how old...

Old December 16th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

Default how old...

My son just turned 7. I am thinking of getting him a skateboard for
Christmas. He wont be able to ride it in our driveway (once it turns
spring). And I guess I just got to thinking, at what age do you let the kids
walk over to the playground / school parking lot? Or anywhere nearby. In our
case, the playground is right next door, but this is rural so right next
door is not right next door....

He definitely is not ready now. He is just too much of a space shot. He will
walk right into a moving car and never notice. But I wanted to know what the
reality was for some of you all and your kids.

Thanks

Old December 16th 07, 08:42 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Stephanie" wrote in
:

My son just turned 7. I am thinking of getting him a
skateboard for Christmas. He wont be able to ride it in our
driveway (once it turns spring). And I guess I just got to
thinking, at what age do you let the kids walk over to the
playground / school parking lot? Or anywhere nearby. In our
case, the playground is right next door, but this is rural
so right next door is not right next door....

He definitely is not ready now. He is just too much of a
space shot. He will walk right into a moving car and never
notice. But I wanted to know what the reality was for some
of you all and your kids.

yeah, my 7 year old is a space shot too. this summer there
will be a kid across the street & i'm even iffy about letting
him cross to play by himself, & we are in a rural area too. i
have no qualms about him playing over in our pond or in the
woods by himself, but cross the street, i dunno... there's not
much traffic, but what there is goes well over the 25MPH speed
limit (usually 45 or so) & it's hilly and twisty.
OTOH, i remember being allowed to walk by myself to the store
and post office in my grandmother's small town when i was 4
years old & that involved crossing streets. of course, i
wasn't as much of a space shot, either...
lee
Old December 16th 07, 08:57 PM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_2_]

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
My son just turned 7. I am thinking of getting him a skateboard for
Christmas. He wont be able to ride it in our driveway (once it turns
spring). And I guess I just got to thinking, at what age do you let the
kids walk over to the playground / school parking lot? Or anywhere nearby.
In our case, the playground is right next door, but this is rural so right
next door is not right next door....

He definitely is not ready now. He is just too much of a space shot. He
will walk right into a moving car and never notice. But I wanted to know
what the reality was for some of you all and your kids.

Thanks

With other kids, maybe 8 or 9, alone at 10 , maybe, depending on the time of
day - our road gets busy and there aren't any sidewalks on certain parts of
it.

Old December 17th 07, 03:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Dec 16, 2:17�pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
My son just turned 7. I am thinking of getting him a skateboard for
Christmas. He wont be able to ride it in our driveway (once it turns
spring). And I guess I just got to thinking, at what age do you let the kids
walk over to the playground / school parking lot? Or anywhere nearby. In our
case, the playground is right next door, but this is rural so right next
door is not right next door....

He definitely is not ready now. He is just too much of a space shot. He will
walk right into a moving car and never notice. But I wanted to know what the
reality was for some of you all and your kids.

Thanks

My 2 older kids are 10 and 8 and they don't walk anywhere out of my
sight. I let them walk to other homes on our street, but that is it.
When I get a feel that they can defend themselves appropriately should
the need arise, or at least give it a shot without being tricked, or
within a group of friends, then I'll consider it. Of course, an 11-
year-old girl was just found murdered a couple of towns away from here
on her way from point A to point B, which always brings to mind that
they aren't ever really safe, regardless of how long you wish to keep
them in the bubble.