Looking for downloadable kids learning software

Old November 13th 07, 05:40 AM posted to misc.kids
OhioGuy

Default Looking for downloadable kids learning software

My wife and I are looking for some downloadable learning software for the
kids. In the past we've bought some cheap CD based software at yard sales &
such for a few bucks, but half of the titles make you switch CD's every time
one of the kids wants to play another title.

No more of that - I'm sick of it. I figured the only way we can guarantee
no more disk swapping is if the software doesn't come on a disk in the first
place. My wife has a 2 GB USB flash drive, as well as high speed Internet
at work.

We are hoping to find somewhere a website that has lots of kids
learning/fun programs for download, either shareware or commercial software.

In the past, the kids have really enjoyed some of the Caillou programs,
and the Reader Rabbit series. Our daughter is 3, and son is 4.

Old November 13th 07, 08:11 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:40:33 -0500, OhioGuy wrote:

My wife and I are looking for some downloadable learning software for the
kids. In the past we've bought some cheap CD based software at yard sales &
such for a few bucks, but half of the titles make you switch CD's every time
one of the kids wants to play another title.

No more of that - I'm sick of it. I figured the only way we can guarantee
no more disk swapping is if the software doesn't come on a disk in the first
place. My wife has a 2 GB USB flash drive, as well as high speed Internet
at work.

We are hoping to find somewhere a website that has lots of kids
learning/fun programs for download, either shareware or commercial software.

In the past, the kids have really enjoyed some of the Caillou programs,
and the Reader Rabbit series. Our daughter is 3, and son is 4.

My kids like the PBS site. Lots of learning games there.
Old November 13th 07, 02:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

Get an ISO disk imaging utility (The one we have is PowerISO, which is
shareware). This lets you create ISO images of CDs, then mount them
virtually, so the computer thinks there's multiple CD drives. We did this
with my daughter's computer for exactly the same reason you site, and it's
well worth it. I believe we can have 10 CDs mounted at a time, which is a
pretty wide variety of software.

There are decent kids online sites, but I've not found really good
children's downloads. What we've done for the online stuff is create desktop
icons specific to those sites, and removed all navigation bars/buttons from
her copy of IE. So far, it's worked well. We have PBSkids.org, Starfall.com,
and AGkids.com (the last being not nearly as educational, but she loves Care
Bears).

Old November 13th 07, 02:38 PM posted to misc.kids
OhioGuy

My kids like the PBS site. Lots of learning games there.

How large is the average game download there? We only have dialup, so it
would need to be under 70 megabytes.

Old November 13th 07, 03:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

My 2yo likes to just type letters and numbers using Notepad (the free
text editor that comes with Windows). He enjoys describing what he has
typed ("3 B's"). I set the font to a very large size.

Old November 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
My kids like the PBS site. Lots of learning games there.

How large is the average game download there? We only have dialup, so it
would need to be under 70 megabytes.

It's played live, as are most of the kid's sites. The only downloads site I
know of is NickArcade.com, and I tend to avoid those.

I'd strongly suggest the disk imaging software, especially if you only have
dial-up. Kid's CD-roms are inexpensive and easy to find.

Old November 13th 07, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"OhioGuy" wrote in
:

My kids like the PBS site. Lots of learning games there.

How large is the average game download there? We only
have dialup, so it
would need to be under 70 megabytes.

really really sloooooow.
seriously, i refused to even try to go there for my son when
he was in the 3-5 age range. it just too long (well over 5
minutes) to download & the same every time a screen changed.
it was far too frustrating for him, even though i always
warned him in advance that it wasn't going to "work right"
because we had dial-up.
lee
Old November 13th 07, 11:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

On Nov 12, 11:40 pm, "OhioGuy" wrote:
My wife and I are looking for some downloadable learning software for the
kids. In the past we've bought some cheap CD based software at yard sales &
such for a few bucks, but half of the titles make you switch CD's every time
one of the kids wants to play another title.

No more of that - I'm sick of it. I figured the only way we can guarantee
no more disk swapping is if the software doesn't come on a disk in the first
place. My wife has a 2 GB USB flash drive, as well as high speed Internet
at work.

We are hoping to find somewhere a website that has lots of kids
learning/fun programs for download, either shareware or commercial software.

In the past, the kids have really enjoyed some of the Caillou programs,
and the Reader Rabbit series. Our daughter is 3, and son is 4.

Your kids are a little young for this, but I'll put in a plug for
scratch, the programming language for kids from MIT.

http://scratch.mit.edu/

Tailored more for the 6-18 year old range. Easily-downloaded, fully-
supported, readily-grasped, and all sorts of other positives.

Caledonia

Old November 14th 07, 04:37 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:09:57 -0800, Beliavsky
wrote:

My 2yo likes to just type letters and numbers using Notepad (the free
text editor that comes with Windows). He enjoys describing what he has
typed ("3 B's"). I set the font to a very large size.

Your 2 year old might enjoy Babytype too. It is fun for the younger
set.

http://www.raize.com/CProducts/BabyType/Default.asp

--
Dorothy