Eliminating Conflict?

Old July 8th 09, 06:53 PM posted to misc.kids
The Ranger[_3_]

Default Eliminating Conflict?

On k12.chat.teacher, the admin posted the link below to the article. I also
added my answer after that.

What do you think? Are we producing a whole age-range of children incapable
of dealing with conflict?

The Ranger
===
wrote in message
In his article "The School of No Knocks?"
http://teachers.net/gazette/JUL09/nelson/,
school head Todd R. Nelson considers the effects of efforts to
eliminate conflict between kids asking,

"Are we going too far with efforts to eliminate conflict between kids?
Should we be sending kids to the school of No Knocks? Does it make
kids expect that the playing field will always be leveled for them?
Does it prepare them for the mean people who will not alter their
behavior to spare their feelings. Does it give kids coping skills, or
false expectations?"

I don't think we're attempting to "eliminate" it completely nor do I believe
is provides them false expectations. By reducing the conflict between kids,
you're giving them the ability to work through their issues without
resorting to physical intimidation.

When I was in elementary (all the way through most of hs), I was one of the
smallest kids, stature-wise when compared to any of my peers. I was the
leprachaun among giants. I learned that I couldn't compete physically with a
majority of my peers and when I did, I was often outmatched. I learned very
quickly that a sharp mind and glib tongue was a better tool than fists of
fury. Did I have any false expectations about the kids that refused to
change their attitudes towards smaller people? Hardly. But I can brag that
they often looked like the apes they were when I danced about them mentally.
There's nothing better than having a group laughing at your quips and
watching your opponent carp and bleat as each one draws more blood than a
punch to the nose.

I also believe, forcing the younger kids to deal with a not-as-nice-as-them
opponent teaches them self-reliance more than running to me and tattling. I
won't always be there and they'll need to eventually handle such a bully on
their own.

The coping skills are being provided.

The Ranger