raspberry tea and evening primrose oil

Old July 1st 04, 02:40 PM
Sophie

Default raspberry tea and evening primrose oil

"lee.woollett" wrote in message
Hi all, hope everyone is well, i was speaking to a friend and she

suggested
i start taking raspberry capsules as the tea is discusting, are they as
effective tho? and evening primrose oil as it helps soften the cervix.

Anyone any idea what is the best form of raspberry stuff to take and when

should start taking them, i have 8 weeks left but am being tqaken in in 6

so
am thinking i will need to start soon?

Thanks in advance

Jen & kira (20 months)
EDD #2 24th aug 2004 but going in 10th aug 2004

How do you already know when you're going in and if you already have a date
what do you need to take all that stuff for?

Old July 1st 04, 03:12 PM
lee.woollett

Hi all, hope everyone is well, i was speaking to a friend and she suggested
i start taking raspberry capsules as the tea is discusting, are they as
effective tho? and evening primrose oil as it helps soften the cervix.

Anyone any idea what is the best form of raspberry stuff to take and when i

Old July 1st 04, 06:01 PM
Mary W.

"lee.woollett" wrote:

I went for my 32 week check this week and they said its big again, like my
first was and as i had a section with her coz she was breech and want this
one naturally, they said they'd bring me in to check it's size and if it is
still as big they will probably induce me coz dont want me to go to term+
and realise i cant deliver it as it's too big, apparently kira was big for
me so any bigger and i might need a section again which i really want to
avoid.

As i will b induced i gathered anything that might help a bit would b useful

I too had a c-section for my first and am planning a VBAC (vaginal birth
after c-section) for this baby. I'd be concerned that they are talking about
inducing you. Statistically, your risk of uterine rupture increases with
induction. My midwives are very against induction for a VBAC patient.
I'd also be concerned that they are worried about the size of your
baby. You have no idea how big a baby you can birth, since your
section was for breech. Leslie, who posts here, had a vaginal birth
after 3 c-sections. Her vaginally birthed baby - over 13 lbs! (She's
my inspiration).

For information about VBACs:
www.vbac.com
www.ican-online.org

Oh, and I drink 3 cups of raspberry leaf tea a day. I actually kind
of like it.

Good luck,

Mary

Old July 1st 04, 06:08 PM
Sophie

I went for my 32 week check this week and they said its big again, like my
first was and as i had a section with her coz she was breech and want this
one naturally, they said they'd bring me in to check it's size and if it

is
still as big they will probably induce me coz dont want me to go to term+
and realise i cant deliver it as it's too big, apparently kira was big for
me so any bigger and i might need a section again which i really want to
avoid.

As i will b induced i gathered anything that might help a bit would b

useful

hope this make sense

Jen, kira & bump

I'm surprised they'll induce after a c-section. My OB with my 2nd didn't
want to do that.

Old July 1st 04, 07:10 PM
Ericka Kammerer

lee.woollett wrote:

I went for my 32 week check this week and they said its big again, like my
first was and as i had a section with her coz she was breech and want this
one naturally, they said they'd bring me in to check it's size and if it is
still as big they will probably induce me coz dont want me to go to term+
and realise i cant deliver it as it's too big, apparently kira was big for
me so any bigger and i might need a section again which i really want to
avoid.

Apologies in advance if you feel this is out of line,
but I guess I'd rather say something than bite my tongue in
case you haven't heard this before.
What your doctors have said is a complete load of
BS. There is no empirical medical evidence that inducing
for suspected large baby is useful or reduces complications.
You add the risks and stresses of induction and don't even
decrease the c-section rate. Late term estimates of weight
can be off by as much as a pound and a half to two pounds.
In particular, inductions with prostaglandins increase
the risk of rupture for a VBAC *significantly*, and
frankly, I wouldn't let them at me with pitocin if I
were attempting a VBAC either (it's not as well studied,
but it wouldn't be surprising if it increased the rupture
risk as well, since a known risk of pitocin is that it
can cause uterine hyperstimulation).
So, if you allow an induction, you are taking
on risk and what have you got to show for it? Your last
was big, but you were sectioned because she was *breech*,
not because you couldn't deliver her. And frankly, anyone
who tells you they can tell you couldn't have delivered
her vaginally by looking is utterly full of sh*t. Unless
you have some sort of pelvic deformity, there's no way
to tell without trying--and most of the time, if you
try, you will succeed even if the baby is big (particularly
if you retain enough mobility during your labor to
deliver in a position other than sitting or semi-sitting).
Henci Goer has a book called _The Thinking Woman's
Guide to a Better Birth_ that has excellent chapters on
inductions, large babies, c-sections, and such with all
sorts of references to the medical literature. I would
strongly recommend that you read that book before you
agree to an induction. If nothing else, even if you decide
to go forward with it, it will give you information on
how to do so with the least risk to you and your baby
and the best odds of success.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 1st 04, 07:28 PM
Circe

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
[...]

What Ericka said. Doubled. If you really want a VBAC, don't get suckered
into an induction, *especially* an early induction. It's a recipe for a
repeat C-section. You might as well just book the ERCS and have done with
it. Your doctor is not supportive of your VBAC attempt, wants to section
you, and is doing everything in his power to ensure that he does. Sorry to
be cynical, but sometimes, you gotta call 'em as you see 'em.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Dick Cheney: Putting the vice in the vice presidency"

Old July 1st 04, 07:58 PM
Indyrah

Regardless of the opinions on induction...I'm still wondering about the
rasberry tea and evening primrose oil..... Can somebody fill me in?

(sitting quietly, deciding whether to tell you guys my doctor suggested
early induction also...and considering my first two experiences, I'm
considering it. (neither a c-section)).

Old July 1st 04, 08:19 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Indyrah wrote:

Regardless of the opinions on induction...I'm still wondering about the
rasberry tea and evening primrose oil..... Can somebody fill me in?

Sorry, don't really know on that front. I drank
the RRL tea. In the dark recesses of my brain, I seem
to recall hearing that was the preferred form, but I
didn't say anything because I'm not sure where I heard
that or whether it's true. I've certainly heard of
folks doing EPO, but didn't do it myself. I know it's
used orally and applied to the cervix, but again,
haven't a clue as to the timing, dosage, or preferred
form.

(sitting quietly, deciding whether to tell you guys my doctor suggested
early induction also...and considering my first two experiences, I'm
considering it. (neither a c-section)).

I understood your doctor to have suggested it.
I just can't fathom on what basis he recommends early
induction for suspected large baby, as the medical
research just ain't there to suggest that it reduces
the rate of c-sections or instrumental deliveries.
Here's the abstract from the Cochrane group (the premier
organization for evidence based medicine):

http://www.update-software.com/abstracts/ab000938.htm

Based on their analysis of the available, high quality
medical research, induction for suspected macrosomia
did not reduce the c-section rate or the instrumental
delivery rate, nor did it improve maternal of neonatal
morbidity. Why go through an induction and increase
the risk of rupture if you're not going to improve
your odds of a vaginal delivery or improve the health
of your baby?

Obviously, there may be other factors at play that
you haven't shared (and no need to do so, if you
don't wish to!) and you certainly have the right
to choose whatever you wish. I think it's just
wise to have all the details before committing,
since so many doctors flagrantly ignore the medical
evidence in this area.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 1st 04, 09:17 PM
Not My Real Name

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

I've certainly heard of
folks doing EPO, but didn't do it myself. I know it's
used orally and applied to the cervix, but again,
haven't a clue as to the timing, dosage, or preferred
form.

IIRC, my midwives recommended starting at about 37 or 38 weeks or so. I
want to say it was two capsules a day, orally, but I'm a bit sketchy on
that. They said I could also use them vaginally, but I don't remember if I
did that or not. I did the oral though, and I went into labor spontaneously
at 40w6d, after having been 1-2 cm at my appointment 5 days prior. I don't
know if the EPO helped, but I doubt it hurt. That was for a first pregnancy
though, and I don't know if the recommendations are different for a
second-timer.

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 27 months