Decline and fall of misc.kids.pregnancy

Old February 25th 07, 07:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Default Decline and fall of misc.kids.pregnancy

The new Google web interface to Usenet newsgroups (like this one) has
some problems. Such as losing some (many?) of my posts submitted
through its interface.

And now I am wondering why the massive fall-off of posts here in
general, compared to some other Usenet newsgroups I read!? Those
other newsgroups are going strong.

What fall-off, you ask? Look at this:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....regnancy/about

Google's archive of this group goes back to August 25, 1994, so we
have 150 months of continuous history. And the most recent 5 months
have by far the least traffic.

Old February 25th 07, 09:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Leslie

On Feb 25, 2:14�pm, "Pologirl" wrote:
The new Google web interface to Usenet newsgroups (like this one) has
some problems. *Such as losing some (many?) of my posts submitted
through its interface.

And now I am wondering why the massive fall-off of posts here in
general, compared to some other Usenet newsgroups I read!? *Those
other newsgroups are going strong.

What fall-off, you ask? *Look at this:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....regnancy/about

Google's archive of this group goes back to August 25, 1994, so we
have 150 months of continuous history. *And the most recent 5 months
have by far the least traffic.

I've been wondering about this, too. It used to be almost impossible
to keep up with the posts here. It makes me sad.

Leslie

Old February 25th 07, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Feb 25, 2:14 pm, "Pologirl" wrote:
The new Google web interface to Usenet newsgroups (like this one) has
some problems. Such as losing some (many?) of my posts submitted
through its interface.

And now I am wondering why the massive fall-off of posts here in
general, compared to some other Usenet newsgroups I read!? Those
other newsgroups are going strong.

What fall-off, you ask? Look at this:

http://groups.google.com/group/misc....regnancy/about

Google's archive of this group goes back to August 25, 1994, so we
have 150 months of continuous history. And the most recent 5 months
have by far the least traffic.

Your post has reminded me of how long I have been reading &
occasionally posting here and how much I have benefited from the
collective wisdom. It has been such an excellent resource for me, I am
going to make a concerted effort to post more to do my part to keep
some momentum going.

Elle
DD1 02/23/05
DD2 due 04/23/07

Old February 25th 07, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Puester

Elle wrote:
On Feb 25, 2:14 pm, "Pologirl" wrote:
The new Google web interface to Usenet newsgroups (like this one) has
some problems. Such as losing some (many?) of my posts submitted
through its interface.

And now I am wondering why the massive fall-off of posts here in
general, compared to some other Usenet newsgroups I read!? Those
other newsgroups are going strong.

Trolls, flamers, OT arguments, and T.G. will do that to a group.
It's a shame that someone will ruin a good discussion group to further
his own ego/interests.

gloria p
Old February 26th 07, 03:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Puester wrote:
Trolls, flamers, OT arguments, and T.G. will do that to a group.
It's a shame that someone will ruin a good discussion group to further
his own ego/interests.

Don't blame it on them. They have always been here, doing their thing
in the background. This is Usenet, where anyone with any sense uses a
threaded newsreader and simply ignore the threads that don't interest
them. What has changed, it seems, is that the "ordinary" posters have
dropped out.

Old February 26th 07, 03:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Feb 25, 10:53 pm, "Pologirl" wrote:
Puester wrote:
Trolls, flamers, OT arguments, and T.G. will do that to a group.
It's a shame that someone will ruin a good discussion group to further
his own ego/interests.

Don't blame it on them. They have always been here, doing their thing
in the background. This is Usenet, where anyone with any sense uses a
threaded newsreader and simply ignore the threads that don't interest
them. What has changed, it seems, is that the "ordinary" posters have
dropped out.

I think usenet in general is a lot less busy than it was a few years
ago. There are so many other places people can chat about topics of
interest to them that usenet is no longer the only, or the best game
in town. (And of course, the inability to access the groups through
some common ISPs (like AOL) adds to the problem.)

Naomi

Old February 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jeni Steers

s.com...
Puester wrote:
Trolls, flamers, OT arguments, and T.G. will do that to a group.
It's a shame that someone will ruin a good discussion group to further
his own ego/interests.

Don't blame it on them. They have always been here, doing their thing
in the background. This is Usenet, where anyone with any sense uses a
threaded newsreader and simply ignore the threads that don't interest
them. What has changed, it seems, is that the "ordinary" posters have
dropped out.

I think usenet in general is a lot less busy than it was a few years
ago. There are so many other places people can chat about topics of
interest to them that usenet is no longer the only, or the best game
in town. (And of course, the inability to access the groups through
some common ISPs (like AOL) adds to the problem.)

For some reason Google has lost the ability to let me post, so I'm having to
do it through my Outlook at work.

Still, the posts should up a little next year as we are going to ttc#2 at
the end of the year (yay!) and I'm sure I'll have heaps more questions
despite being through it once.

Jeni

Old February 26th 07, 07:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I think it's also a spam and troll issue, yahoogroups email lists and
message board probably feel like a much safer place.

Personally I like newsgroups, even if I read them through outlook express,
but many of them have gone downhill or vanished completely over the time
I've been reading them.

Anne

Old February 26th 07, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Don't blame it on them. They have always been here, doing their thing
in the background. This is Usenet, where anyone with any sense uses a
threaded newsreader and simply ignore the threads that don't interest
them. What has changed, it seems, is that the "ordinary" posters have
dropped out.

I won't put the entire blame on them, but I do think they have been on the
rise, whilst at the same time, places they aren't are also on the rise, so
there is less need to put up with them. There has been some trolls on here
recently that no one has notice has been a troll, so has unintentionally fed
them, but having seen the same name on other groups (with the same
underlying posting details), there are definite oddities about a couple of
posters.

Anne

Old February 27th 07, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Pologirl" wrote in message
ps.com...
Puester wrote:
Trolls, flamers, OT arguments, and T.G. will do that to a group.
It's a shame that someone will ruin a good discussion group to further
his own ego/interests.

Don't blame it on them. They have always been here, doing their thing
in the background. This is Usenet, where anyone with any sense uses a
threaded newsreader and simply ignore the threads that don't interest
them. What has changed, it seems, is that the "ordinary" posters have
dropped out.

Guess we all had our babies ; ) Good to see people soing something about
the lack of posts though! And well done to Pologirl for bringing it up I
really only make the odd post atm, but hopefully will be back properly later
in the year if we manage to make #2.

Lucy xx