Another reason to breastfeed

Old August 13th 03, 06:15 PM
Wendy Marsden

Default Another reason to breastfeed

Tragic Death of Bay State Infant
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
(AP, August 12, 2003) -

Investigators say a tragic mix-up may have led to the
arsenic poisoning death of a 4-month-old baby from
Middleton. The boy's 2-year-old sister also ingested
arsenic, but is expected to recover.

Authorities say the family was attending
a weekend barbecue at a home in
Nahant when the parents asked for
some spring water to mix the baby's
formula. Spokesman Steve O'Connell
of the Essex County District Attorney's
office says it was the owner of
the home, not the parents, who poured
the poisoned liquid. The arsenic was
stored in a jug similar to those
containing spring water that the home owner had
bottled himself. The boy and his sister,
who drank arsenic-laced water from a
cup, were hospitalized after they
became increasingly ill. The family has
not been identified. Nahant Police Chief
William Waters says the baby's death
appears to be a "tragic accident'' and
there is no reason to believe the host of the
cookout was trying to harm the children.
Old August 13th 03, 09:31 PM
newfy

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
Tragic Death of Bay State Infant
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
(AP, August 12, 2003) -

Investigators say a tragic mix-up may have led to the
arsenic poisoning death of a 4-month-old baby from
Middleton. The boy's 2-year-old sister also ingested
arsenic, but is expected to recover.

Isn't that story just horrifying?

Maybe I just don't know much about arsenic, but why would anyone have a jug
of it in their house?
--
JennP.
mom to matthew 10/11/00

Old August 14th 03, 09:54 PM
Ellen B.

The arsenic was in the water used to prepare the formula, not in the formula itself.
Old August 14th 03, 09:58 PM
Circe

"Ellen B." wrote in message
om...
The arsenic was in the water used to prepare the
formula, not in the formula itself.

Well, yes, but water is a necessary ingredient for the preparation of
powdered formula. In most cases, we can be reasonably sure that the water
used is safe, but it isn't *always* true. And certainly, had the child in
question been breastfed, he/she (can't remember the gender of the baby any
longer) would not have died from arsenic poisoning.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [17mo] mom)

"They walk with an unsteady, shambling gate." -- Article in the San Diego
Union Tribune

Old August 16th 03, 11:09 PM
A&G&K

"Circe" wrote in message
"Ellen B." wrote in message
om...
The arsenic was in the water used to prepare the
formula, not in the formula itself.

Well, yes, but water is a necessary ingredient for the preparation of
powdered formula. In most cases, we can be reasonably sure that the water
used is safe, but it isn't *always* true. And certainly, had the child in
question been breastfed, he/she (can't remember the gender of the baby any
longer) would not have died from arsenic poisoning.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [17mo] mom)
"Nobody died when Clinton lied." -- freeway sign

I agree - the water at my in-law's farm is less than fantastic even though
the drinking water is rainwater. I've always been glad that I didn't have
to feed that to DD when she was a tiny baby ...heck I didn't even like
bathing her in it (lots of "floaty bits"). Breastfeeding would certainly
have averted this tragedy.
Amanda