Smoked foods ok?

Old June 5th 04, 01:18 AM
Ed Evans

Default Smoked foods ok?

I'm trying to find out if smoked foods are ok during pregnancy. I know
deli-style "smoked" stuff is dangerous because of listeria, nitrites,
etc., but what about meat that's smoked at home?

Unless there something inherently bad in the smoking process, I can't
see the danger of regular meat that's been exposed to 250+ degrees for
hours and hours.

Am I way off base?

Cheers,
Ed Evans
Old June 5th 04, 01:21 AM
Jamie Clark

It's not the smoked part of deli meats that is bad, it's the deli part.
Home smoked foods should be fine.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

m...

Old June 7th 04, 04:34 PM
Bóliath

Jamie Clark wrote:
It's not the smoked part of deli meats that is bad, it's the deli part.

Does that mean I shouldn't buy sliced ham for sandwiches?

Old June 7th 04, 05:40 PM
Jamie Clark

Honestly, I think everyone has a different take on this, and different risk
acceptability levels.

Personally, I think prepackaged deli meats are okay for listeria, whereas
deli counter meats aren't, as they are sitting out for longer periods of
time. That's how I always approached it. I'm sure someone else will chime
in.

Foods Jennifer and Robert Howe General 3 June 13th 04 01:17 PM
Choking on finger foods?? Lizajane Pregnancy 8 February 4th 04 05:18 AM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
Introducing foods Marie General 22 October 31st 03 09:08 PM
how allergenic are these foods? Sara General 5 August 8th 03 03:48 PM