Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Old June 4th 04, 12:57 PM
Iuil

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

"Donna" wrote
Only my GP's receptionist (who really ought to have known better). She
insisted that I would be more comfortable in an empty office than in the
waiting room (3 other people, 2 men which I think was her problem). She
actually took my carseat and changing bag and carried them into the

office.

Personally, I would prefer the privacy of nursing in an empty office,

rather
than in the waiting room.

The seats in the waiting room were more comfortable and there was reading
material there. Plus it was more her attitude that I *would* be moving into
the office, whether I wanted to or not. The original offer of the office
should have been enough. Once I'd refused politely, she shouldn't have
pursued the issue and she certainly shouldn't have laid a finger on my
belongings. That was what I complained about to the GP, not the fact that
I'd been asked if I wanted privacy.

Jean

Old June 4th 04, 01:02 PM
Karen

Ericka Kammerer wrote in message ...
Sophie wrote:

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Fortunately, no, no one's ever been rude to me. I
think a few people have been vaguely embarrassed (not because
they saw anything--just embarrassed that anyone would do
such a crazy thing in principle), but most of the time
there's been no response or a positive response. I've
had people tell me they've encountered rude people, so
either I'm lucky or maybe I'm just intimidating--I dunno ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

I'll join the 'don't touch me' club. NO stranger has ever tried to
touch my belly when pregnant and I've been pregnant a lot :-) My
mother is the only person who has ever touched my belly without
invitation. No one has ever said anything nasty about breastfeeding
either and I nurse everywhere.
Old June 4th 04, 01:32 PM
Cheryl

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:21:20 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

Cheryl S. wrote:
Wait, two weeks ago at Julie's preschool, another mom saw me sit
down to nurse Jaden and said, "I miss nursing." I'm pretty sure
that's the first comment anyone's made to me while NIP.

I have actually had a fair number of conversations about this over the years
while NIP, particularly as my babies got into the toddler years.

I've been very surprised when talking about potentially weaning my
daughter (currently 22 months) by the number of people, including
those who didn't breastfeed for very long, who ask why on earth I
would want to do that now. Even those who can't or don't want to
breastfeed often remember their time fondly.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old June 4th 04, 01:51 PM
Nancy P

"melizabeth" wrote in message
I have a question for moms who NIP...and I am honestly asking this, so
please don't flame me, are you all using a blanket, or the sling while

NIP?

I've only used the sling once, as I'm just figuring it out. I don't use a
blanket, either. I wear a loose fitting top. I sort of hold the top over
the babies head, tent-like, while she's latching on. After that, the shirt
falls around (but not over) the babies head. The baby covers my belly, and
voila, there's no exposed skin. Also, you could wear a twinset, and the top
layer will cover any view from the side. Yeah, you can tell what I'm doing
if you look closely enough, but a blanket tells you the same thing (and
draws attention to it, IMO). As my first daughter got older, she started to
object to the shirt being near her face, and would pull it up, so things got
tricky and I all but stopped NIP if I could help it. But at that point she
was drinking cows milk and water from a cup.

Nancy

Old June 4th 04, 01:51 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Cathy Weeks wrote:

thought a two-and-a-half-year-old was shockingly old. She had heard
of such things, but never knew anyone who actually did it.

I think it's weird too, but it was your kid and if you didn't, that's
what matters.

I couldn't imagine myself nursing a little kid at that age, because in
my family the children are shockingly articulate at 2 1/2 and the idea
of nursing a child who can have conversations about it with you, and
remember sucking on your boob when they are adults, gives me the willies.

Old June 4th 04, 01:58 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

cara wrote:

I've nursed in public often, although discreetly, and never had a rude comment.
A few double take/longer than normal stares, but nothing major. My 4 year old
recentlyt announced loudly in the middle of the store 'mom, she (dd#2) wants
some BOOB!', which got a few amused stares, but thats the closest I've come to
an odd comment...

LOL! I'd laugh so hard! That is so cute.

Old June 4th 04, 02:03 PM
Sophie

"Tracey" wrote in message
m...

"Kari" wrote in message
Ya know, I'm almost waiting for a rude comment, just so I can say

something
rude back. Im such a beeotch sometimes

LOL, me too. I keep hoping someone will say something rude to me so that

can give them a flip comment, but it hasn't ever happened. I've had a few
evil eye looks, but never any direct negative comments. I have had a lot

of
thumbs up type responses from people though.
Tracey in CT

That's how I feel now about soon having a "large" family. I want someone to
say "gee you sure have your hands full" just so I can rip them a new one -
lol.

Old June 4th 04, 02:05 PM
Sophie

Yeah, I must have the no-belly-touching thing going too.
No stranger has *ever* touched my belly, and hardly any
relatives have either--even the ones who would have been
welcome to do so ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

I got my first unwanted belly touch!
I was talking to a woman I've known for 3 years. Her 5 yr old son "poked"
my stomach and said "what's in there?". His mom and I said "a baby" to
which he said "you're a big fat lady". SHE LAUGHED AND DIDN'T CORRECT
HIM!!! I was much more disgusted with her than him, for not saying anything
to him. Ugh!

Old June 4th 04, 02:08 PM
Sophie

FIL just avoids the subject entirely. He closes his eyes and falls
asleep if I feed T while he's in the room. ;-)

Jac

Lol!

Old June 4th 04, 02:09 PM

"Sophie" wrote in message ...
Mini-vent coming on -

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why does it bother me when
people say breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate" - and particularly
it's inappropriate in a **restaurant**??

Because you don't want to micro-manage the parenting of other adults
and it bothers you that other people do? :-)

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Nope. A few months ago I was nursing at a coffee shop and talking to
my mom, who noticed someone look, then look again, then roll her eyes.
That's it.

--
C, mama to nineteen month old nursling