I'm an aunt

Old August 30th 05, 03:26 AM

Default I'm an aunt

Just popping in. I posted a while back about my SIL having
preeclampsia. She has been on bed rest for about 6 weeks. Things seemed
to be going fairly well (with the exception of being in the hospital
for about a day due to low amniotic fluid). Her doctor actually said he
thought she might make it to 40 weeks.

Then things nose dived. She was admitted to the hospital a week ago
Saturday. Her blood pressure had gone up again and they found protein
in her urine. They monitored her, but decided to induce when her tests
began coming back showing posssible liver damage.

Her induction was begun on Tueday. Gabriella Rose was born 12:59 EST on
Wednesday. She is 6 weeks early, weighs 4lbs. 11oz, and is 18" long.
She has had some labored breathing, but for the most part has not
needed help with it. She has a naso-gastric tube (sp?) since she is
having a bit of trouble with feeding, and has jaundice (don't know all
the details). It's been a bit of a whirl...I actually just got back in
to town. I was on a trip up to see DB and SIL to take some baby things
up to them (I live in Georgia...they live in Michigan) when I got a
call from DH that SIL was in the hospital. I saw DN when she was about
3 hours old. The docs think she will have to spend about two weeks in
the hospital.

Just wanted to say thanks to those that shared info regarding
preeclampsia...and share my news.

annette

Old August 30th 05, 03:37 AM

[...]

Congratulations to your sister! My Mischief was born at around that
gestation (33w5d) and was 4lb15oz so your niece is a good size.
Mischief had a little trouble maintaining her body temperature and
gaining weight at the same time but she managed to get to come home at
19 days old, so your niece could well end up coming home fairly quickly
if she's already on room air. Fingers crossed for them both!

Cheryl

Old August 30th 05, 03:44 AM
alath

Wow, elevated liver labs, low amniotic fluid, and what sounds like
possible growth restriction (4#11os?) - those are hallmarks of severe
preeclampsia. It sounds like everything turned out okay, but I'd put
some thanks in my prayers... this could have turned out a lot more
hairy than it did.

Old August 30th 05, 03:48 AM
arachne

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

congratulations to her. hope everything improves quickly.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005 (currently: 33 weeks)

"Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't
get you anywhere." -- Anonymous

Old August 30th 05, 03:03 PM
al

alath wrote:
Wow, elevated liver labs, low amniotic fluid, and what sounds like
possible growth restriction (4#11os?) - those are hallmarks of severe
preeclampsia. It sounds like everything turned out okay, but I'd put
some thanks in my prayers... this could have turned out a lot more
hairy than it did.

You pegged it. DN was actually almost a pound heavier than predicted.
There were concerns about her weight based on ultrasounds that showed
restricted blood flow through the umbilical cord. She has been on room
air most of the time, probably due to the steroid shots that SIL got
about 6 weeks ago.

Old August 30th 05, 03:52 PM
al

[...]

Thanks! Gabbi was in an incubator for about a half hour after birth.
She was in for one night a couple of days later. I'm trying not to bug
my brother and SIL too much. I know they have their hands full. My SIL
was discharged on Friday, but the hospital is 45 minutes away from
where they live so they don't have much time to be on the phone. To add
to that my brother had training this weekend for a second job he is
taking (and no way to get out of it except to turn down the job...it is
a private security firm that is contracted to the federal govt.). SIL
is spending as much time as possible at the hospital. She has nursed
Gabbi as much as possible, but is also feeding by tube what she has
expressed. Hopefully they have been cleared to leave EBM at the
hospital by now. There was some red tape about needing to have an HIV
test before the hospital would allow them to leave EBM (rolling eyes).

Annette

Old August 30th 05, 10:44 PM
arachne

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
is spending as much time as possible at the hospital. She has nursed
Gabbi as much as possible, but is also feeding by tube what she has
expressed. Hopefully they have been cleared to leave EBM at the
hospital by now. There was some red tape about needing to have an HIV
test before the hospital would allow them to leave EBM (rolling eyes).

wow, that is pretty unbelievable that she needs an HIV test to feed her milk
to her own baby!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005 (currently: 33 weeks)

Old August 31st 05, 04:14 AM
PCBH

arachne wrote:
"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
is spending as much time as possible at the hospital. She has nursed
Gabbi as much as possible, but is also feeding by tube what she has
expressed. Hopefully they have been cleared to leave EBM at the
hospital by now. There was some red tape about needing to have an HIV
test before the hospital would allow them to leave EBM (rolling eyes).

wow, that is pretty unbelievable that she needs an HIV test to feed her milk
to her own baby!

Probably because the hospital staff doesn't want to handle/feed with
the milk unless she has been tested.

PC