LH test sticks

Old June 3rd 04, 08:08 AM
Kazh

Default LH test sticks

I bought some of these BEFORE finding out to chart my BBT on a =
graph..............anyway I digress.............the ones I bought where =
from a pharmacy online and I bought in bulk............reasonable =
Price...............but no instructions...........can anyone help with =
how to read these blessed things and what time of day I should do the =
test etc.

TIA

--=20
Kazh=20
TTC baby #4 for me #1 for hubbie

Old June 3rd 04, 12:06 PM
Jenrose

"Kazh" wrote in message
I bought some of these BEFORE finding out to chart my BBT on a
graph..............anyway I digress.............the ones I bought where from
a pharmacy online and I bought in bulk............reasonable
Price...............but no instructions...........can anyone help with how
to read these blessed things and what time of day I should do the test etc.

Are they strips? Usually you hold them in a cup of pee so that the tip is
immersed up to the mark, for a certain length of time. What that time length
is, I don't know, but it should be sufficient for pee to reach the control
line. If you've got a bunch, then you can experiment to see what the
shortest time is that you can hold them in. Probably 5-10 seconds.

Generally you should test between 10 am and early evening. Mid-afternoon is
probably ideal. Some sources say to hold your pee for a couple hours
beforehand, but I've never bothered worrying about it. Do not use first
morning urine for an LH strip, hormone levels are higher mid-afternoon.

Most days of the month, you'll see one line, the control line, which shows
up if you've gotten enough pee on the stick, regardless. When you have your
LH surge, you'll see a second line, which should show up within 10 minutes
of starting the test.

UNLIKE pregnancy tests, an LH test is ONLY considered positive if the test
line is as dark or darker than the control line. A faint line doesn't count.

Some women will never get a second line...this does not necessarily mean
they are not ovulating--some women can ovulate even with a lower lh surge
than the test detects.

Some women will have many high readings in a month, which means the test is
less than useful. This is common with PCOS.

And one interesting note: LH is chemically similar to HCG. Now, an HCG
pregnancy test will NOT detect LH....but an LH test will detect HCG, and at
lower levels than many HCG pregnancy tests! It's a "hindsight" thing...
there are other reasons you might get a darkening line on an OPK during your
luteal phase, and it doesn't always mean pregnancy. But when I was pregnant,
I could get a positive OPK faster than I could get a positive pg test, and
darker, too. This complicates things since I just had a miscarriage and am
waiting to ovulate... we're not trying this month but I would like to see
how the OPK's work for actually detecting ovulation. But until all the
pregnancy hormones clear out of my system completely, there's no point in
taking an OPK--because I know for a fact that if I peed on a stick for LH
right now, it would detect the faint rememant of HCG in my system and give a
false positive result.

There are all sorts of different guidelines for when in your cycle to start
testing. This cycle, I won't even bother with an OPK until I get a neg HCG
test, and I won't bother with taking another of those until this weekend,
because simple math says it's unlikely that I'll be close to zero until
then.

But next cycle, I will start doing OPK tests the day I stop having no
cervical mucus after my period. (I usually have a few days of mucus after my
period, then nothing for a few days, then the mucus comes back and I ovulate
within a week). Because I've currently got no real "baseline" for what a
normal cycle is, I'm testing a little earlier. If I knew, for example, that
I usually had a good 3 days of eggwhite, I'd wait to use the OPK until the
first day of eggwhite. Other sources say start testing after your period
ends, or if your cycle is regular, count back 16 days from your next
expected period and start testing. It depends on how regular your cycle is,
and how long. If you have a longer cycle, then you might want to start
testing later.

If my body holds off on ovulating until the HCG is completely out of my
system, I'll start doing OPKs then. HOwever, if I'm charting and my temp
goes up before I bother testing, and stays that way, then I won't bother
with OPK's this month.

Does that make sense?

Jenrose

Old June 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
Kazh

Many Thanks. Lost me on a lot of the info, I'm still a novice to =
''planning'' baby dancing, but I got the general gist.

I Naively thought it was like the HCG test strip and did it first thing =
this morning, and it showed a very faint control line only.
Then I read on the net NOT to use the ''first urine of the day'' but it =
didn't say what time to do it..........................so I waited till =
noon and did the test again, midstream, STILL only a faint control line. =
By my dates I'm due to ovulate on the 6th but my temp dropped by 0.8 =
degrees from yesterday to today........hopefully I'll get a positive =
line tomorrow.

s.com...

Old June 3rd 04, 11:17 PM
V.

--
Kazh
TTC baby #4 for me #1 for hubbie

Jenrose gave you some pretty thorough info, but I'll add my experience to
the mix. I start using OPKs 3-4 days before expected ovulation. First day
I usually get control line only or a faint test line. Second day I get a
test line fainter than control. Third day I get a test line equal to or
darker than control. This means ovulation expected in 24-36 hours. Usually,
fourth day I get a faint line again, or no line. The fact that you got no
test line today with a temperature dip *may* mean that your LH has already
started to decrease and you missed the peak, or that you just haven't hit
the peak yet. BD on the day you get a peak (if you can, the day before and
day after too).

As far as time of day, I do the test when I get home from work. I've
usually had minimal liquids in the afternoon, and I do gauge concentration
by the color of the urine. If it looks too pale, I wait for another sample.
For me, concentration really does make a difference, so you might want to
try waiting a few hours after your last fluids to test.

Good luck!
Amy

Old June 4th 04, 04:36 PM
Kazh

Thank you. Sounds very similar to mine, 2 days very faint control line, =
then today 2 very strong lines.............Waiting for hubbie to get in =
from work, he's been warned to get his kit off when he gets in !!!

Old June 4th 04, 04:51 PM
V.

lol, isn't it funny how sex is fun when it's recreational, but when you are
told to do it (OPK's, etc) it somehow becomes less fun? My hubby asks "am I
on call today?" each morning, and by the third day or so I feel guilty for
ordering him into the bedroom!

Old June 4th 04, 05:48 PM
Kazh

LOL, bless him............my hubbie's sex drive isn't as high as mine so =
I always want it so he's used to it, but I sent him a text message to =
pre warn him that's he's ''needed'' to perform today !!

They will know it's all worth it when they get to hold their baby in =
their arms.

"

Old June 5th 04, 01:05 AM
Jenrose

"Kazh" wrote in message
LOL, bless him............my hubbie's sex drive isn't as high as mine so I
always want it so he's used to it, but I sent him a text message to pre warn
him that's he's ''needed'' to perform today !!

LOL! The last thing I'd do is *warn* dh.... Make him a nice dinner, give him
a wee-bit to drink, and then trip the guy...G If I were to say, "Hi, it's
time to make the baby," he'd get that "dear in the headlights" look and say,
"Eeek."

Jenrose