Lisa Welchel promoting child abuse

Old July 20th 06, 07:45 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
R. Steve Walz

Default Lisa Welchel promoting child abuse

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"R. Steve Walz" wrote:

dragonlady wrote:

In article .com,
"Priz" wrote:

There was an episode that dealt with one of
the girls losing her virginity. Whelchel refused to appear in the
episode because she objected to it. I thought this was bizzare.

While I may not share her religious convictions, I found it refreshing
that a young actor would refuse to appear in a show that she believed
was immoral.

----------------------
And that means lots of us find you insane.

Please read what I actually wrote, Steve, instead of what you assume to
be true.

I said I found it refreshing that a young actor would refuse to be in a
show that SHE found immoral -- not that I agreed with her.

-----------------------------
Then you're confused as to what should refresh you and why.
Steve
Old July 20th 06, 09:56 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
ncrist

That really works, too! Expressing fear DOES make the child think
twice. At least it worked for my child (crossing the street, using
knives, running with a stick in his mouth - things like that)

R. Steve Walz wrote:
wrote:

BTR1701 wrote:
In article t6dlb2tu45jffo4mm3ou20dqun744bpoij@usenet,
spank the parents wrote:

The former Blair from Facts of Life, now a fundamentalist Christian,
has some strange ideas about the facts of life herself.

http://www.stoptherod.net/creativecorrection.html

In this bizaare and abuse-filled book, former actress Lisa Whelchel
calls children these cruel names: ankle-biter, pests, "a handful",
raucous, haphazard, messy, pesky, hyenas, arrogant, and "filled with
schemes to do wrong.

And she's absolutely right. That's exactly what they are.

p.25 "I grew up in the South, where I was taught to reply, 'Yes, sir''
or 'Yes, ma'am'' when following instruction."

Yeah, heaven forbid more kids do that. How terrible it would be for some
of the little ****s to have some actual manners.

p.27 "Disobedience comes in many forms, including whining."

What's wrong with this statement? It's true.

I haven't read Lisa Whelchel's book, but I visited the stoptherod web
page. In some instances, I thought her disciplinary techniques were
rather harsh, but unless she's hitting her kids hard enough to leave
marks, I wouldn't consider her methods abusive.

-----------------------
But that's only because you're brainwashed and emotionally disturbed.

And yes, I agree that kids should be taught good manners and that they
should behave themselves. They also need to learn how to get along
with others and how to delay gratification of needs/wants. Overall, I
think today's kids receive too little discipline rather than too much
discipline. Personally, I'm not a fan of spanking. But if your toddler
keeps running in the street no matter how many times you say no or try
to distract him or put him in time-out, then I say a few taps on the
bottom are preferable to letting the kid get hit by a car.

-----------------------------------
That example doesn't even work! It is an old saw, but research shows
that assaulting a child who endangers himself actually makes him fixate
on trying it again when you're not around, and that expressing fear
works MUCh better at dissuading a child from endangering themselevs.

Everyone who drags out this erreoneous notion really secretly LOVES
hitting children to get paid back for when THEY were hit as a child
in order to reinforce their sense of adult entitlement over and
against those who abused THEM in childhood. It is evidence of an
emotional sickness.

If you truly want a toddler to steer clear of the street, cry and
show them how terrified it made you. THAT makes the kind of impression
on the child that you want to make, and with none of the fixated
resentment that results from anger and hitting.
Steve

Old July 20th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
R. Steve Walz

LindaY wrote:

R. Steve Walz wrote:

You're lying. People do this to take the side of their abuser so that
they don't feel as abused for having agreed with their abuse. But the
problem is that it's a lie to the Self. In psychology the dynamic is
called cognitive dissonance, and examples are the Stockholm Syndrome
and learned helplessness in spousal abuse.

[eyes roll] Oh, good grief. The only punishment I ever resented was the
time my dad yelled at me in front of my girlfriend. I don't resent
anything else.

----------------
Lies and defensive reaction.

You sound as if you are a person who cannot believe that
anyone ever got along with their parents.

-----------------
I did, I know a few others who did. I can tell you didn't from having
watched damaged goods like you GET damaged.

* I am very sorry if your parents treated you badly as a child;
-------------------
They didn't, and you're an ineffective liar.

my grandfather did this to my dad
and I did resent HIM for it. But I was not abused by my parents. Sorry
to ruin your theory.

-----------------------
Abused people seldom CALL the way they were treated "abuse", and that
is part and parcel of their abused state. It's called cognitive
dissonance.

You have a great deal of buried hatred you're not dealing with, and
which has crippled your creativity, autonomy, and sense of yourself
all your life. It is a classic women's gambit, to knuckle under and
ever so secretly hate. It cripples you as a person.

You sound like you're quoting out of a college psychology textbook,
Steve. Why not talk like a real person? My creativity, autonomy, and
sense of self is just fine, thanks. The only buried hatred I have is
for my job and I'm stuck with that. :-)

Linda

-------------------------------
You aren't used to being told why you do what you do, are you?

You just coughed up a classic anti-scientific position, the kind that
only comes of being terrified by the potential of others to understand
why you are what you are.
Steve
Old July 20th 06, 11:35 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
BTR1701

In article ,
"R. Steve Walz" wrote:

LindaY wrote:

my grandfather did this to my dad
and I did resent HIM for it. But I was not abused by my parents. Sorry
to ruin your theory.

-----------------------
Abused people seldom CALL the way they were treated "abuse", and that
is part and parcel of their abused state. It's called cognitive
dissonance.

Actually, that's not what cognitive dissonance is at all. You're just
throwing out a bunch of fancy words you heard once and hoping that no
one who actually knows what they mean is around to call you on your
bull****.

Then again, you're an idiot, so why am I surprised?
Old July 20th 06, 12:39 PM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
trotsky

BTR1701 wrote:

In article ,
"R. Steve Walz" wrote:

LindaY wrote:

my grandfather did this to my dad
and I did resent HIM for it. But I was not abused by my parents. Sorry
to ruin your theory.

-----------------------
Abused people seldom CALL the way they were treated "abuse", and that
is part and parcel of their abused state. It's called cognitive
dissonance.

Actually, that's not what cognitive dissonance is at all. You're just
throwing out a bunch of fancy words you heard once and hoping that no
one who actually knows what they mean is around to call you on your
bull****.

Then again, you're an idiot, so why am I surprised?

Just out of curiosity, how is calling someone "an idiot" any more
credible than commenting on your right to sleep with gay men? Wouldn't
me calling you a hypocritical piece of dog poop the most credible of all?
Old July 21st 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
R. Steve Walz

BTR1701 wrote:

In article ,
"R. Steve Walz" wrote:

LindaY wrote:

my grandfather did this to my dad
and I did resent HIM for it. But I was not abused by my parents. Sorry
to ruin your theory.

-----------------------
Abused people seldom CALL the way they were treated "abuse", and that
is part and parcel of their abused state. It's called cognitive
dissonance.

Actually, that's not what cognitive dissonance is at all.

---------------------
Now you're trying to lie about and mischaracterize psychological
knowledge for a century. I was tested on it in class six ways from
sunday, you're nothing but a lying ass.

You're just
throwing out a bunch of fancy words you heard once and hoping that no
one who actually knows what they mean is around to call you on your
bull****.

-----------------------
You just described yourself, except I used the "fancy words" and you
didn't understand them.

Then again, you're an idiot, so why am I surprised?

-----------------------
Obviously someone failed to tell you that name-calling without
logical rationale only proves that you just lost the argument.
Steve
Old July 21st 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.support.childfree,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions
Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time R. Steve Walz wrote:

Obviously someone failed to tell you that name-calling without
logical rationale only proves that you just lost the argument.

Oops, I lost the argument. You're a moron.

**
Captain Infinity