Joanna doc appointment update

Old January 18th 08, 11:25 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Default Joanna doc appointment update

Hi everyone

I have read all your replies in the previous thread but havent replied to
them individually as i've got a mountain of housework to do. Well Joanna
attended her appointment with the new doctor and I must point out that he is
a new doctor as we've recently moved from South Wales back to England. Well
I was quite straight and stern with him from the start and he first of all
suggested he forward us on to a pediatritrian but then asked if there was a
history of asthma and I explained that yes there was quite a bit in the
family so he then asked me if I would be willing to try her on an asthma
treatment before the referral went ahead, well um yeah doc this is what i've
been trying to get the old twits to do lol. He also asked me if there was
any family history of allergies which I replied no to as there isnt in my
oppinion and he then went on to ask if I had any animals to which I replied
yes I have a cat so he has prewarned me that the cat may well need to be
rehomed as Joanna may well have an animal allergy but we would give the
asthma treatment a go first. He has put her on Alupent syrup which she's got
to take 3 times a day and i'm praying that it will make a difference in my
daughters life. He said that if there was no change with this then we would
try a nebulizer with her but wants to give this a go first and then see her
in 2 weeks.

april

--
www.freewebs.com/lastchancerabbitrescue

Old January 18th 08, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

april & co wrote:

He also asked me if there was
any family history of allergies which I replied no to as there isnt in my
oppinion

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one, and allergies may be
involved even if there isn't a history. Coughing at night is a
classic feature of allergy induced asthma where there's a reaction
to dust mites in the bedding. I think one of the first things you
should do is really sanitize her bedroom--no stuffed animals, minimal
bedding (washed in hot water at least weekly), no carpet, no cat in
the bedroom, dust well and frequently, vacuum with a HEPA quality
filter, no down pillows or duvets, etc.

and he then went on to ask if I had any animals to which I replied
yes I have a cat so he has prewarned me that the cat may well need to be
rehomed as Joanna may well have an animal allergy but we would give the
asthma treatment a go first.

Take this with a grain of salt. In my experience, allergists
are always very quick to recommend getting rid of the pet, and it seems
that nearly everyone tests as allergic to cats, but getting rid of the
cat is not always necessary. DS1 tested allergic to cats as one of the
few things he was allergic to and his allergist was all hot to get rid
of the cat. However, his symptoms were seasonal and cold-related. If
the cat had been a major factor, he should have had symptoms year
round. We kept the cat and tackled the other factors and it worked
just fine.

He has put her on Alupent syrup which she's got
to take 3 times a day and i'm praying that it will make a difference in my
daughters life.

It may well, but oral meds are often not as effective
as inhaled meds, plus they often have a lot of side effects.
Be prepared for a wild ride, just in case. Oral steroids or
albuterol sent mine over the moon. Uggh.

He said that if there was no change with this then we would
try a nebulizer with her but wants to give this a go first and then see her
in 2 weeks.

I think the nebulizer is much easier to work with,
and a much better solution if you eventually determine that
asthma is the real cause. Although, with DS1 it did take
a concentrated attack with oral steroids among other things
to get him cleared up after being sick for so long before he
was finally correctly diagnosed.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 18th 08, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
april & co wrote:

He also asked me if there was
any family history of allergies which I replied no to as there isnt in

my
oppinion

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one, and allergies may be
involved even if there isn't a history. Coughing at night is a
classic feature of allergy induced asthma where there's a reaction
to dust mites in the bedding. I think one of the first things you
should do is really sanitize her bedroom--no stuffed animals, minimal
bedding (washed in hot water at least weekly), no carpet, no cat in
the bedroom, dust well and frequently, vacuum with a HEPA quality
filter, no down pillows or duvets, etc.

My DH has a dust allergy, although his results in mild wheezing, but severe
sneezing - drives me nuts at 5am!! (And wife of the year award goes to....!)
We now have laminate flooring in our bedroom, which I sweep daily. Once a
week I clean the floor and skirting boards with a steam cleaner - like this
one http://www.ciao.co.uk/Simac_PVT_2050__6653881)/ At the risk of sounding
like an infomercial, it's really changed our lives. It gets the dust out of
all the nooks and crannies, and he hasn't had a sneezing fit since. I have
to make sure I use it when he's out tho as oviously, while in use it kicks
the dust up a bit, but he's fine to go in there by bed time. I got mine out
of the local paper for £15.

I wash our bedding once a week and I've bought those allergy pillows.
Despite all this (nothing before the steamer worked) we've got a cat, a dog,
two rats and a guinea-pig. Obviously the little animals chuck sawdust about,
but he's still not sneezing. My nephew was also told he's allergic to cats,
but he comes here with all the animals with no problems at all.

Glad your doctor's listening to you!

Lucy x

Old January 18th 08, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Hi Erika

I will take your advice regarding her bedroom although one of them is
already elliminated as the cat has never been allowed any where near her
bedroom, he is not allowed upstairs at all. My concern is if the doctor says
the cat has to go then because of social services the cat probably will have
to go because if I don't follow his stupid advice and social services catch
wind that it was the adivice of the doctor to rehome the cat and I don't
follow suit then they could come down on me because of it but it really is
going to be a last result move. I just really want this issue sorted as it's
just not fare on her in my oppinion and i'm getting so frustrated with her
cough. Well at least this doctor seems to be listening to me a bit more than
the old doctor so thats something.

Old January 18th 08, 05:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

[...]

Thanx Lucy, I didnt mention my rat to the doctor though as most people just
freak at the idea of a rat. We just have a shorthaired cat, the rat billy
boy who lives on his own as he's very anti social and I tried bonding him
with another rat as I dont like them to be on thier own really but I ended
up with a vets bill as Billy attacked. Billy is short sited which I dont
think helps him in the slightest. We also have a rabbit who lives outside in
a hutch but gets loads of attention.

April

Old January 18th 08, 05:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

april & co wrote:

I will take your advice regarding her bedroom although one of them is
already elliminated as the cat has never been allowed any where near her
bedroom, he is not allowed upstairs at all. My concern is if the doctor says
the cat has to go then because of social services the cat probably will have
to go because if I don't follow his stupid advice and social services catch
wind that it was the adivice of the doctor to rehome the cat and I don't
follow suit then they could come down on me because of it but it really is
going to be a last result move. I just really want this issue sorted as it's
just not fare on her in my oppinion and i'm getting so frustrated with her
cough. Well at least this doctor seems to be listening to me a bit more than
the old doctor so thats something.

You can always put your foot down a bit with the doctor
so that it doesn't become official "advice" from the doctor.
Tell the doctor that you want to try everything else first and
see if that's enough. That's a perfectly reasonable request.
It's not like asthma and allergies are so clear cut that it's
obvious what all the triggers are. As I said, my son tested
allergic to cats, but his symptoms don't really change at
all regardless of his exposure to cats. And if your daughter
is having symptoms only in a room the cat is never in...well...
I think you've got a significant case to make right there.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 18th 08, 06:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

You can always put your foot down a bit with the doctor
so that it doesn't become official "advice" from the doctor.
Tell the doctor that you want to try everything else first and
see if that's enough. That's a perfectly reasonable request.
It's not like asthma and allergies are so clear cut that it's
obvious what all the triggers are. As I said, my son tested
allergic to cats, but his symptoms don't really change at
all regardless of his exposure to cats. And if your daughter
is having symptoms only in a room the cat is never in...well...
I think you've got a significant case to make right there.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Thanks Erika that is very true and I will use that should it come to it, I
would hate to part from Taco.

Old January 18th 08, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Puester

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
april & co wrote:

I will take your advice regarding her bedroom although one of them is
already elliminated as the cat has never been allowed any where near
her bedroom, he is not allowed upstairs at all.

You can always put your foot down a bit with the doctor
so that it doesn't become official "advice" from the doctor.
Tell the doctor that you want to try everything else first and
see if that's enough. That's a perfectly reasonable request.
It's not like asthma and allergies are so clear cut that it's
obvious what all the triggers are. As I said, my son tested
allergic to cats, but his symptoms don't really change at
all regardless of his exposure to cats. And if your daughter
is having symptoms only in a room the cat is never in...well...
I think you've got a significant case to make right there.

Best wishes,
Ericka

My son-in-law is allergic to cats but loves them. He has had the
desensitization shots
and they bathe their 3 cats once a month or so. That really helps.

gloria p
Old January 18th 08, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Akuvikate

On Jan 18, 3:25*am, "april & co"
wrote:
[...]

As the "Asthma Champion Provider" at my new clinic reading about the
treatment you guys have been getting is driving me nuts! I must
qualify that I'm not really an expert, but was just handed the
position as part of my new job. For one, no matter how old the kid
is, asthma needs to be treated. The medicines are not too strong for
babies, though some of them may not be as effective. Fortunately
you've finally gotten some treatment, but unless there's something
special about Alupent (in the US we overwhelmingly use albuterol, an
equivalent but not identical drug), syrups for treatment of asthma are
way outdated. Steroid syrups/pills for an acute flare are the one
exception. The ideal way to get asthma medicine into a young child is
with an inhaler, spacer, and mask. Contrary to what a lot of people
think, if used correctly (and that's an important "if") it works just
as well as the nebulizer and has fewer side effects. Next best is a
nebulizer. Around here, we use prescription of albuterol syrup as an
indicator of outdated asthma care.

It sounds like she's really going to need daily inhaled steroids if
she's been coughing that consistently for that long, especially with
the family history. People freak out about steroids but it's far
worse to go through life with chronically inflamed lungs than it is to
take inhaled steroids.

As for the cat, my own asthmatic mother slept with her cat until it
died, so I know how people are about pets. That said, even compared
to other animals cats are particularly bad at triggering asthma. For
myself I lived with dogs and rats that I was allergic to for years,
but the only time in my life I had asthma was the 2 years I lived in a
house with a cat. Moved out and not only did my symptoms clear, but
when I tried to participate in round 2 of a research study I had done
the year before, I could no longer be provoked into asthma symptoms by
their research protocol.

Just a suggestion about how to approach the doctor -- always remember
you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Also remember that
advice you get on Usenet can be of widely varying quality (how do you
know if I'm really a doctor?) and can't take into account your child's
physical exam or what may turn out to be important details of the
history that you didn't think to post. So go in with your
impressions, concerns, and good data (ie, not posts from
misc.kids.pregnancy but printouts from major reputable websites), but
be ready to work with the doctor if he/she suggests that your
particular situation might need a somewhat different approach.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08
Old January 18th 08, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

April is in the UK, so here are some UK links to light a fire under
someone:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...n=byID&o=11711
http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...n=byID&o=11400

Here is the lead of the second URL:

NICE has recommended that for children under the age of 5 years who
have chronic stable asthma:

* both corticosteroids and bronchodilator therapy should routinely
delivered by Pressurised Metered Dose Inhaler (pMDI) and spacer
system, with a facemask where necessary.

* where this combination is not clinically effective for the child,
and depending on the child's condition, nebulised therapy may be
considered and in the case of children aged 3 to 5 years, a dry powder
inhaler (DPI) may also be considered.

* the choice of which pMDI device and spacer to use should be
determined by the specific needs of the child and how well it works
for them. Once these factors have been taken into account the choice
should be made on the basis of reducing costs.

Pologirl