Bottles: Glass vs Plastic

Old June 30th 05, 08:51 PM
Elana

Default Bottles: Glass vs Plastic

Hello,
I'm a first time mom-to-be, and I'm not sure which bottles are better,
glass or plastic. Plastic are more convenient, don't break, and come
with features such as "natural shape" or air vents, such as Dr. Brown.
HOWEVER, I found a study that says some chemicals from plastic might
end up in the milk.
(http://www.kidsorganics.com/plastic%20bottles.htm). In this case,
glass is better, although not as convenient, and is heavier...

What do you think?
Elana

Old June 30th 05, 09:37 PM
Jamie Clark

I have one word for you...Plastics.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 09:39 PM
xkatx

"Elana" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I'm a first time mom-to-be, and I'm not sure which bottles are better,
glass or plastic. Plastic are more convenient, don't break, and come
with features such as "natural shape" or air vents, such as Dr. Brown.
HOWEVER, I found a study that says some chemicals from plastic might
end up in the milk.
(http://www.kidsorganics.com/plastic%20bottles.htm). In this case,
glass is better, although not as convenient, and is heavier...

What do you think?
Elana

I didn't really use bottles until my son was starting daycare at about 6
months, and I had sent him to daycare with expressed boob juice. IME, I
HATED plastic bottles. I found they got smelly real fast and were a lot
harder to clean. I liked the glass bottles for an infant because I never
once propped a bottle up or allowed for a small baby to be unsupervised or
not held while bottle feeding. Glass clean real nice, and does NOT smell,
even if you happen to skip out on doing dishes one day. I also found that
plastic bottles looked dirty, even if they were washed, because it seemed
that there was always some sort of residue junk on it that made the bottle
look cloudy and dirty.
When the baby got older, I went for the Playtex plastic bottles that had the
disposable inserts for them. I found these handy for the short time that
the baby was wanting to hold his own bottle, again, I would still hold him
and do the supervision thing, but I actually may not be able to say much
since I personally didn't really use bottles that much. My son went pretty
much from boob to sippy cup and we had the sippy cup mastered by the time he
was about 7 months old. But, yes, I did use bottles on a rare occasion, and
I found my preference was glass for infant and the plastic disposable liner
bottles for slightly older baby.

Old June 30th 05, 09:39 PM
KC

I also think that glass is easier to clean if you don't have a
dishwasher (which I haven't lately, but one is getting shipped here
soon). Milk goo just seems to stick to the plastic better than the
glass.

KC

Old June 30th 05, 09:42 PM
Caledonia

Elana wrote:
Hello,
I'm a first time mom-to-be, and I'm not sure which bottles are better,
glass or plastic. Plastic are more convenient, don't break, and come
with features such as "natural shape" or air vents, such as Dr. Brown.
HOWEVER, I found a study that says some chemicals from plastic might
end up in the milk.
(http://www.kidsorganics.com/plastic%20bottles.htm). In this case,
glass is better, although not as convenient, and is heavier...

What do you think?
Elana

I used glass, for expressed milk (at daycare and home). Just seemed
cleaner, and since the babies were never holding their own bottle, the
weight thing wasn't an issue. The biggest determinate of whether my
eldest would take expressed milk at daycare was the temperature -- she
liked the bottles warm (they were warmed in a crock pot), not lukewarm.
YMMV.

We transitioned from bottle to sippy cup, so the weight wasn't an issue
later, either.

Caledonia

Old June 30th 05, 09:47 PM
Amy

Elana wrote:

I'm a first time mom-to-be, and I'm not sure which bottles are better,
glass or plastic. Plastic are more convenient, don't break, and come
with features such as "natural shape" or air vents, such as Dr. Brown.
HOWEVER, I found a study that says some chemicals from plastic might
end up in the milk.
(http://www.kidsorganics.com/plastic%20bottles.htm). In this case,
glass is better, although not as convenient, and is heavier...

What do you think?

Breastfeed. Then you can avoid the whole issue.

Barring that, I think the risk of having the glass bottle break in or
around the baby and/or the baby's stuff far outweighs the slight
possibility that We're All Going To Die from plastics. Babies chew on
their plastic toys, too. So, unless you're going to buy a glass
teether (eek), the kid's going to be exposed to a whole heck of a lot
of plastic in his or her life. I can't think of a single thing I do
that doesn't involve plastic in some way (of course, that's usually a
credit card, but still...)

Hell, even the bubble that the Boy in a Bubble lived in was made of
plastic! You just can't get away from it. If We're All Going to Die,
we can take comfort in the fact that we're ALL going to die, you know?

Amy

Old June 30th 05, 09:57 PM
Elana

Amy, I'm definitely planning to breastfeed, but I also plan to store
expressed milk, and have a spare bottle on long outings, just in case I
won't have a chance to breastfeed then.

About "we're all going to die" issue: Sure, agreed. However, we all
want the best for our children anyway, don't we? So I'm trying to
figure out whether this "best" is glass or plastic. .

I appreciate your input, and you're absolutely right about the broken
glass danger. So glass bottles would definitely require more
supervision. But that's not too much to pay for a healthier child,
don't you think (that, of course, provided that plastic bottles are not
healthy, which is still a point of discussion)?.

Elana

Old June 30th 05, 10:03 PM
Jamie Clark

I find that there is so much stuff that I carry around in my diaper bag,
especially for 2 kids, that I wouldn't want the extra weight of glass
bottles as well. For me, they clean up perfectly well, and I always wash
them by hand. Plus, as my baby gets older, she can learn to hold it on her
own easier if it's plastic.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03 -- My Big Girl, who goes pee pee and poo poo on the
potty!
Addison Grace, 9/30/04 -- The Standing Fool, who climbs to standing every
chance she gets!

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 10:39 PM
Stormlady

I always use the playtex bottles with the disposable liners. Each liner is
used only once so I think any risk from the plastic is minimized, and it's
just so much more convenient without having to wash bottles all the time,
just throw away the liner and next time you have a new clean bottle. Any
risk from plastic never occurred to me to be honest, and now that it has
been mintioned, I am discounting it totally. Everything for our kids is
made from plastic so I'm not going to worry about her bottles.

Old June 30th 05, 11:08 PM
Caledonia

Caledonia wrote:
Elana wrote:
[...]

Following up my own post, I wanted to add that my choice was not driven
by hard science or an 'intense literature review' -- my own odd quirk
is that I can't stand to have anything I'll be consuming heated up in
plastic, whether it's in a microwave, poured into a plastic coffee cup,
whatnot. It's just a quirk of mine.

Caledonia
(who wonders if she's passed this quirkiness on to her children...)