Alec Baldwin Gives Parenting Lessons

Old April 20th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Way Back Jack

Default Alec Baldwin Gives Parenting Lessons

411: Caught on Tape: Alec Baldwin Calls Daughter a 'Rude, Thoughtless
Pig'
Friday, April 20, 2007

By Roger Friedman

Actor Alec Baldwin may be finding himself in very big trouble this
morning. I mean, big trouble.

Baldwin is caught on TMZ.com on an audiotape recording of a scalding
message he left for his 12-year-old daughter Ireland.

Click here to hear the message

Even though it’s obvious that Ireland’s mother, Kim Basinger, leaked
the tape to the TMZ Web site — either Basinger or her divorce lawyers
— it may not matter. Baldwin’s screamfest at his only child has
already caused a family court judge in Los Angeles to suspend his
visitation rights temporarily.

Baldwin and Basinger have been locked in a vicious custody and
visitation battle over Ireland for years.

Baldwin has regularly accused Basinger of playing games with
scheduling. It’s a sore point, since he lives in New York and she
lives in California.

But Baldwin’s scathing comments to his daughter on the phone message
may be indefensible. Listening to the tape, you actually think he’s
leaving a message for Basinger; there is hatred in his voice. Then you
realize it really is Ireland for whom he’s left the message. The worst
thing he calls her: “a rude, thoughtless pig.”

Baldwin is going to have to do some fast spinning to get out of this
situation, especially if the tape starts getting airplay. There will
likely be little tolerance for this kind of behavior, especially
toward a child — and his own child, at that.

It certainly is hard imagining telling one’s own kid how angry you are
because they — the child — has “humiliated” you by missing a phone
call.

More from the call: “Once again I’ve made an a-- of myself getting to
a phone to make a phone call … I’m tired of playing this game with
you. You have insulted me for the last time …You’ve made feel like
sh-- and you’ve made feel like a fool over and over again … I’m going
to straighten your a-- out … You are a rude, thoughtless little pig.”

It’s a sickening turn of events for Baldwin, who’s had a great year
career-wise between his supporting work in “The Departed” and his
awards for the comedy “30 Rock.”

But something tells me that with the latter, NBC is not going to be
very supportive of what sounds like a very abusive, not just
disciplinary, father.

Old April 20th 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
moviePig

Friday, April 20, 2007

By Roger Friedman

[...]

All I know of this is what I've read here. (Specifically, I don't
intend to wallow in the audio link.) But here are a few alternative
inferences, open to any but scalphunters:

1) Baldwin may actually give a **** about his kid. (Not all parents
do.) Admittedly, he seems less than impressively mature about it, but
I doubt maturity in general is in long supply in Hollywood...

2) Nobody with the kid's interest at heart would've publicized the
tape. (There would've been other ways to leverage it.)

3) The kid doesn't live in terror of Baldwin. (E.g., she's apparently
not too rigorous about his phone calls.)

Still, I suppose it's nice that FOX gets to grab at a Gotcha on such a
loud leftie...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Old April 20th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Sean Walsh

Friday, April 20, 2007

[...]

A month or so ago, FOX (and others) were all over the fact that he was
paying for an Iraq soldier's college education, even though (as he
stated) he doesn't agree with the war.

As for the audio, which I heard on the radio this morning, it's pretty
vicious tonguelashing. He goes on about how she doesn't have her phone
on a few times - hey, as a 30-year old my phone isn't on all the time
either. And the "pig" part comes at the very end.

If you took out the parts where he mentions "daughter" and her age,
you'd swear he was verbally lashing out at a grown up. Considering the
ferociousness of his message, I can understand perfectly why she
wouldn't want to talk to him.

Oh, and he also doesn't seem to know how old his own daughter is. He
literally says "11 or 12" during the rant.

--
Sean

Friday, April 20, 2007

[...]

Well... no, I wouldn't nominate him for Parent of the Year. But
neither would I phone Social Services to take his kid away... which is
the effect being sought here, it seems... (As it happens, I just
heard a broadcast also... and was reminded that he can sound like a
vicious sonofabitch better than almost anyone alive.)

When you say FOX was "all over" the Iraq-soldier scholarship, do you
mean they claimed it somehow showed Baldwin's hypocrisy? Or do you
mean they were being fair and balanced (TM) toward him?

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Friday, April 20, 2007

[...]

He doesn't have custody, just visitation rights. And those have been
temporarily taken away because of this.

(As it happens, I just
heard a broadcast also... and was reminded that he can sound like a
vicious sonofabitch better than almost anyone alive.)

Fine if we're just listening to it on the radio and have no personal
connection to him or his family. But if your dad just called you up
and lashed out at you like that over.....what, not answering phone
calls? Not wanting to talk to a dad you probably want little to do
with?

And then say "I'm gonna straighten your ass out, you ride little pig"
when she's got a court-appointed visit to him?

As we've all seen this week, you need to deal with people who flip out
over pretty much nothing before they "straighten your ass out."

When you say FOX was "all over" the Iraq-soldier scholarship, do you
mean they claimed it somehow showed Baldwin's hypocrisy? Or do you
mean they were being fair and balanced (TM) toward him?

They covered it on a few of their shows, IIRC. Meaning they didn't
ignore it to prop up the image of him as a lefty looney...

--
Sean

Friday, April 20, 2007

[...]

Well, I'm pretty sure the only way to absolutely prevent all sudden
interpersonal explosion is to wipe us all out. Meanwhile, no, I
wouldn't care to have anyone speak to me like Baldwin... but if I'd
been hearing it all my life, it might sound different. E.g., some
parents abuse their kids with silence ...and far more verbally
threaten their kids with death than actually make good on it.

Again, I certainly don't know the facts here --indeed, they may
ultimately prove to be unconscionable-- but I doubt that trials by
knee-jerk publicity are any wiser today than they've ever been.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Old April 20th 07, 07:29 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Thumper

On 20 Apr 2007 09:08:17 -0700, Sean Walsh wrote:

But something tells me that with the latter, NBC is not going to be
very supportive of what sounds like a very abusive, not just
disciplinary, father.

We don't know all the story. His kid may viciously play games with
him.
Thumper
Old April 20th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Maryann

On Apr 20, 2:29 pm, Thumper wrote:
On 20 Apr 2007 09:08:17 -0700, Sean Walsh wrote:

But something tells me that with the latter, NBC is not going to be
very supportive of what sounds like a very abusive, not just
disciplinary, father.

We don't know all the story. His kid may viciously play games with
him.
Thumper

Typical lefty - Baldwin at work, what a great role-model..maybe he
would like to send his kids to fight the war in Iraq, sounds like he
would gladly see them facing the enemy. mai

Old April 20th 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Juan F. Lara

In article .com,
moviePig wrote:
2) Nobody with the kid's interest at heart would've publicized the
tape. (There would've been other ways to leverage it.)

Dead on there. This recording was a very private matter of the Baldwin
family. It's an incredible violation of their privacy to publickly air it,
without any context.

- Juan F. Lara
Old April 20th 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.bitterness,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
FDR

"Maryann" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 20, 2:29 pm, Thumper wrote:
On 20 Apr 2007 09:08:17 -0700, Sean Walsh wrote:

But something tells me that with the latter, NBC is not going to be
very supportive of what sounds like a very abusive, not just
disciplinary, father.

We don't know all the story. His kid may viciously play games with
him.
Thumper

Typical lefty - Baldwin at work, what a great role-model..maybe he
would like to send his kids to fight the war in Iraq, sounds like he
would gladly see them facing the enemy. mai

Well we sure as hell know the Bush twins aren't going to Iraq.

Alec Baldwin Gives Parenting Lessons Way Back Jack General 129 April 29th 07 09:04 PM
riding lessons enigma General 10 May 1st 06 01:47 PM
Cost of Piano Lessons? Donna Metler General 0 April 18th 06 03:05 AM
OT--how old for music lessons? Middletree Twins & Triplets 15 April 16th 04 06:28 AM
Corrected age and swimming lessons Marie Twins & Triplets 2 August 29th 03 10:41 PM