how to prevent embarrassing situation

Old January 17th 04, 02:27 AM
toypup

Default how to prevent embarrassing situation

"AGreen1209" wrote in message
My thoughts exactly. Anyway, at a time like that,

It isn't like you could control it, right? I'd imagine it was a

combination of
relief that the birth was over (physical and mental relief), excitement

over
the new baby, all the blood in the area, and the warm water being squirted
there. I've never heard of it happening, but it's probably not anything

the
nurses hadn't seen before. I'm sure it happens. FWIW, I had a bowel

movement
during one of my delivieres, and it really wasn't a big deal - hey, I was

busy
doing other things, you know ;-)

Yeah, but BM's happen all the time. Now, if this happened all the time, I
could feel better about it. However, from the response of the doc and rn, I
don't think it does, or I'm hoping I'm imagining things.

Old January 17th 04, 02:55 AM
Chotii

wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:27:59 GMT, in misc.kids.pregnancy "toypup"

wrote:

[...]

I've got it on video.. I need to figure out how to erase that part..

I'm thinking that it's not entirely unusual. Leila at www.birthlove.com
talks about birth as an orgasmic experience (clearly not for everyone, but
it's not unheard of, either).

--angela

Old January 17th 04, 03:02 AM
JennP

"toypup" wrote in message

Yeah, but BM's happen all the time. Now, if this happened all the time, I
could feel better about it. However, from the response of the doc and rn,

don't think it does, or I'm hoping I'm imagining things.

But you don't know that for sure. If the docs and nurses were surprised,
maybe it's because most of their patients have epi's and can't feel a thing
anyway? I'd bet it happens more often than you think.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old January 17th 04, 03:02 AM
JennP

"toypup" wrote in message

The last time, I gave birth with no epi. I had a 4th degree tear. They
injected lidocaine locally to stitch me up. They squirted water on me to
clean me up while the ob sewed. At that moment, I must have had the

biggest
O in my life. Everyone was staring down there. I just pretended I didn't
feel anything, but I knew they were all stopping for something, so they

must
have known.

Didn't happen to me, but I had an epi. I'm sure the docs and nurses have
seen that before. Hey, they were squirting water on you. What did they
expect!

You know, you could think of it as a gift with purchase.
--
JennP. (hoping you are a cosmetics shopper and "got" the GWP. I know, bad
joke)

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old January 17th 04, 05:21 AM
Amy

I'm sure you're not the first to do that. They may not have known, perhaps
they stopped because they were worried that you could feel something and
they were hurting you.
My mother described the birth of my brother as orgasmic, and I remember
being a little horrified and disgusted, not that she enjoyed it, but that my
mother would tell me something like that lol.
I'm kinda glad she did though, because I found my birth experience a moving
and sensual experience, while I didn't O.
There is no wrong way to feel, and each birth is different, I'd be surprised
if things went exactly the same the next time around. Might I say though,
you are one amazing woman to have such an O when you have a huge great tear
and a local anesthetic. People spend lots of time and money on research on
how to make women O, and you get there just like that. Kudos to you!

"toypup" wrote in message
> [...]
Here's a problem I've never ever read in this ng. It was very

embarrassing
last time. I'm not sure if there's anyone IRL I'm willing to spring this
on, so I'll spring it on the entire world semi-anonymously and hopefully

no
one reading will know who I am IRL or care. ;-)

The last time, I gave birth with no epi. I had a 4th degree tear. They
injected lidocaine locally to stitch me up. They squirted water on me to
clean me up while the ob sewed. At that moment, I must have had the

biggest
O in my life. Everyone was staring down there. I just pretended I didn't
feel anything, but I knew they were all stopping for something, so they

must
have known. It was a shock to me, considering the damage that had just
occurred. Anyway, I wonder how common this is, if the midwives or doulas
here have ever noticed it or if any moms had ever had it happen to them.

hope it happens all the time, because it was so embarrassing. Anyway, I'm
hoping not to tear this time, so no one will be staring down under for

long
after birth this time. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep this from
happening again?

Old January 17th 04, 05:22 AM
Amy

Yeah, but BM's happen all the time. Now, if this happened all the time, I
could feel better about it. However, from the response of the doc and rn,

don't think it does, or I'm hoping I'm imagining things.

I've got it on video.. I need to figure out how to erase that part..

That's why no-one's getting near me with our video camera until the baby's
on my stomach.

Old January 17th 04, 08:03 AM
toypup

"Chotii" wrote in message
news:Ku1Ob.4823934 I'm thinking that it's not entirely unusual. Leila at
www.birthlove.com
talks about birth as an orgasmic experience (clearly not for everyone, but
it's not unheard of, either).

Thanks. I didn't think to look on the web. Silly me, since I look there
for just about everything else. Seems like I'm not the only one. Okay,
makes me feel better. I'm just glad that it's not something that happened
during labor or I might be inhibited and hold back when I shouldn't. When I
had DS, I was looking for the euphoria that comes immediately after and was
a little disappointed that I didn't feel it. Of course, that was before
they squirted water, but since I was so mortified, I hardly described it as
euphoric. This time, I'll sit back and take it all in. Maybe it'll happen
again.

Old January 17th 04, 01:25 PM
Mary

We happened to be on the phone with a nurse friend of DH's as I was
reading this, so I asked if she'd ever heard of it. I quote, "Oh, yes.
It's more common than you'd think. No big deal."

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months

Old January 17th 04, 02:02 PM
Sue

Hi toypup,

While I have never heard of this happening, I can't imagine that it would be
a big deal. However, I wanted to address the reaction of the doctor and
nurse. I am not really sure what happens "down there" when you have an
orgasm, but I wanted to say that the doctor probably stopped doing what he
was doing because you were pulsating and/or swollen for a bit? And he
couldn't continue stitching you up until it had stopped for not wanting to
hurt you or stitching the wrong place. Anyway, don't let this inhibit you. I
like what the others have said that was an euphoric ending to having go
through the pain of childbirth. ) Doctors and nurses have truly seen it
all and unless they are real schmuks and react in a bad way, then don't be
embarassed.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 17th 04, 08:33 PM
New York Jen

Stared? I mean, were you doing a whole Meg Ryan from "When Harry Met
Sally"? How would they know?

"toypup" wrote in message

"New York Jen" wrote in message
. net...
Never heard of it happening, but why on earth would you not want it to
happen again?!?! I'd think something so pleasurable at such a

physically
painful time would a welcome surprise!

It was a surprise, but I didn't welcome it because everyone was down

there,
especially the doc and the nurse, who just stopped and stared.

Maybe it has something to do with
all the blood flow down there from all the pushing and tearing?

That's my guess.

Please, folks, someone tell me it's normal.