Gatorade for Toddlers

Old December 15th 03, 11:04 PM
cloud nine

Default Gatorade for Toddlers

1.) Is Gatorade okay for a 2.5 year old to drink? I was thinking of the
electrolytes (sp?).

2.) Would it be "better" than drinking fruit juices? Or are they about the
same as far as sugar content?

I have a huge water drinker but would like to give him something different
on occasion.

Thanks!

Old December 16th 03, 12:12 AM
Denise

"cloud nine" wrote in message
1.) Is Gatorade okay for a 2.5 year old to drink? I was thinking of the
electrolytes (sp?).

2.) Would it be "better" than drinking fruit juices? Or are they about

the
same as far as sugar content?

I have a huge water drinker but would like to give him something different
on occasion.

Thanks!

There's a ton of sugar in Gatorade, so I don't think it would be much
different than drinking fruit juice in that aspect. I know you're not
supposed to give sick kids Gatorade, but I haven't heard the same warning
for healthy children. My kids occassionally drink mine when I have it, but
not very often.

Old December 16th 03, 01:16 AM
just me

"cloud nine" wrote in message
1.) Is Gatorade okay for a 2.5 year old to drink? I was thinking of the
electrolytes (sp?).

2.) Would it be "better" than drinking fruit juices? Or are they about

the
same as far as sugar content?

I have a huge water drinker but would like to give him something different
on occasion.

It's really loaded with sugar, of the added variety. At least real fruit
juices have natural stuff. But, your water drinker might appreciate a fruit
juice on occasion as a change of pace, even some gatorade at times, but you
might want to discourage it being a regular event as it might really help
encourage development of a preference for water with additives, iykwim
[experience speaking here]. Took me a L O N G time to fully reverse DS'
sudden preference for anything other than water after he got some too
regular treats of gatorade.....

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Old December 16th 03, 01:36 AM
P. Tierney

"just me" wrote in message
m...
"cloud nine" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen this as well. We are strictly water and milk here, and
it seems, from informal observation, that once some kids get a
taste of the sugar juice, they do not want to go back.

To the OP, I'd stick with water.

P. Tierney

Old December 16th 03, 06:02 AM
laurie

1.) Is Gatorade okay for a 2.5 year old to drink? I was thinking of the
electrolytes (sp?).

There is less sodium in gatorade than there is in milk. The potassium content
is barely more than marginal.

2.) Would it be "better" than drinking fruit juices? Or are they about the
same as far as sugar content?

Jessica's old pediatrician felt that it was better than juice as it contains
less sugar. It's not fortified with vitamins, however, so pick which one is
more important to you!

Jessica rarely drinks juice, but usually has 4 or so ounces of gatorade in a
day. She knows it as "daddy juice", however, as I always buy it for her daddy!
She loves the stuff!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 7.5 months
Old December 17th 03, 01:02 AM
Cheryl S.

"cloud nine" wrote in message
1.) Is Gatorade okay for a 2.5 year old to drink? I
was thinking of the electrolytes (sp?).

2.) Would it be "better" than drinking fruit juices?
Or are they about the same as far as sugar content?

I have a huge water drinker but would like to give
him something different on occasion.

Why is it important to you to give him something different? If he's
happy drinking water, I wouldn't give him anything else. Water is the
healthiest thing to drink. Once I started letting Julie have (very
diluted) juice at lunch and dinner, but only water the rest of the time,
she soon started not drinking at anytime other than meals and not
getting enough fluids. Now she won't drink plain water and I've ended
up having to give her (very diluted) juice all the time, so I wish I'd
never given it to her in the first place.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.