7 month old not sleeping through the night

Old October 10th 07, 11:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default 7 month old not sleeping through the night

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on sleep training my 7 month old son. As
off now he puts himself to sleep within 5 - 10 mins of fussing in his
crib for both nap time and bedtime. Eats very well through the day 2
servings of cereal and 2 square meals along with a good five bottles
( six oz in each ). He weighs 20lbs. Currently he is teething, getting
one tooth after another and I am giving him Infant advil at night
since it lasts 8 hours. However he is not sleeping through the night.
He is asleep by 8:00pm each night and has a very good bath, cereal,
bottle routine but is waking up sometimes up to 5 times a night
starting 1 hour and forty-five mins after he goes to bed. Last night
my husband and I were so tired that after the second time he woke we
took him to bed with us. I know, bad mistake if we don't want to have
our son between the two for us for the next 2 years. I have tried to
let him cry it out through the night but he just stands up and cries
himself into a mess. I have tried a bottle at the second waking but
no way he won't take it. Other then my sons sleep pattern at night he
is a delight. I don't mind him being in our bed but I feel it may not
be the right answer for my husband and I seeing how it is our only
"Alone Time" we have with our new baby. Please any feed back would be
great.

Lori-anne
mother and wife of the 2 most handsome boys!

Old October 10th 07, 11:12 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

Since this is something new, perhaps he has an ear infection. Laying down
would bother him the most.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old October 10th 07, 01:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

mother and wife of the 2 most handsome boys!- Hide quoted text -

not sure it is an ear infection, he does not pull at his ears or cry
during the day. Also when we go into his bedroom during the night to
sooth him or take him into our room he stops right away... sometimes I
feel like he has learned that if he crys hard enough that mommy will
give in

Old October 10th 07, 04:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

When #1 had ear infections then the first sign I saw was a temperature, by
which time the ear infection was well established.
Debbie

Old October 10th 07, 06:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

Hi

I have to 2nd what Debbie said, there is not always good signs of an ear
infection. Joanna my daughter who is two in January is currently being
treated for a bad ear infection. I had no warning that she had an infection
other than she came down very suddenly with a very high tempreture, her ear
is not red and neither was she rubbing her ear and still isnt.

As for the bed time thing, be strict with yourself and your child. When baby
wakes, make sure he is comfortble so check his nappy and make sure it is
clean and dry and if not change it but do not talk to baby and if you can
then do this is a dark room, do not put the bedroom light on use a night
light which is much dimmer or use the light you get from the hallway light
which is what I use. Offer your son a drink preferably water as this is
boring and if not interested then just leave the water do not make a fuss
and again limit the chat. Once all has been checked and u know your son is
okay tuck him in or whatever you do and simply say Goodnight it's bedtime
now, love you and leave it simply as that then leave the room. You need to
then just leave your son to it and hope that he falls to sleep. Sounds cruel
to some parents but I highly recommend it. Joanna went through a phase like
your son and my hv advised the above and I worked with it and it now works a
treat. Now and again she'll wake up crying and I just do what I adviced you
to do and it works.

Goodluck

april
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 10th 07, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

Ear infections don't usually hurt during the day -- it's at night, when they
lay down, that the fluid builds up and causes the pain...that's why they
always seem to present themselves in the middle of the night. So it's worth
a check on that. Also, teething can be very disruptive and cause baby to
wake multiple times a night. If their gums/jaws are aching, then they are
just unhappy and uncomfortable, and it's hard to fall back to sleep in that
state. And often times drinking from a bottle can actually make it hurt
more at first.

Perhaps instead of 8 hour Advil, you might try a shorter acting medicine
like Tylenol. You could dose right before bedtime, then once enough time
has passed, give another dose in the night.

Has the night waking always been like this, or has he gotten worse -- i.e.,
did he used to wake once or twice a night, but is now waking 5 times a
night? I agree with April's suggestion of offering water at night, perhaps
even leaving a sippy cup in his crib with him so he can learn to get a drink
on his own if he is thirsty...he's pretty young, but he'll figure it out
eventually.

When I first started reading your post, part of me thought -- hey, he's a
baby, babies wake up in the night. But I do agree that 5 times is a lot --
again, unless that's always been his pattern. When you feed him from the
bottle during the day, do you limit his intake to 6 ounces, or do you make a
8-9 ounce bottle and just let him eat all he wants, and he stops at 6
ounces? If you can get him to eat a bit more during the day, he might sleep
longer at night. I know my younger daughter was still waking 2-3 times a
night at 14 months, and eating very little during the day, but downing 8-9
ounces at every waking. I stopped giving her the night time bottle (and did
a CIO - cry it out), and after a few days, she began to eat more during the
day. She was waking up at night out of habit and hunger. Once she had
enough calories to feed her growing body during the day, she didn't need to
get them at night.

I hope some of that helps. Good luck.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_Guest1, Password:
guest
Password

Old October 11th 07, 12:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & co

I agree with Jamie about leaving a sippy cup of water in the crib if you're
comfortable doing that. I started letting Joanna have the sippy cup with her
during the night a few months ago but was nervouse at first in case she
chocked drinking it through the night but she seems fine and it's just the
decision you can make alone. I would however advice though that if you're
not going to leave his cup in with him then when you do offer him a night
time drink then it's water and only water as like I said before it's boring
for baby and sooner or later baby will realise that mummy isnt going to
bring me milk or something else thats nice it's just going to be oh here
baby here's your water, oh your bum is dry, okay it's night time now good
night. Oh but mum you used to play with me at night and give me milk and
nice chats in the early hrs, oh bum u given up on that one well okay then
i'll go to sleep and we can do it in the morning instead

Sorry went into baby brain then but u get the message i'm sure. I would
however rule out a health issue if this is a new thing.

april

Old October 11th 07, 12:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Oct 10, 8:45 pm, "april & co"
wrote:
[...]

Password- Hide quoted text -

Thank you all for your suggestions! I did take my son to the doctor
yesterday and there was no ear infection just one healthy little
boy. And last night he only woke twice which I am fine with. Once
early in the evening around 11ish for a bottle and once at 3:00am for
a bum change. Both times went right back down to sleep no prob
Perhaps he felt my worring about him the last few nights and this
caused him to wake more.... I don't know I am just thankful that he
did better last night and that there is a place to go to talk to real
people that have gone through the same thing!
Thanks to all once again
Lori-anne