Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

Old January 10th 04, 01:39 AM
Nate Nagel

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

Stephen! wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

Do what they did at my High School... Host fair fights... If you
had a beef with someone and wanted to square it without getting in
trouble the two of you would go to the Vice Principle... He'd escort
you to the gym and strap the gloves on you. He'd then stick around
and referree the fight until one of you gave up... It was really
great to be able to settle things without getting in trouble... It
pretty much eliminated the "after school parking lot fights"...

That's a great idea, but it would never fly. First time someone loses
a tooth or splits an eyebrow, there's gonna be a lawsuit.

Did you miss the part where I said "DO WHAT THEY DID..."??

I caught it, and noticed the past tense.

This was NOT a hypothetical solution... It happened on an alomst daily
basis... As far as I know, 20some years later, it is STILL HAPPENING...

I seriously doubt it... I went to a pretty redneck high school and
there were enough touchy-feelies there to pretty much rule out such an
idea, even back then (graduated in '92.) Either you went to a REAL
rural high school or I'd bet $20 that somewhere along the line that
practice was dropped. Nevertheless, I still think it's a great idea.

nate

--
go dry to reply.
http://www.toad.net/~njnagel

Old January 10th 04, 01:52 AM
Stephen!

"Circe" wrote in

As someone who got as far as starting her thesis, let me point out
that there is a surfeit of PhDs who can't get a job in their own
fields (because there are relatively few available in a lot of fields)
and who therefore do all sorts of other things for a living. Some of
them might do manual labor, for all I know. My uncle, PhD in Medeival
Studies, sells cars. Not physical labor, but not exactly a job
requiring an advanced degree, either...

Which comes right around to my original point... Waste your time and
money getting all those "advanced" degrees to end up cleaning the ****
stains out of someone else's toilet... Good game plan there, fer-sher...

--
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Old January 10th 04, 01:54 AM
Stephen!

Nan wrote in
:

"do it for the children"? No, we're simply disputing Jon's apparent
attitude that the teenager he griped about should have taken
sub-wages.

You're right. He shoulda slapped the ****ing ingrate and made him do the
work just so he wouldn't slap him again...

If Jon posted from rec.motorcycles, that's your issue.

Not at all... You whiney jokers are amusing...

--
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Old January 10th 04, 01:55 AM
Stephen!

"Circe" wrote in

Half the time, the self-serve lanes are not
operational and half the time, when they are, something rings up
incorrectly and you must get someone to fix it.

So they only work properly one out of four times? Hell, I must have some
real good luck. Maybe I should start buying lottery tickets that way.

--
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Old January 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Stephen!

Nate Nagel wrote in news:3ffe00f4_6
@newsfeed.slurp.net:

I seriously doubt it... I went to a pretty redneck high school and

It was a mining town... A place where parents still spank their kids
without laying awake all night worrying about CPS knocking on their door...
A place where people take responsibility for thier actions adn watch out
for their neighbors...

--
IBA# 11465
http://imagesdesavions.com
Old January 10th 04, 02:25 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Stephen!" wrote:

"Circe" wrote in

As someone who got as far as starting her thesis, let me point out
that there is a surfeit of PhDs who can't get a job in their own
fields (because there are relatively few available in a lot of fields)
and who therefore do all sorts of other things for a living. Some of
them might do manual labor, for all I know. My uncle, PhD in Medeival
Studies, sells cars. Not physical labor, but not exactly a job
requiring an advanced degree, either...

Which comes right around to my original point... Waste your time and
money getting all those "advanced" degrees to end up cleaning the ****
stains out of someone else's toilet... Good game plan there, fer-sher...

I don't see getting an education as a waste of time, money or energy.
If your goal is to make money with it, then you need to pay attention to
your major, but an education -- even one that is NOT used to make money
-- is hardly a waste!

meh

Old January 10th 04, 04:19 AM
toto

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:37:52 GMT, "Stephen!" wrote:

toto wrote in
:

Actually, I have a Psych degree, Business degree, and a Journalism
degree and have owned my own housecleaning business.

All those degrees and you're still cleaning the **** stains from
someone else's toilets... congratulations...

Is there something wrong with cleaning as a job?

Not at all... It helped my mother put food on the table during the lean
years... but it certainly doesn't take a bunch of B.S. degrees to do
it...

No, the degrees aren't necessary, but someone who has them can
do the work too if they want to. Women have always cleaned even
when they had degrees.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old January 10th 04, 04:23 AM
toto

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:52:58 GMT, "Stephen!" wrote:

"Circe" wrote in

As someone who got as far as starting her thesis, let me point out
that there is a surfeit of PhDs who can't get a job in their own
fields (because there are relatively few available in a lot of fields)
and who therefore do all sorts of other things for a living. Some of
them might do manual labor, for all I know. My uncle, PhD in Medeival
Studies, sells cars. Not physical labor, but not exactly a job
requiring an advanced degree, either...

Which comes right around to my original point... Waste your time and
money getting all those "advanced" degrees to end up cleaning the ****
stains out of someone else's toilet... Good game plan there, fer-sher...

Regardless of the time and money, education is worth the price
because no one can ever take it away from you once you have it.

And while some things don't lead to *jobs* that doesn't mean they
are not valuable to the person who is learning about them.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old January 10th 04, 04:26 AM
toto

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:54:24 GMT, "Stephen!" wrote:

Not at all... You whiney jokers are amusing...

Seems to me it was Jon doing the whining.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits