2 month old always wants to be held

Old August 7th 07, 07:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default 2 month old always wants to be held

On Aug 7, 11:07 am, "
wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:34?am, wrote: I wondered about that too. Usually my wife is with him most of the
day. When he starts crying she would offer the bottle. Sometimes he
would eat maybe a half an oz. Now he tends to "graze", so we've been
trying to "fix" that. We're in California with central A/C that is
kept on most of the time. We've noticed that generally he likes to be
a little warm, so we'll only have the AC come on if it's above 80.

It does sound like normal young-baby fussiness (possibly colic) that
nothing will fix except tincture of time, but you might want to rule
out cow's milk allergy (or soy, if he's on soy formula). In the few
cases where an allergy is to blame, I'm told the difference can be
like night and day.

--Helen

Done that too. On soy he's gets very constipated. So we have him on
formula for "fussy" babies. Not sure if really helps or not.

Old August 7th 07, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

schrieb:

The baby articles we got from the hospital advises not to let your
baby graze.
This is why new parents like me are hopeless. We get conflicting
opinions.

Yes, and they probably also said breast is best, but don't worry if you
have to feed formula as it's "just as good". And they probably also said
don't nurse for more than x minutes per side, and feed every 3 hours,...

You know, we all come equipped with a brain and a heart, and if you or
your wife feel uncomfortable letting your child cry for 20 minutes (btw:
are you letting him cry alone for the entire 20 minutes, or do you go in
every few minutes?) it's probably not the right thing to do. And if I
had listened to the nurses in hospital my son would not have been
breastfeed for long because he took a lot longer than 10 minutes to feed.

He's 8 weeks old. Give him a break. You'll have him for about 18 more
years, holding him for another month won't kill you, and just think
about the big picture, he'll spend a lot more time of his life out of
your arms than in your arms, and even though it's sometimes hard, it'll
pass a lot quicker than you think.

Sam is nearly 7. When he was a few weeks old I felt as though the only
thing I'd be doing for the rest of my life would be sitting in bed
nursing. Guess what, it passed. Every phase passes, that's why it's
called a phase.
How many 7 year olds do you know that need to be held all the time? Just
because some people tell you to "break that habit early" doesn't mean
they're right. It's not a habit, and it doesn't need to be broken. If he
needs to be held to feel safe, he needs to be held to feel safe.

Seriously, go with your and your wifes intuition. If she can't handle
him crying it out don't make him cry it out. Find a different way. Maybe
you can all go for a walk with him in the evening when he gets fussy,
when they cry outside it's not nearly as horrible as if they cry at
home, plus the fresh air and exercise will do all of you good. I know I
used to walk with Sam in the stroller for 2 hours in the morning and
another two in the afternoon. It was mainly something for me to do.

Use the sling for the walks if you want to, he'll get the walking motion
and the close body contact that way. Besides, there's just no greater
feeling than being able to make your baby fall asleep by just holding it
and walking with it. At least for me it was like that ;-)

And stop worrying about every tiny little thing, seriously, babies will
cry, babies will not conform to schedules, babies will not reach
milestones according to books. Are you hungry at the exact same time
every day? Do you fall asleep at the exact same time every day? Are you
just as good at maths as you are at creative writing? What about your
wife, do you fall asleep at the same time, wake up at the same time,...?
Of course not! So why expect your 8 week old baby to be like that? We're
humans not robots... Some days we feel happy and relaxed and some days
we feel anxious and uncomfortable. That's just the way it is.

cu
nicole