Need Help with Baby Name

Old February 21st 07, 04:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Need Help with Baby Name

Hi there,

I just got a new born baby(a son) about one month ago. We picked up
the name "Riley" for him before he was born. However when I took him
to one-week Dr's check, somebody told me that one of her female
relatives has the same name "Riley" and she thought we had a daughter
at the beginning.

Then we did a google search and found that "Riley" is a first name for
both female and male. Both my wife and I are not native English
speakers and are not familiar with the culture here. We are worrying
about two things. First, he might have to explain to other people that
he is a boy when he grows up just like what I did. Second, will other
people mock him because he has a name that many girls have?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Old February 21st 07, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:
Hi there,

I just got a new born baby(a son) about one month ago. We picked up
the name "Riley" for him before he was born. However when I took him
to one-week Dr's check, somebody told me that one of her female
relatives has the same name "Riley" and she thought we had a daughter
at the beginning.

Then we did a google search and found that "Riley" is a first name for
both female and male. Both my wife and I are not native English
speakers and are not familiar with the culture here. We are worrying
about two things. First, he might have to explain to other people that
he is a boy when he grows up just like what I did. Second, will other
people mock him because he has a name that many girls have?

Much of this is very regional, so it's hard to
say if he'll get teased over the name. In general, there
is a lot of variation in names, and a lot of names that
are used by both sexes today, so I wouldn't necessarily
expect trouble. People are likely to make assumptions
based on their personal experiences with the name, but
I don't really see correcting any mistaken assumptions as
a real problem (though it can be an inconvenience).
According to the Social Security website, Riley
is ranked 106 as a name for boys in 2005 and 2004, and
53 (2005) and 58 (2004) for girls. So, it's more common
for girls nationally, but it's hardly unheard of for
boys.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 21st 07, 04:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Riley is a common name for either gender, so it's not the same as naming a
boy Nancy or Sue. There are many many people in the States that like gender
neutral names, such as Riley, Jamie, Taylor, Addison, (note my signature
line), Ryan, Dylan, etc. Many names that used to be boy names get taken
over by girls, but that doesn't mean that they aren't still suitable for
boys.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you chose a
very typical boy name as a middle name -- Riley Michael for example, then I
really wouldn't worry about it as he could chose to go by his middle name if
he really wanted to.

Also, now that your doctors office knows that your infant son is a boy, they
should mark it in the chart and not make that mistake again. But if they
do, it's not a big deal. Tons of people have no idea based on looks and
name if a newborn or young infant is male or female.

As an aside -- Riley was the name we had chosen for a boy when we first
started ttc. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

oups.com...

Old February 21st 07, 07:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Tracey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I just got a new born baby(a son) about one month ago. We picked up
the name "Riley" for him before he was born. However when I took him
to one-week Dr's check, somebody told me that one of her female
relatives has the same name "Riley" and she thought we had a daughter
at the beginning.

Riley is one of those names that is used for both boys and girls. I don't
think you'll have to worry about your son needing to explain to people that
he is a boy....that will be obvious.

Old February 21st 07, 09:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

I just got a new born baby(a son) about one month ago. We picked up
the name "Riley" for him before he was born. However when I took him
to one-week Dr's check, somebody told me that one of her female
relatives has the same name "Riley" and she thought we had a daughter
at the beginning.

Then we did a google search and found that "Riley" is a first name for
both female and male. Both my wife and I are not native English
speakers and are not familiar with the culture here. We are worrying
about two things. First, he might have to explain to other people that
he is a boy when he grows up just like what I did. Second, will other
people mock him because he has a name that many girls have?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Hi

FWIW, If I was meeting Riley for the first time, I would have assumed he was
a boy

Take care

Lucy x

Old February 21st 07, 10:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Me Myself and I

"lucy-lu" wrote in message

FWIW, If I was meeting Riley for the first time, I would have assumed he
was a boy

Take care

Lucy x

Ditto for me.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
I am very polite and say "Ank Ooooooo" whenever I'm given something.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old February 22nd 07, 08:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Thank you all for the input. I think my wife and I will keep the name.

Mike