new childfree newsgroup where parents can post too

Old August 6th 03, 12:25 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

Default new childfree newsgroup where parents can post too

"Silvasurfa" wrote in message
m...

[]
Should I come over sometime when I feel the mood and raise hell, or
would you prefer that I didn't? Do tell.

I suppose if you were to raise hell in a bridgebuilding sort of way ... g

No, it wouldn't work. But if you want a "gangs of New York" kind of group,
there were a couple of other dead groups in alt. There is alt.childfree and
alt.childfree.discussion. You could do the same thing that I've done with
a.c.b - request in on your server and get some other people to do it to.
Make a few inflammatory posts and I'm sure that somebody will come to fight
with you. g

The great thing about looking for trouble is that one has such a good chance
of success.

Jayne

Old August 6th 03, 02:48 PM
user

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 05:45:21 GMT, P. Tierney wrote:
"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote in message

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

[]
So, what are some samples of thread topics that would reasonably
overlap? Hypothetically, of course.

This is what it says in the alt.childfree.bridgebuilding FAQ:

Q. What are some examples of possible topics of discussion?

A. These include:
Information about CF events, articles and websites.
How the CF movement is related to population and environmental issues.
Societal support (or not) for child-rearing such as tax deductions for
children, maternity leave, subsidized day-care, family-friendly workplace
policies.
Appropriate standards of public behaviour for children
Descriptions of personal experiences or news stories involving
behaviour of children/parents or of the childfree that are likely to
generate differing opinions among parents and childfree because of their
differing perspectives.
Comparing the CF movement to other social movements.

I didn't know that being CF was a "movement", as opposed to
unrelated individuals making unrelated choices, much like those
who choose to have kids. Live and learn.

Some people think that three people doing something constitutes
a trend. ;-)

True. But those who have posted on this newsgroup are about
as disgusting as they come. That has been my impression, anyway.

I have seen some pretty awful stuff done by the extreme CF minority. One

of
my first reactions was to prove to myself that they were a minority and

that
there are lots of pleasant CF people out there.

I'm sure that is the case, but crossposting would inflame the worst
of them, I would think. And the minority could easily drawf the posts
of the majority. This is the Internet, after all. Imagine a newsgroup of
religious teetotlers crossposting their messages with a newsgroup focused
on beer drinking. Nothing but trouble. But maybe kind of funny. ;-)

It absolutely would have that effect. Every now and then I'll lurk
around in ascf, and it's not uncommon for one of the posters there
to point to a "breeder" site, usenet posting, etc, and incite others to
join in and raise havoc. And then come back and gloat about how
clever they think they are. I can't imagine how this situation
would be any different.

Could they, in theory, find issues to discuss, and do so reasonably?
Yes, in theory. But not in reality, imo.

I suspect that the biggest problem is that, when you read ascf, you find
that these are generally not people who want support in their choice about a
particular lifestyle. They want a forum where they can spew vitriol and
venom about children and parents. It's amazing - some of the ostensibly
hard-line regulars talk about children far, far more than I do. Their
obsession with them borders on the ridiculous. In the case of the
extremists, they're only likely to try to disrupt things. For the childfree
who are merely disinterested in children, I can't imagine why they
would be participating. It's like when a friend of mine has a hobby
that they enjoy, but I don't. I'm happy to listen to them talk
about it, because they get pleasure from it, but I'm not about to
start participating in forums and focus groups to discuss it.

- Rich

Old August 6th 03, 03:39 PM
elizabeth

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote in message ...
"SarahH" wrote in message

[]
Jayne, Im curious as to why you havent posted a copy of this to a.s.cf?

Because I'm a parent and I want to respect their wish that I do not post
there. We have a few childfree people in our creation team,

No, you don't. You may have BREEDER WANNA BE or two, but NO CFers.
You want our approval for your MISTAKE.

**** off, Kuntikakas. We don't need your approval to improve the
world you breeders are bent on destroying with your fecundity.

so I'm
expecting one of them to post something like this there soon. The CF team
members probably want access to the group themselves before they invite
others there and it's taking a while to get it.

There are no CF teamers, you lying sack of bloody diarrhea.

The diaper fumes must be getting to you.
Old August 6th 03, 03:41 PM
elizabeth

"Donna Metler" wrote in message m...
snip
In addition, for those of us who want children and don't have them,

Then you are child LESS, not child FREE.
There are thousands of children who need homes, so you can adopt or
foster.

this
seems even more ludicrous. Having previously had a CF and happy about it
person tell me you don't need children to be fulfilled and happy, and I've
just been brainwashed by the whole "mother persona" in the media doesn't
help much. At least people who have children understand why I want them!

Yes, MISERY LOVES COMPANY.
So why not spend several grand on fert tx, spew a freaklitter of
'tards and then whine how THE VILLAGE has to pay for YOUR choice?
Old August 6th 03, 03:51 PM
user

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:45:02 -0500, Mamasamba wrote:
On 6 Aug 2003 07:39:26 -0700, (elizabeth) wrote:

Lovely.

To truly appreciate Elizabeth, you have to remember that even the
most rabid of the CF's on asc think she's a total nutcase.

Ask her about men, sometime. ;-)

Heck, ask her about women.

On second thought, just update your killfile.

Old August 6th 03, 04:13 PM
Banty

In article , user says...

"P. Tierney" wrote in message

[...]

See - that's one of the things about this. We can have home-owners vs.
apartment dwellers "reachout" newsgroups, city-living vs. country-living
"reachout" newsgroups, etc., etc., all with issues that some hot-headed subset
may wnat to point to in order to elevate themselves into a quasi-persecuted
minority group status (mortgage tax deduction, water rights, que es mas macho
between city and country, yadda yadda).

Jayne's run into some radical hotheads on USENET (imagine that - USENET
attracting hotheads), and doesn't understand the pathology. "Why can't we all
be friends?" "I'd like to teach the woorld to siiing, in puurrrfect
harrrmonneeee..."

What we see here is a pretty good indication of what this "reachout" NG would
be. It's not like a cultural reachout.

AS many of us have experienced IRL, folks who decide not to have kids, just like
folks to decide not to buy a house, or decide not to move to the 'burbs, or
whatever, make their lives, resist the pressures, and don't crow about it.

If Jayne wants to reach out to "childfrees", it would be very effective simply
to expand her own life a bit such that she meets folks who are doing things that
don't necessarily include kids. Then she'll meet lots of happy, balanced folks
who have decided on a path other than her own.

All this "reachout" group will do is attract the radical element who want their
desired quasi-persecuted minority status reflected back to them, and already in
this thread we have a pretty good idea what that's like.

Banty

Old August 6th 03, 08:33 PM
P. Tierney

"-L." wrote in message
m...

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote:

So, what are some samples of thread topics that would reasonably
overlap? Hypothetically, of course.

You understand that most child-free people don't have a huge urge to

go
around spouting hatred about sprogs, etc? The ones who post to

ASC-F
are
just, um, special.

Thank you for paining all CF people with the same broad, ugly brush.
It is exactly this type of attitude that needs to be addressed.

And thank you for incorrectly attributing a quote to me.

P. Tierney

Old August 6th 03, 08:45 PM
P. Tierney

"user" wrote:

I didn't know that being CF was a "movement", as opposed to
unrelated individuals making unrelated choices, much like those
who choose to have kids. Live and learn.

Some people think that three people doing something constitutes
a trend. ;-)

Hmm. Several people like such crossposting (trend!), and several
people don't (another trend!). Perhaps two newsgroups should be
started: alt.soc.crossposting -- a support group for those who like
to crosspost and feel the need to converse about crossposting with
other crossposters, and; alt.soc.crosspostingfree -- for those who
feel are put off by crossposters and wish to discuss with other
CPFers how to live in society free of crossposting.

But then, should the messages to the two groups be crossposted
to each other so that they can help foster an understanding as to
how CPers and CPFers can get along in the world together? That
indeed is the $1.32 question.

P.
Tierney

Old August 6th 03, 08:50 PM
Banty

In article , P. Tierney says...

"-L." wrote in message
om...

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote:

So, what are some samples of thread topics that would reasonably
overlap? Hypothetically, of course.

You understand that most child-free people don't have a huge urge to

go
around spouting hatred about sprogs, etc? The ones who post to

ASC-F
are
just, um, special.

Thank you for paining all CF people with the same broad, ugly brush.
It is exactly this type of attitude that needs to be addressed.

And thank you for incorrectly attributing a quote to me.

Uh, yeah. And thanks (to "L.") for misinterpreting the statement, also. Unless
it's "broad and ugly" to present most folks of a category as *not* going around
speaking hatred...

Banty

KIDS EARNING MONEY Dargentala General 0 August 1st 03 02:43 PM
Money money money... russell barr General 0 August 1st 03 01:23 PM
New Website for NC Single Parents Montie Roland General 1 July 22nd 03 09:01 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM
Tenn. Parents Sue School Over Cameras Poop Dogg General 12 July 4th 03 06:56 AM