Ever wonder what happens to children in foster care when they turn

Old May 12th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Ever wonder what happens to children in foster care when they turn

Ever wonder what happens to children in foster care when they turn 18?
By Larry James

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007...when-reach-18/

In the 19-county region we're apart of here in North Texas, over 300 of
these young people "age out" when they celebrate that birthday. Every
year in Dallas 150 of these foster children find themselves on their own.

That's right. Not all children who are in foster care continue in a
living relationship with their foster parents.

Aging out means that the state no longer provides funds for the care of
these young folks, and for many foster parents that means the children
are basically on their own.

For over six years now, Central Dallas Ministries has been reaching out
to these special young people. Beginning as the fiscal agent for a
fairly complex community collaboration known as Target Kids in Court,
CDM now offers services to these youth as a part of our daily work.

Under the creative and able leadership of Evy Kay Ritzen, our Transition
Resource Action Center, located on Live Oak Street very near Downtown,
is the epicenter of our activity with this special population. Today the
initiative is known in our community as TRAC.

Many of these youth have lived in multiple foster families, having never
been adopted. Deep-seated emotional challenges are typical.

Housing, employment, education, managing relationships and mental health
concerns are typical issues.

Our Community Development Corporation has been providing housing for a
number of these young men and women with more units on the drawing boards.

We partner with lots of other groups and individuals to get our work
done, including Dallas County, the State of Texas, Child Protective
Services, Dallas Social Venture Partners, the Meadows Foundation (who
provides us our wonderful service center) and many others.

TRAC is all about touching young people who find themselves in a very
difficult situation at a very young age.

The data is not very encouraging for these youth.

Over 40% of this slice of the population end up homeless and on the
street or in the criminal justice system.

TRAC is all about intervention, encouragement, equipping, loving,
friendship and connecting youth to opportunities and new life.

In 2006, TRAC served a total of 842 young people.

During the first quarter of 2007, TRAC touched 424 of these youth!

The growth is frightening.

This past year, thanks to the efforts of the Crystal Charity Ball, CDM
received an award that allows us to partner even more deeply with CPS.
The grant will allow CPS and TRAC to hire additional case managers who
will focus on 14 and 15-year-old youth to assist them in developing a
plan of action for life before the magic age of 18. We feel this
preventive intervention strategy will propel more young people to higher
levels of success, and more quickly at that.

Most people simply are not aware of the challenges facing hundreds of
teens in our area.

If you'd like to connect with one of these special young people or
partner with TRAC, let me hear from you.

You can visit our website at http://www.centraldallasministries.org/ to
learn more.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NATIONAL
SECURITY AGENCY/CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...