I expect I won'ty see results
until the following week.

Old June 16th 06, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
PK wrote:

Hi there, I lurk here but your post sounded a little familiar. Has
your doctor considered testing for allergies? I know you mentioned a
problem digesting cow's milk protein and I was curious how you know
that. Are you eliminating dairy for yourself?

No I have not eliminated dairy because I never had reason to. I have
been consuming dairy since she was born and she has had no problems. It
was only after I gave her formula (Good Start, if it matters), that she
developed a couple of patches of dry skin (suspected to be eczema) but
are NOT itchy (about 3 or 4 days later).
The Pediatrician did not reccomend allergy testing thus far, but we do
have a history of allergies on my side of the family, hence the
precaution against cow's milk. I suppose he only *suspects* cow's milk
to be the culprit, as opposed to being *sure* its the cow's milk that
causing the dry skin patches. Or it could be the heat, we've been at 80
degrees the past week or so.

The other foods she has had are rice /oatmeal cereal, pear sauce and
yellow lentils and rice cereal (home made). All low allergy stuff.

If there is anyone else who has any more information about allergic
skin rashes, I'd be glad to hear it.

My son is 7 months old and did not gain any weight from his 2 month to
6 month checkups. (at 4 month he had grown 2 inches, so we figured he
was just thinning out from the 10lb 14oz that he was born at!) From
the 4month to 6 month he didn't gain anything and grew 3/4 inch. At
that point he was below the 5th percentile for weight.

That must have been stressful. But E has always been on the 5% for
weight. In fact when she was born, she was so little she was not even
on the chart. But she regained birth weight at 2 weeks, doubled birth
weight at 4 months, and has slowed her weight gain at 6 months (all
signs of growing babies). She is between the 75% and 95% for both
height and head circ. But she has always been at 5% for weight. She
just never *lost* weight before.

My doctor ordered a RAST test (blood test) to check for milk, soy and
egg allergies. The results came back high for all three. At that
point I went on an elimination diet and pumped and dumped for two
weeks. We gave Jeremy Nutramigen and he did great. He gained 1lb in
the manner of one week.

I will probably ask if that is what we should do. But her doctor is
very non interventionist (no offense to anybody), maddeningly so
sometimes, and *expects* her to be under the 5% at 9 months. I'll
probably schedule an appointment when she is 7.5 mo just to make sure
we are OK.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you further, but that's my story. (well...a
piece of it anyway...we've still got the eczema to deal with along with
my deep seeded fears that there are more allergies that they haven't
tested for yet!)

No No, not at all, plus with the family history of allergies, I was
going to get her tested at 1 yr of age, but I might consider getting it
done earlier.

So, bottom line, allergies CAN keep a child from gaining weight and
doing some testing can help you figure out what's going on. Hang in
there!

Thanks :-) Good to hear from someone who is BTDT. And thanks for
delurking to post this.
PK

Old June 16th 06, 08:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PattyMomVA wrote:
Continue the early morning pumping session on weekends (non-work days), if
you want to get even more milk to store.

As others have said, reverse cycling (nursing in evening and night) is very
common with breastfed infants who don't like bottles. DS did this. They
can thrive in this situation. In your DD's case, though, I'd watch her
output. She should still have lots of wet diapers. The weight loss doesn't
sound like something to be ignored.

Yes, she has about 8 wet diapers a day. Its on the low side I know, but
still within limits. I'm hoping she will pick up the weight gain, but
I'm going to schedule another appointment with the doctor in about 5
weeks just in case.

Thanks,
PK.

Old June 16th 06, 08:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Beth Kevles wrote:
Hi --

If your baby has a problem with cow's milk protein, then try to avoid
going to ANY formula. Just eliminate cow's milk proteins in your OWN
diet.

A surprisingly large percentage (15%? 30%? I can't recall just now) of
babies with cow's milk protein allergy DO react to the broken down
proteins in formulas such as Alimentum.

did not know that !! Thanks, I will look out for the reactions to
formula too.

And about 30% react to soy! So
for these babies, breast isn't just better, it's WAY BEST.

Not to mention less expensive :-P

PK

Old June 16th 06, 09:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an Ameda PY. No teas or fenugreek as yet. But the Ped advised me
to start them. I'll start this week, but I expect I won'ty see results
until the following week.

Oatmeal helps, too.

You're sure the suction on the pump is fine?

Jess