How to test for lead in finger paint

Old January 14th 04, 05:25 PM
Earl

Default How to test for lead in finger paint

My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent recalls I
am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

How do I know?

also, are there any home kits I can buy to test ?

Thanks

Old January 14th 04, 05:34 PM
Mark ProbertJanuary 14, 2004

"Earl" wrote in message
et...
My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent recalls

am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

I looked at the FDA and FTC websites and found no recent recalls of finger
paints. Where di dyou get this information?

Old January 14th 04, 06:31 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Earl" wrote
My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent recalls

am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

I would be very surprised in any finger paint has lead in it.

Old January 14th 04, 06:36 PM
Mark ProbertJanuary 14, 2004

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
. net...
"Earl" wrote
My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent

recalls
am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

I would be very surprised in any finger paint has lead in it.

uh-oh...we agree....especially I could not find any reference to a re-call
on two US sites and Google News.

Maybe it is the black helicopters....

Old January 15th 04, 12:10 AM
Laura Faussone

If you're concerned, you can make your own finger paint with vanilla pudding
and food coloring ...

Old January 15th 04, 11:24 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Earl" wrote:

My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent recalls I
am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

What "recent recalls"?

also, are there any home kits I can buy to test ?

Make your own - it's cheaper. Use any kind of thick, clear
edible stuff (cornstarch and water) with either tempera paint or
food coloring (buy the paste stuff meant for frostings, it's much
stronger than the bottled stuff)

Or use ivory soap flakes, a bit of water, and the colorant. The
kids won't eat much of it.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like
politicians invoking morality and children - grab your wallet and/or

Old January 19th 04, 07:04 AM
Brandy Kurtz

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message . ..
"Earl" wrote:

My kids like to play with the finger painting and with the recent recalls I
am now concerned that the stuff may have lead in it.

What "recent recalls"?

I didn't hear of any recalls either. Wow, could you imagine a recall
because of lead in finger paints..*gasp*.

also, are there any home kits I can buy to test ?

I think that Ace Hardware stores or Lowe's or Home Depot carry lead
testing kits. You take a swab of the area and send it away to be
tested.

Make your own - it's cheaper. Use any kind of thick, clear
edible stuff (cornstarch and water) with either tempera paint or
food coloring (buy the paste stuff meant for frostings, it's much
stronger than the bottled stuff)

Or use ivory soap flakes, a bit of water, and the colorant. The
kids won't eat much of it.

Tsu Dho Nimh

You are right! They won't eat much of it, but they *will* rub it in
their eyes...

Brandy

Darned Standardized Tests Iowacookiemom General (moderated) 32 April 25th 04 12:24 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Pregnancy 0 December 15th 03 09:43 AM
misc.kids FAQ on the Pregnancy AFP Screen and the Triple Screen [email protected] Pregnancy 0 December 15th 03 09:42 AM
for women MISS PHD Pregnancy 1 October 7th 03 11:48 AM
lead testing H Schinske General (moderated) 7 July 24th 03 11:25 PM