OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Old October 26th 04, 04:51 AM
lizzard woman

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
| "lizzard woman" wrote:
|
| "Sara" wrote in message
| |H Schinske wrote:
| |
| | I've read that there are no cats in the Bible, either (unless you
count
| lions
| | and such).
| |
| | Epistle of Jeremiah, from Baruch (Apocrypha)
| | 21: Upon their bodies and heads sit bats, swallows, and birds, and the
| | cats also.
|
| And let's not forget that bats are considered birds in the "inerrant"
bible.

| I don't know how a thinking adult can be a bible literalist/inerrantist.
| Can someone explain that to me please?
|
| Well originally the Catholic church didn't want people to read the
| Bible. That was only for priests.

Excellent point. There is a reason for everything.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old October 26th 04, 06:52 AM
Anne

"Tori M."
According to my husband, who is more scientificly minded then i am btw,
carbon dating is not accurate past a certain date.. They can give a far

off
time frame but not anything within reason.. I have often wondered about

the
"days" that they talk about in the bible after all it isnt like God lives

by
the rules of the earth.. he created them.. Maybe someday I will know the
answers..

Your husband is right after 50 thousand years or so there is not enough
carbon 14 left in the sample to determine the age of the sample. No real
scientist would use that technique to date dinosaus bones; the only
information that you can get from it is that the sample is older than 50
thousand years. Nevertheless, this is enough to prove that the bible
shouldn't be taken literally.
To date dinosaur bones; they use other isotopes or they can analyse the
magnetism of the soil around the bone when the soil has the same age than
the bone because it is made from sediments or lava from volcano.
Anne

Old October 26th 04, 07:06 AM
Anne

"Jeff"

You will have then a problem with dinosaur bones
that are proven to be hundred million of years old.

Nope, obviously God put them there for a reason.

You really think that God put the dinosaur bones there?

Since these Chistians
can't deny the scientific facts, they say that the devil put the bones

there
to fool humans.

What do you meant hey can't deny the scientific facts?

Saying the devil put them there DOES deny the scientific facts.

Sorry, english is not my first language, I mean they can't prove them
scientifically wrong. They have to use the devil as a magical tool to fit
the facts with the bible.

The evolution theory doesn't say that we come from dinosaurs but that

there
was an evolution in the species; that at the beginning there was

bacteria
then fishes then mammals then apes and then humans.

But if God made the world for humans, why did he have extinctions before
human came about?

Maybe because human woudn't have been able to develop well with dinosaurs
around. Maybe they are needed to understand how the creation happened, how
the evolution happened, how the universe works, etc... Maybe they existed
and die just to show us how fragile we are as a specie?

Anne

Old October 26th 04, 04:54 PM
Cheryl S.

"firedancer623" wrote in message
Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which
basically qualified me with a note saying something along the
lines of "you will be summoned within the next year"

First, don't panic. I've been summoned four times. Once before kids,
three times since becoming a SAHM. Here are my experiences:

First time: had no difficulty serving whatsoever, my employer gave me
the time off with no trouble and I had no other daytime
responsibilities. Sat in jury pool room for one day, was never even
called to a courtroom. End of service.

Second and third times: summoned to a state court. I had
responsibility for my baby/toddler all day, with no childcare available.
Called jury clerk and was told to write this on the questionnaire. Was
excused both times.

Fourth time: summoned to a federal court. Full time care of toddler
plus third-trimester pregnant, and court was 40 miles away. Not given
excusal; was offered a 6-month postponement (that would help HOW??!!) I
was 'on call' for four weeks, and was supposed to call a recording
*after the close of business* every Friday to find out whether I had to
be there at 8:00 am the very next Monday. No opportunity to give the
advance notice daycares wanted, and no daycares wanted to take on a
temporary situation of unknown duration anyway. But the clerk was very
kind and worked with me to avoid my having to go in. When my pool ID
number came up, she switched my number.

The horror stories are always the ones you hear, and I was really
stressed out each time. I hope yours turns out as anti-climactic as
mine have. I do think that people who are the sole daytime caregivers
of any dependent person (including disabled and elderly) should by law
have the option of being excused upon request. We're talking about
*people* here, who can't just be stuck in any old place, with a
stranger, at a moment's notice. It's not for the caregiver's benefit,
it's for those who are dependent upon them.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 1

Old October 26th 04, 05:28 PM
Cheryl S.

"newfy.1" wrote in message
Well, then I guess I can't comment...seriously though, you get the
summons
very far in advance. I cannot imagine that a person can't find ANY
childcare
in the time that passes when you receive the summons to the time that
the
date comes up.

IME, you get the questionnaire in advance. The actual summons gives you
a week or two. I've tried calling daycare facilities for jury duty.
The conversation goes something like this:

DCP: "When do you need to start?"

Me: "I don't know"

DCP "How long will you need care for?"

Me: "I don't know."

At this point all the DCP wants is to be off the phone with me ASAP. I
can just hear them thinking, "well what DO you know??"
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 1

Old October 26th 04, 07:50 PM
H Schinske

Anne wrote:

Your husband is right after 50 thousand years or so there is not enough
carbon 14 left in the sample to determine the age of the sample.

Is there any carbon 14 in fossils anyway, even younger ones? I thought the
process of fossilization pretty much replaced all the bone, so that strictly
speaking there are no actual dinosaur bones left, only their images in stone.

--Helen
Old October 27th 04, 12:35 AM
Anne

"H Schinske"
Is there any carbon 14 in fossils anyway, even younger ones? I thought the
process of fossilization pretty much replaced all the bone, so that

strictly
speaking there are no actual dinosaur bones left, only their images in

stone.

I don't really know how the fossilisation process goes, and I don't have
time right now to look it up. What I know is that stable carbon (carbon 12)
cannot disappear; it can be rearranged but not disappear. I don't think that
the carbon is released in a gas form during the fossilisation process, and
then it should still be in the fossil. For comparison, after you ate some
sugar, the carbon in it doesn't form sugar anymore, it can be rearranged to
form fat, bone, muscle or whatever. Even though that it doesn't form sugar
anymore, it is still carbon.
Carbon 14 is an unstable isotope of carbon 12. Carbon 14 "disappears" by
disintegration. The time that is needed for half of the carbon 14 to
disappear is a constant that doesn't change if it is rearranged. Without a
new intake from food, the amount of carbon 14 in fossil (or bone; it doesn't
matter) decreases in a known rate until there is not enough of it to be
analyzed with accuracy.

Anne