post-pill patterns, TTC #1

Old June 16th 04, 12:25 AM
kim in cville

Default post-pill patterns, TTC #1

Hi group--

I mostly read, sometimes post. Introduced myself a few months ago, but
here's a review: DH and I are 33 and 34 (just), and TTC #1. I went off the
pill in April and have been charting since. Was on for four years,
completely regular prior (28-30 days).

Since being off the pill, I have had the one withdrawal bleed and now two
periods on my own. My first cycle was a little wonky--follicular phase
seemed ok (14-15 days), temps did show O though the spike was several days
after O pains and mucous indicated it, but then luteal phase was on the
short side--10 or 11 days based on when I thnk O was. Also only a part of
one day of egg-white. Whole cycle was 25 days.

Second cycle much more normal. O on day 12 or 13, mucous, O pains, and temp
rise all pretty much agreed, and luteal phase a much better 13-14 days.
More egg white--2 days this month. Whole cycle was 26 days. Unfortunately,
work travel conspired to make well-timed BD impossible

I'm encouraged that I seem to be O'ing and that my LP was better this month.
I'm also excited that DH and will be in the same town for the forseeable
future

However, I wonder about the following...
My periods have been noticeably lighter than before I went on the pill. I
used to have more cramping and a good 3-5 days of heavy bleeding plus the
lighter ends, for a total of about 6-8 days. These two since going off have
been more in line with pill periods in terms of volume and length: 2 days of
heavier, though not heavy, bleeding, and a day or 2 of lighter or spotting
on the ends, for a total of 5-6 days. Could that be due to these two cycles
being only 25 and 26 days, i.e., less lining build-up? Also, I lost a lot
of weight--60 lbs.--(gradually and intentionally) while I was on the pill.
Could that have anything to do with it? (I am not underweight. On the
contrary, I'd like to lose 20 more, but I'm fit, healthy, and have been
weight-stable for 2 years).

Are the lighter periods anything to worry about? What about the
shorter-than-pre-pill cycles? I'd be interested as well in hearing anyone
else's post-pill experiences on the road to conception.

Looking forward to posting about a BFP sometime soon!

Kim in cville
TTC #1

Old June 16th 04, 05:18 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:25:22 -0400, kim in cville wrote:

Also, I lost a lot of weight--60 lbs.--(gradually and intentionally)
while I was on the pill. Could that have anything to do with it?

I think that is the most likely option. I don't know how this works
exactly, but I have read on several occasions that body fat can serve as a
storage for hormones. It sort of functions as a regulating mechanism,
which is why severly under- or overweight women often do not ovulate and
have severely disturbed cycles. However, I'm sure there is more to it that
just that, maybe one of the more expert ladies can chime in here.

Nevertheless, congratulations on losing all that weight! That is quite an
achievement, and even more so: keeping it off! With the cycles you
describe, I wouldn't worry that something is wrong. Even without losing
weight, they will change over your lifetime.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old June 17th 04, 04:03 AM
kim in cville

I was aware that being underweight could disturb cycles, but I hadn't heard
that being overweight could as well. I suppose I can see a correlation in
my case--my periods were heavier when I was heavier, but as to
causality...who knows?
Anyway, I'm not lamenting shorter, lighter periods So long as they don't
turn out to mean anything bad... I'm encouraged they sound relatively
normal to you.
Thanks for the congrats The longer I keep it off, and really feel
comfortable eating and exercising this way, the more I really believe it's
gone for good, and that feels great. Now bring on the BFP!
--Kim in cville
TTC #1

news

Old June 18th 04, 12:29 AM
Sophie

"kim in cville" wrote in message
I was aware that being underweight could disturb cycles, but I hadn't

heard
that being overweight could as well. I suppose I can see a correlation in
my case--my periods were heavier when I was heavier, but as to
causality...who knows?

If being underweight matters, why wouldn't being overweight? My sister
finally got pregnant after losing 112 lbs. I don't think it was
coincidence.

Old June 18th 04, 03:11 PM
Elle

"Sophie" wrote in message ...
If being underweight matters, why wouldn't being overweight? My sister
finally got pregnant after losing 112 lbs. I don't think it was
coincidence.

I think it can, depending on your body chemistry. Has something to do
with fat cells and estrogen levels I think, whether over or under
weight. Can affect men's hormone levels too, I've heard.

Of course not everyone will be affected the same way since everyone's
system is unique. Sometimes, like for women with PCOS, a low-carb diet
might promote weight loss not just because of the diet but because it
helps rebalance insulin levels etc which helps with ovulation AND with
their weight.

Elle
Old June 18th 04, 09:28 PM
kim in cville

Yes, it makes sense. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to get pregnant when
I was heavier--I was on the pill and the time during which I lost weight
happened to be covered by being on the pill. So since the pill was
regulating my periods, I wouldn't have seen a change that correlated clearly
with losing weight, but once I went off, I noticed they have been lighter
and less crampy.
I wonder if it's something as parallel as severely underweight = light to no
periods, while severely overweight = particularly heavy, crampy ones. I
know everyone's different, but as a rule of thumb, I wonder if that's
generally true...
Kim in cville
TTC #1
CD 9