Predicting Ovulation

Old July 22nd 03, 09:10 PM

Default Predicting Ovulation

Hi...another post on behalf of my low-tech wife:

My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant
for the last 6 months. I got off the birth control
pill in Jan'03 and we started trying since then. Since then,
my periods have been quite regular with either a 27 or 28 day
cycle, the 28 day one being more common.
From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best
guess showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15
Although on my last cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate
until day 18.
Is it possible that the day you ovulate varies
that much from cycle to cycle?
Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day
cycle?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
Kereru

wrote in message

Hi...another post on behalf of my low-tech wife:

My husband & I have been trying to get pregnant
for the last 6 months. I got off the birth control
pill in Jan'03 and we started trying since then. Since then,
my periods have been quite regular with either a 27 or 28 day
cycle, the 28 day one being more common.
From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best
guess showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15
Although on my last cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate
until day 18.
Is it possible that the day you ovulate varies
that much from cycle to cycle?
Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day
cycle?

Thanks in advance!

From what I have read the part of your cycle which varies is the part before
ovulation. The part after ovulation (luteal phase) is usually the same every
month. You can ovulate late due to stress, illness etc.. but then it will
still be the same amount of time between ovulation and your period.

So if you normally ovulated on day 14 and get your period on day 28 then
your luteal phase is about 14 days. So if for some reason you ovulated later
this month on day 18 then with a forteen day luteal phase you can expect
your period on about day 32. So even if you are pregnant it may not show up
positive yet because you aren't due for your period and HPTs are usually
most effective when you have missed your period.

Good Luck

Old July 23rd 03, 03:00 AM
Aprill

wrote in message
From all my charting experiences to predict ovulation, my best
guess showed that I usually ovulated around day 14/15
Although on my last cycle, it seemed like I did not ovulate
until day 18.
Is it possible that the day you ovulate varies
that much from cycle to cycle?
Also, is it possible to ovulate on day 18 & still be on a 28 day
cycle?

Hi... I had a strange situation where I was regulary ovulating on day
18/19 but my luteal phase often varied wildly between 10 days right down
to 5 days! so I was about to head off to a gyno when lo' and behold I
managed to get pregnant even with my freaky cycles.

So I believe that it is possible given my experience but it seems mine
is in no way common. :\

i only hope that when I'm TTC next time that my cycle has sorted itself out.

all the best

Aprill
EDD #1 14th Feb 04
(TTC 12 months)