Baby walkers banned in Canada

Old April 8th 04, 10:42 PM
Katie

Default Baby walkers banned in Canada

(also posted to misc.kids.pregnancy and misc.kids.breastfeeding with
OT in subject line)

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet so here it is...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...abywalkers_col

Canada First Country to Ban Sale of Baby Walkers

Wed Apr 7, 1:00 PM ET

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada became the first country in the world to ban
the sale, advertising and import of baby walkers on Wednesday, saying
too many children were being injured by the devices.

Baby walkers, also called infant walkers, are much like a chair on
wheels, designed for use by small children who are able to sit up but
not yet able to walk on their own. Children sit in the walker and
propel themselves along with their feet.

"Health Canada has determined that these children do not have the
necessary skills, reflexes or cognitive abilities to safely make use
of these products," the health ministry said in a statement.

"Typically, incidents linked to baby walkers involve head injuries
that result from falls down stairs," it added, advising parents with
the devices to dispose of them.

Canadian retailers have imposed a voluntary ban on the sale of baby
walkers since 1989 but the health ministry said more and more were
being imported.

"Canadians must know about the dangers posed to infants through the
use of baby walkers... I am pleased to announce that Canada is the
first country in the world to ban the sale of these products," said
Health Minister Pierre Pettigrew.

The ban also applies to the sale of baby walkers as second-hand items
at flea markets or garage sales.

Old April 9th 04, 10:09 PM
Catherine Woodgold

Katie ) writes:
Canada First Country to Ban Sale of Baby Walkers

What about just having a warning on them that they
can't be used in places that have stairs leading down?

I don't like baby walkers myself -- I think they
don't lead to a natural way of learning to walk
or interact socially -- but perhaps banning them
outright doesn't make much more sense than banning
swimming pools.

Just a comment that occurs to me on the spur of
the moment. Maybe the ban is actually a good idea;
I don't know.

Society is going in that direction -- banning things --
but it's rather a harsh, inflexible method of addressing
a problem.
--
Cathy
Old April 13th 04, 04:19 PM
Fern5827

Next step will be the arrest of those rebels who persist in using walkers,
regardless of whether they live in a ranch home, with no steps.

CPS workers must need more homes to visit.

.........Shhhh.....wanna buy a hot walker?

;-(

alternate bed for baby ted General 20 April 3rd 04 02:36 AM
Baby survives after hit-and-run driver drags stroller a mile Le Mod Pol General 57 February 12th 04 12:17 AM
Co-sleeping question [email protected] General 13 January 24th 04 12:34 AM
Coping w/o a highchair, w/hyper baby Nevermind General 18 December 16th 03 03:26 AM
RECALL: Baby Walkers Truffles General 7 September 13th 03 03:35 AM