are identical twins and a singlet in the womb at once possible?

Old July 28th 03, 06:13 PM

Default are identical twins and a singlet in the womb at once possible?

Can anyone tell me if a pregnancy can consist of identical twins and a
singlet all in the womb at the same time (a total of three infants)? Thanks,

Old July 28th 03, 07:08 PM
Rhiann1048

From: "N"
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003 11:13 AM

Can anyone tell me if a pregnancy can consist of identical twins and a
singlet all in the womb at the same time (a total of three infants)? Thanks,

Yes. Two eggs could fertilize and one later splits into ID twins.

Lori
Old July 28th 03, 09:34 PM
Cindy Wells

N wrote:

Can anyone tell me if a pregnancy can consist of identical twins and a
singlet all in the womb at the same time (a total of three infants)? Thanks,

Very possible to have triplets with a fraternal and 2 identical babies.
You can also have more fraternal siblings in utero and
have an identical pair in there. (a recent news article was on
quintuplets - IVF transferred 4 embryos and one split into two.)

Cindy Wells
(who knew a set of triplets in her high school - they were identical
girls + a fraternal sister. The story, though, claimed they were quads,
2 sets of identical girls and one didn't survive.)
Old July 28th 03, 11:53 PM
The Huwe Family

My doctor thinks I might be carrying a set of identicals and a fraternal in
my triplet package. He was watching eggs develop, and only 2 should have
produced anything. I guess we will find out in about 8 weeks.

Gayle
nk.net...

Old July 29th 03, 12:44 AM
Claudia Straka

Yes, the technical term for this is "triplets". (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I used to work with a woman who was part of this kind of triplet set (2ID+1FRAT)

Claudia

Old July 29th 03, 02:25 AM
Nick Theodorakis

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:53:43 GMT, "The Huwe Family"
wrote:

My doctor thinks I might be carrying a set of identicals and a fraternal in
my triplet package. He was watching eggs develop, and only 2 should have
produced anything. I guess we will find out in about 8 weeks.

Yes, it's possible.

Are these IVF babies, by any chance? There seems to be some evidence
for an increase in monozygotic twinning after some types of assisted
reproduction.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

Old July 29th 03, 05:52 AM
momofamultitude

I have a pair and a spare. 2 identical and 1 fraternal girls.

We call them Anna, Madison and Paige

Take Care
momofamultitude aka Shannon
nk.net...

Old July 29th 03, 02:52 PM
The Huwe Family

For me it was IUF. Pretty much just my ovaries were being stimulated.

Gayle
"Nick Theodorakis" wrote in
message ...

Old July 30th 03, 03:42 AM

I'd like to thank every one of you who replied, as I'm finishing a fictional
story about twin brothers, and part of my premise is that a third sibling,
lost in the first trimester, would have been a singlet. I want to be correct
in my science. Again, thank you all so much, what a kind newsgroup this is,
unlike the ADD (attention deficit disorder) one I visit now and then, only
to get frustrated after three or four replies into a thread, when everyone
turns nasty. I feel privileged. Thank you, N

"momofamultitude" wrote in message
. ..
I have a pair and a spare. 2 identical and 1 fraternal girls.

We call them Anna, Madison and Paige

Take Care
momofamultitude aka Shannon
nk.net...

Old July 30th 03, 05:21 PM

And thank you for that poetic use of the language, "a pair and a spare." How
fascinating that must be, to have two identical girls, and one fraternal.
How old are they now if you don't mind me asking? Thank you, N

"momofamultitude" wrote in message
. ..
I have a pair and a spare. 2 identical and 1 fraternal girls.

We call them Anna, Madison and Paige

Take Care
momofamultitude aka Shannon
nk.net...