Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

Old June 4th 04, 04:20 PM
Sophie

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

"JennP" wrote in message

"Sophie" wrote in message

Most women I see, use a blanket of some kind.

Interesting. Where you are it's so hot, I'm surprised. I could *never*

nurse
like that. I'd be sweating bullets. I rarely see that around here (New
England), but bf is extremely common, especially in my town for some

reason.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Yeah I'm sure it's not nice for the babies. Usually it's just a light
receiving blanket but still, I wouldn't want to eat under there - lol.

Old June 4th 04, 04:25 PM
Sophie

We used num-nums which worked well. I never called it boob at home either
though.

I'll have to ask my friends if they call it anything. I've noticed quite a
few people here seem to have a word or phrase for it.

Doesn't help with the head dive and face plant to the breast though :-)

Or
Luke, he apparently feels best if his hand can cup my breast - so

annoying.
I'm constantly moving his hand and he hasn't nursed in a year. If I'm
wearing a heavy sweatshirt I won't always realize it until I get a weird
look and then I notice my 3yo has his hand squarely planted on my breast

as
I merrily walk around the store.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

That might just be boys-in-training for later - Lewis does that to me - I
always carry him (he's light and it's easier than having to chase him) and
he'll have his hand on my boob. You just don't notice it - lol.

Old June 4th 04, 04:38 PM
Cheryl S.

"melizabeth" wrote in message
I have a question for moms who NIP...and I am
honestly asking this, so please don't flame me, are
you all using a blanket, or the sling while NIP?

No, I don't use a blanket or sling. I just wear shirts that are easily
pulled up, and of soft enough fabric to drape nicely around and over my
baby. So any part of me not covered by the baby, is covered by my
shirt. I think putting a blanket over yourself is much more
conspicuous, just because people do not normally sit around wearing a
blanket, but often do sit around holding a baby and without looking
closely, I'm sure that is all it looks like I am doing.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 9 months

Old June 4th 04, 04:48 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Mary Gordon wrote:

You need a code word! At our house, breastfeeding was called dee-dee
(we had a Filipina nanny who used that term with her own daughter and
it "stuck" at our place as well). That worked well, since when a kid
was begging for it out it public, or talking about it, it didn't sound
so bad (i.e. the miserable toddler yelling in the mall that he or she
wanted DEE DEE, or saying look Mommy, that baby is having some
dee-dee.

My sister always called them ninnies instead of boobs.

Old June 4th 04, 04:49 PM
Marie

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:25:04 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:
I'll have to ask my friends if they call it anything. I've noticed quite a
few people here seem to have a word or phrase for it.

My older daughter didn't call it anything, but my youngest calls it
"boof". No one knows what it means unless I tell them. It started out
as boob and she changed it to boof at around a year old.

That might just be boys-in-training for later - Lewis does that to me - I
always carry him (he's light and it's easier than having to chase him) and
he'll have his hand on my boob. You just don't notice it - lol.

My nephew wasn't breastfeed, and does feel women's breasts.
Marie
Old June 4th 04, 04:57 PM
Corrie

"Sophie" wrote in message ...

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

I have! Last summer my husband was picking out a rental tuxedo and
Sydney (7 months at the time) got fussy. I sat down in a chair, out of
the way, and began to nurse her. The store manager came over and asked
me if I would like to go in the back. I thought she was being nice and
said I was okay where I was. She then said sternly, "I would like you
to go in back." I asked, innocently, why? and she answered that she
had customers in the store (there was one other couple there shopping,
a young, hip-looking duo). I said that I wasn't doing anything wrong,
and she said "I didn't say you were doing anything wrong. I asked you
to go in the back." I said "no thank you," and continued to nurse, and
she left me alone. I was so angry I almost stormed out, but my picky
husband was in the middle of a fitting, and we were hot and tired and
so I let it go. I did write a letter to the company (after posting to
mkb about this and getting some great advice) but I never received an
answer or acknowledgement. GRR.

Other than that, I don't recall anything nasty. I've had a few other
store or restaurant people ask me if I wanted privacy, but nothing I
interpreted as rudeness, rather they seemed more concerned that *I*
was uncomfortable.

To answer some of the other questions in this thread - about cover-ups
- I usually don't use one as I think that I am pretty discreet,
despite having large breasts. I do own a sling and used it sometimes
when Sydney was little, especially when walking around - but if I'm
seated, I find it easier just to be free and clear of any blankets,
slings, etc.

And about extended nursing... I nursed Jake until he was 2 years, 9
months and would have kept going but it became very painful for me
during my pregnancy with Sydney. She is 16.5 months and is still
nursing a few times a day. I think Jamie and Chotii both had great
explanations of why nursing continues.

Corrie
Mom to Jake 12/30/99
Sydney 1/14/03
^i^ JM 6/9/97
^i^ 1/2002
Old June 4th 04, 05:04 PM
melizabeth

"Sophie" wrote in message
Yeah, I must have the no-belly-touching thing going too.
No stranger has *ever* touched my belly, and hardly any
relatives have either--even the ones who would have been
welcome to do so ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

I got my first unwanted belly touch!
I was talking to a woman I've known for 3 years. Her 5 yr old son "poked"
my stomach and said "what's in there?". His mom and I said "a baby" to
which he said "you're a big fat lady". SHE LAUGHED AND DIDN'T CORRECT
HIM!!! I was much more disgusted with her than him, for not saying

anything
to him. Ugh!

Wow, that was rude of her! I don't blame you one bit for being disgusted!

Old June 4th 04, 05:13 PM
melizabeth

thanks for answering the discretion and NIP question. Most women who I have
seen NIP have covered up with a blanket, had nursing shirts on, or covered
up with their t-shirts, like many of you have.

I think the reason why I did a double take with my friend was because she
didn't bother to cover up her breast.
--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
"Leslie" wrote in message
are you all using a blanket, or the sling while NIP?

Nope.

I used the blanket religiously with my first baby. It was always so hot,

and
it was so hard to get the blanket placed right--I needed help to do it,

while
she fussed--it seemed MORE conspicuous and attention getting to me than

not!

With number two I dropped the blanket within a few weeks and never looked

back.

I don't own any nursing clothes. They are too expensive and never really
worked well for me anyway. What I have is untucked relatively loose

shirts
that I just pull up from the bottom.

In no way is any of this indiscreet. No one ever sees a nipple, and

rarely any
skin at all when I nurse this way.

Leslie

Old June 4th 04, 05:22 PM
Denise Anderson

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Tracey" wrote in message
m...

"Kari" wrote in message
Ya know, I'm almost waiting for a rude comment, just so I can say

something
rude back. Im such a beeotch sometimes

LOL, me too. I keep hoping someone will say something rude to me so

that
can give them a flip comment, but it hasn't ever happened. I've had a

few
evil eye looks, but never any direct negative comments. I have had a

lot
of
thumbs up type responses from people though.
Tracey in CT

That's how I feel now about soon having a "large" family. I want someone

say "gee you sure have your hands full" just so I can rip them a new one -
lol.

Come visit me.. people tell me that all the time. I can't freaking stand
it. That and the "is this your last one?" Like its anyone's business. I
need to find something creative to say to the next person that tells me I
have my hands full or the next person that says, "Gee, no boys?"

Denise

Old June 4th 04, 05:36 PM
Bóliath

Leslie wrote: