How many c/s can you safely have?

Old June 5th 04, 11:51 AM
Amy

Default How many c/s can you safely have?

My friend has just given birth to her second son, was hoping to vbac but he
was 9lb and she spent hours and hours without pain relief with contrax 3
mins apart, and failed to progress, so she got a repeat C. She's bounced
back from it, has recovered a lot better than with her first, but she's a
little upset because she's always hoped for 4-5 children.
I said I'm sure you can have several c/s, and I think I've seen someone on
mkp who had a vbac after 3 c/s, so it must be possible. It is likely that
any future children she has, given her history, will also be born by c/s, so
how many can you safely have? Does the risk of uterine rupture etc or risks
to the baby go up with each c/s?
Any stories/experiences appreciated.

Old June 5th 04, 02:09 PM
Sophie

"Amy" wrote in message
My friend has just given birth to her second son, was hoping to vbac but

he
was 9lb and she spent hours and hours without pain relief with contrax 3
mins apart, and failed to progress, so she got a repeat C. She's bounced
back from it, has recovered a lot better than with her first, but she's a
little upset because she's always hoped for 4-5 children.
I said I'm sure you can have several c/s, and I think I've seen someone on
mkp who had a vbac after 3 c/s, so it must be possible. It is likely that
any future children she has, given her history, will also be born by c/s,

so
how many can you safely have? Does the risk of uterine rupture etc or

risks
to the baby go up with each c/s?
Any stories/experiences appreciated.

Depends on how you recover, it's completely personal. I know some people,
including my mother, who are stuck on the old rule that a woman could only
have 2. I personally think that's cos a lot of Drs only want people to have
2 children.

I'll be having my 4th c-section in July. I only want 4 children so that's
fine with me, but I'm lucky to be eeking out this last one.

I belong to an online large family forum where women have had 6, 7, even 8
c-sections - some only c-sections, some with a mix of vaginal births too.

You friend needs to talk to her Dr. Depending on *her* uterus, *her*
health, she *could* have those 4 or 5 children.
Failure to progess is too vague to know if she has an actual problem that
will repeat itself and will always need c-sections.

For my last pregnancy and this one it's not recommended that I go into labor
(doesn't happen anyway) but my Dr doesn't seem particularly concerned that
this'll be my 4th, it doesn't make me high risk or anything.

I understand how your friend feels. You *do* feel like c-sections limit the
# of kids you have have, which is no big deal if you're like most people and
only want 2, but when you want more it does bum you out. But she needs to
ask her Dr. I had 3 Drs independantly look at my medical record and tell me
if a 4th pregnancy would be safe. They all said yes so we went for it.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 5th 04, 07:32 PM
Leslie

Amy said:

I said I'm sure you can have several c/s, and I think I've seen someone on
mkp who had a vbac after 3 c/s, so it must be possible.

That was me. :-)

I've never had anyone tell me there was a limit on either the number of
sections I could have or on the number of pregnancies I can have after having
had so many sections. My doctor in fact said that the place where a scar heals
back is just as strong as the original tissue.

I'm pregnant with #5 now and planning another VBAC. My doctor knows we will
probably have another after this and he didn't say anything negative about it.

Have to say, though, that for me sections are such dreadful experiences that I
likely would have stopped at one child if I had KNOWN the next two would be
surgical births. I personally could not face four planned sections in a row,
like Sophie. YMMV.

Leslie

Old June 5th 04, 07:39 PM
Alissa

I was told it's 4 by my neighbour who had 4 c/s and was told not to get
pregnant again by her DR....I would reassure her, she need not worry about
it yet, next time she may be able to have a VBAC anyway...
Alissa

Old June 5th 04, 09:08 PM
Sophie

Have to say, though, that for me sections are such dreadful experiences
that I
likely would have stopped at one child if I had KNOWN the next two would

be
surgical births. I personally could not face four planned sections in a

row,
like Sophie. YMMV.

Leslie

Well I do have to say the closer *the* day gets, the more my "issues" are
starting to come up from Lewis' birth. Luckily my Dr knows all about it.
But I know I'll be super nervous the night before and day of.
I might hate c-sections too, if I'd experienced any other kind of birth, ya
know? But it's all I know.

Old June 6th 04, 03:06 AM
Leslie

Sophie said:

Well I do have to say the closer *the* day gets, the more my "issues" are
starting to come up from Lewis' birth. Luckily my Dr knows all about it.

(((Sophie))) I'm sure that since they know all about it they will be extra
careful.

Once thing about all my sections, they were unscheduled and two of them were
complete surprises, so I didn't have a chance to think about it and be nervous
beforehand. I just got to be upset afterwards!

Leslie

Old June 6th 04, 07:07 AM
Amy

Hey thanks Leslie, I'll let her know you're on to #5 already, it'll make her
day :-) She was saying "I want another" before they even got her out of
theatre, lol...
She bounces back well from her c-sections, and while she had hoped for a
vbac I think having the children for her is much more important than how
they get here. I don't think I could be that stoic! They are reluctant to
let you vbac here if you've had a couple of c/s, the OB's are a little old
school (actually just old in general) where I live.

Old June 6th 04, 07:10 AM
Amy

Hey thanks Sophie, I'll let her know, I'd forgotten all yours were born by
c/s. I know they didn't really want her to go to term with this one (as she
wanted to vbac, and they were worried bub would be too big) but even if she
has the c/s a little earlier. Her first was at 38 weeks after a failed
induction for preclampsia, her baby went into distress after she was
induced.

#4 due July 7, 2004

Old June 6th 04, 02:35 PM
JoFromOz

The more sections you have, the more chance of uterine rupture you have, and
placental implantation problems.
Scar tissue *is* more friable than intact tissue.

When the surgeon opens her up he/she will see how well the old scar has
held. It is particularly scary to be looking *through* a paper-thin c/s scar
at the unborn baby... you wonder how long it would have held for.

Each person is different, but she will get more of an idea about how strong
her uterine muscles are holding with the scar when the surgeon can actually
see the old scar.

I haven't heard of any flat limits, but the risks do increase with each
section.

HTH

Jo (RM)

Old June 6th 04, 03:06 PM
Unadulterated Me

JoFromOz wrote:

When the surgeon opens her up he/she will see how well the old scar has
held. It is particularly scary to be looking *through* a paper-thin c/s scar
at the unborn baby... you wonder how long it would have held for.

My understanding is that it is not the scar that becomes windowed it is
patches of uterine muscle surrounding it, but I could be wrong there, I
haven't really looked that deeply into it (no pun intended).
Also I have heard opinion on ICAN that perhaps the paper thin uterus is
a normal thing, especially in multips. Because really the only time you
get to see this paper thin, windowed uterus phenomenon in when someone
has surgically opened you up to have a look. How do we know this sort of
thing isn't physiologically normal and happens all the time without
incident.