School lunch ideas

Old August 27th 03, 04:37 PM
Wendy Marsden

Default School lunch ideas

Cross-posted to misc.kids and alt.support.diet:

My boys are 10 and 4. They have to pack lunches and the lunches
are not refrigerated nor do they have access to a microwave.

I bought some whole wheat roll-up bread. Now what? :-)

So far the sandwich ideas a (pick one)

Peanut butter & jelly
Turkey and cheese coldcuts with mayo & shredded lettuce
Tuna and apple with mayo & shredded lettuce

For sides and snacks I send (pick two):

A small bag of almonds
Granola bars
Applesauce cups
Fruit cups
Fresh fruit
Yogurt cups or "go-gurts"
Fig newtons

My 10 year old has a slight weight problem I want to nip in the
bud. He wants to eat the school lunch. Guess what, they allow kids in
4th and 5th grade to go back for seconds. (He ate school lunch through
most of last year, 4th grade, and I just TODAY discovered he was getting
seconds of that crap.)

I want to keep him bringing his own lunch as long as I can. The four
year old is bringing a packed lunch for the first time. Any new ideas for
my boys?

Wendy
Old August 27th 03, 04:46 PM
determined

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
[...]

I don't see anything wrong with going back for seconds, as long as what they
serve is healthy - but if it's anything like what we were served when I was
in school, everything is basically fried crap...

I send my daughter things like baggies of the Genisoy soy puff crisps - high
in protein and fiber, low in calories and fat. Also, beef and turkey
jerkey, and homemade cookies made with oats, wheat germ, etc. I might also
consider things like individually sliced cheddar, rye crisps, etc.

det

Old August 27th 03, 05:57 PM
Clisby

Wendy Marsden wrote:
[...]

My daughter likes soups/stews for lunch - Target sells nice small
thermoses (in the camping section). The only trick is that to make
them work, you have to be sure that what you pack is liquid-y. So
when I pack chili, for example, I heat it up and add enough water to
make it soupier than usual - otherwise it just doesn't stay hot. Same
thing with beef stew; soup, obviously, already is liquid enough.

She used to like (for some reason this is no longer a favorite)
for me to pack the makings of a taco (shredded cheese, chicken, lettuce
and taco shell.) If they like pasta salad or bean salad, you could
pack that with one of ice-pack things to keep it cool.

Clisby

Old August 27th 03, 06:13 PM
rosie readandpost

wendy,
they sell, soft sided, insulated lunch totes.
you can throw one of those reusable freezer things in each morning!
(my "reusable freezer things" are big M+M's !)

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgment of the facts of a
situation, then deciding what you're going to do about it."
........................K.C. Theisen

Old August 27th 03, 06:25 PM
LFortier

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Cross-posted to misc.kids and alt.support.diet:

My boys are 10 and 4. They have to pack lunches and the lunches
are not refrigerated nor do they have access to a microwave.

snip

Our lunches are also not refrigerated, so I get one of those
freezer cold pacs for perishable days.

Main course ideas at our house:
PBJ (of course)
peanut butter on saltines
turkey and cheese in a pita half
turkey with ranch, parmesan and lettuce rolled up in a tortilla
cheddar cheese with crackers
soup in thermos
salad pita - lettuce with toppings in a pita, dressing in a
separate container

Sides:
pretzels
baby carrots (with ranch dressing for one child)
celery sticks to be dunked in peanut butter
fruit
goldfish

Good luck-
Lesley

Old August 27th 03, 07:25 PM
Denise

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
Cross-posted to misc.kids and alt.support.diet:

My boys are 10 and 4. They have to pack lunches and the lunches
are not refrigerated nor do they have access to a microwave.

I bought some whole wheat roll-up bread. Now what? :-)

So far the sandwich ideas a (pick one)

Peanut butter & jelly
Turkey and cheese coldcuts with mayo & shredded lettuce
Tuna and apple with mayo & shredded lettuce

For sides and snacks I send (pick two):

A small bag of almonds
Granola bars
Applesauce cups
Fruit cups
Fresh fruit
Yogurt cups or "go-gurts"
Fig newtons

My all time favorite lunch treat when I was in school, were dippers.
Carrots or celery with a tiny tupperware container of Ranch dressing. I
*loathed* bringing tunafish to school, because by lunch time it smelled
horrible and everyone in the school knew what I was eating for lunch.
For snacks you could also try dry fruit, trail mixes, popcorn in a ziplock
bag, packages of fruit treats, low-fat pudding cups.

Old August 27th 03, 09:05 PM
Patricia Heil

Since the lunches are not refrigerated meats and mayo
are both risky. Unless you send the tuna in pop-top
cans. Instead of mayo use mustard. Send veggie/fruit
stuff and make sure they get their protein safely at
home. Also make sure they know if they spend their
allowance on the candy machines and stuff, they don't
get extra for school supplies (or whatever the rules
are for using their allowance).

Old August 27th 03, 09:16 PM
motu

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message

My 10 year old has a slight weight problem I want to nip in the
bud. He wants to eat the school lunch. Guess what, they allow kids in
4th and 5th grade to go back for seconds. (He ate school lunch through
most of last year, 4th grade, and I just TODAY discovered he was getting
seconds of that crap.)

Maybe more parents should approach the system to change what they serve.
Look at what Detroit schools have accomplished, they went from "worst to
first" in the school lunch department.
http://www.freep.com/news/education/...2_20030822.htm

If they can do it, anyone can. They have not had the most stellar
reputation for providing kids what they need. I'm glad to see them start to
turn things around.

I want to keep him bringing his own lunch as long as I can. The four
year old is bringing a packed lunch for the first time. Any new ideas for
my boys?

whole wheat pasta salad with veggies and beans/chicken

baked skinless chicken

ants on a log, (celery, peanut butter, topped with raisins)
can use light cream cheese and any dried fruit, instead

bean dip and cheese rolled in a tortilla, salsa to dip or add

hummus with sliced pita or flat bread, (flat bread can be oven baked to make
chips the day before and comes in whole wheat and veggie versions)

salsa and whole wheat pita chips

ww bread with peanut butter and banana slices

homemade pumpkin/zuchini/carrot/banana bread

homemade oatmeal/raisin cookie

quesadillas made with veggie slices and cream cheese and leftover grilled
chicken

For the younger set,
get some picks and alternate cucumber rounds, zucchini rounds, carrot slices
on the pick. put on a radish "head" and carve a face on it or use a cherry
tomato. you can use cream cheese for the glue. Plastic drink cocktail
stirs or straws, coffee stirs all can work for this. kids like to make
their own "caterpillars"

flavored mineral water to replace soda

Old August 27th 03, 09:42 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Wendy Marsden wrote:

[...]

This may seem a bit weird, but I freeze the go-gurts (the yogurt in a
tube thing). DD likes it frozen although I'm sure by lunch it's merely
cold.

You can use something other than bread - I'm thinking pita. DD liked
pita with peanut butter to spread on it (she hates jam). I also throw
in carrots or celery.

I also always put in a freeze-pack to keep the food cold.

Jeanne

Old August 27th 03, 10:01 PM
motu

"Jayjay" wrote in message
Motu - these are all AWESOME suggestions! I'm keeping them for
myself and my son (and FDH). Thank you.

What's funny is - many of these suggestions we do for dinner, yet for
some reason BF can take leftovers of dinner for lunch - and DS
occasionally does, but those aren't always the first thought ideas.

You're welcome. They include items we pack in our cooler for "road snacks"
so we don't have to settle for fast food on long drives. I admit I haven't
made "food creatures" in quite awhile, however.