Expecting Twins: What Do I Need?

Old June 17th 04, 03:59 PM
pattersontwins

Default Expecting Twins: What Do I Need?

Hi -
I'm due in November pregnant with twins and I don't have a clue on what to
buy as far as strollers, carriers, car seats, cribs.... it's all so over
whelming.

I would be truly grateful for any input on what to buy!

Thank you so very much!
Jennifer

Old June 17th 04, 05:54 PM
Terri and Rob

Congratulations on your twins! It really is a great and amazing thing.

You will definitely need a double stroller. Different people have different
opinions on what kind to buy, but I prefer to side by side design over the
front and back. I like the side by side better because I find it is easier
to maneuver. You also want one that has room for lots of storage
underneath. Sometimes I use mine for shopping rather than a cart when I
have the babies with me.
What you want to look for is one that is meant for twins rather than a baby
and a toddler together. That way both seats will recline equally to
accommodate two babies at the same stage of development. That being said
though, some side by side double strollers do not fit through doors , or
aisles of stores very well. Mine has no problem in that area.
The brand I use is Graco Duoglide and I really like it. It meets all the
criteria and is inexpensive.

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

lkaboutparenting.com...

Old June 17th 04, 08:33 PM
H Schinske

Hi -
I'm due in November pregnant with twins and I don't have a clue on what to
buy as far as strollers, carriers, car seats, cribs.... it's all so over
whelming.

Our basic rule was to buy just one of anything that wasn't totally essential
(obviously you need two car seats, for instance!), and then decide whether to
get a second. Our babies shared a crib for the first five months (we were
living in a small place with no room for two cribs). We put them crossways in
the crib when they were tiny. (This works well for a singleton, too, as they
seem to feel cozier that way.) We had just one swing and one bouncy chair, and
never really felt a need for a second of either, but it would have been
reasonably easy to go out and get another if necessary (that's the kind of
errand that is not too difficult to ask someone to do, when you know what brand
you want). Some babies turn out not to like the swing or the bouncy chair *at
all*, so see if you can try it out after the babies are born before buying, or
make sure you have enough time to return it.

To me, it helped my stress level a lot to minimize STUFF in the house. We had
one dresser full of clothes for both kids, for instance, and although I had
same-sex twins, even if I'd had boy/girl twins I would have had them share most
clothes, as it makes laundry and sorting vastly easier. We didn't end up
splitting their clothes until they were in preschool, as I recall (or it might
have been the year before, when they were three).

I can't give too much stroller advice as the model we had doesn't exist any
longer, but though it was actually meant for a baby and a toddler, it did have
the capability for both seats to go down flat, so that both babies could lie in
it as if it were an old-fashioned carriage. The only time it was a pain was
when they were too big for that, but still too small to sit propped up very
well. I was constantly rearranging the rolled-up towels.

I really like slings as I never felt with twins that they got enough proper
holding time. I used to eat lunch most days with one baby in the swing and one
in a sling.

--Helen

Old June 17th 04, 09:08 PM
Jolene GJ

Congratulations Jennifer!

Depending where you live, Check into a local Mothers of Multiples group.

They can really help you out and give you a hand in finding items.
They may also know who locally offers 'deals' for twins.

We live in Southern Washington where a local manufacture of disp.diapers.
will provide product free if you'll test them and provide feedback.

Sit back and get ready for an awesome ride!

Jolene