The bottle

Old December 17th 03, 10:29 PM
drvnguy

Default The bottle

or as my girlfriends daughter would say ....bubba
i am just wondering when its a good time to stop or how to wean a child off
the milk bubba ,she is almost 4 years old and refuses to have a warm glass
of milk ,only warm when its in a bubba ...is it best to stop cold turkey or
cut back on times ....thanks

Old December 17th 03, 11:21 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

With a child who's almost four, I'd discuss the issue. You could, for
example, pick a time/day when she'll put the bottle away. Get her a
really cool cup and present her with it on that day. Let her give the
bottle away to a baby who "needs" it more than she does. But do your
best to let HER take charge as much as possible.

At worst she'll drink other things for a while, things she's willing to
drink out of a cup. But eventually she'll go back to milk.

Maybe a cool, twisty straw ...

Just my thoughts. (We got rid of the bottles at 18 months, but the
pacifiers didn't go until age 3 1/2...)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 18th 03, 12:57 AM
toto

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:29:01 -0500, "drvnguy"
wrote:

or as my girlfriends daughter would say ....bubba
i am just wondering when its a good time to stop or how to wean a child off
the milk bubba ,she is almost 4 years old and refuses to have a warm glass
of milk ,only warm when its in a bubba ...is it best to stop cold turkey or
cut back on times ....thanks

Why does she need warm milk? My kids always drank their milk cold
from their cups once they had cups.

How often does she have a bottle? If it's only right before bed and
she isn't drinking it in bed, I would offer her milk in a cup instead.
If she is drinking a bottle in bed, then cut the milk with water
gradually. This is very bad for their teeth (having a night time
bottle in bed).

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old December 18th 03, 02:40 AM
just me

"drvnguy" wrote in message
or as my girlfriends daughter would say ....bubba
i am just wondering when its a good time to stop or how to wean a child

off
the milk bubba ,she is almost 4 years old and refuses to have a warm glass
of milk ,only warm when its in a bubba ...is it best to stop cold turkey

or
cut back on times ....thanks

The key to the answer to your question is not the child's age, but your
relationship to the child. If you are in a committed long term relationship
with the girl's mother you *might* consider asking her about her plan to
discontinue the bottle [implying that she may be planning to do it when the
child turns 20, no judgments intended to mom there], but you should not be
making primary parenting decisions for the child of a friend, no matter how
good a friend they are. It is asking for a huge argument and possible
severance or cooling of your relationship with little girl's mom.

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Old December 18th 03, 03:07 AM
Peggy

"they" say babies should be weaned off the bottle by 14 months. Mine was
taken off at around age 2. Nearly 4 is too long. Make her quit cold turkey
but be prepared for a week or so of her wanting it back. Don't give in.
jmho,
Peggy

Old December 18th 03, 01:15 PM
Sophie

wrote:

or as my girlfriends daughter would say ....bubba
i am just wondering when its a good time to stop or how to wean a child

off
the milk bubba ,she is almost 4 years old and refuses to have a warm

glass
of milk ,only warm when its in a bubba ...is it best to stop cold turkey

or
cut back on times ....thanks

Why does she need warm milk? My kids always drank their milk cold
from their cups once they had cups.

Maybe cos she likes warm milk. My kids do - plain, strawberry, or chocolate.
I don't see what's weird about *that* part of the problem.

How often does she have a bottle? If it's only right before bed and
she isn't drinking it in bed, I would offer her milk in a cup instead.
If she is drinking a bottle in bed, then cut the milk with water
gradually. This is very bad for their teeth (having a night time
bottle in bed).

--
Dorothy

My youngest is 2 and only has a bottle for bed. And I'm really late taking
it away from him (he's a bad sleeper). My kids were on sippy cups of some
kind on their first birthday, and off bottles for bed/naps by 18 months to 2
yrs (except my youngest - sigh).

I always stop things cold turkey.

Baby won't accept breast milk bottle after attempting formula - help! dejablues General 9 December 24th 03 10:12 AM
Weaning a toddler off a bottle Mark Griffiths General 5 November 30th 03 05:49 PM
Still on bottle at 18 months Karen P General 4 August 15th 03 01:00 PM
A bottle question Laurie General 2 August 13th 03 10:45 PM
Reason for weaning from bottle at 1 yo? Truffles General 38 July 13th 03 09:18 AM