School organization -- HELP!

Old September 7th 03, 10:38 PM
multimom4

Default School organization -- HELP!

How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each kid
needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and it
was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary" stuff
on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.

Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and one
extra for ???. I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
render them obsolete?

Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.

Shirley????? Anyone?????

--
Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)

Old September 8th 03, 01:28 AM
Kender

I can help with the calendar part. I would go crazy without one of those big
desk blotter calendars. I hang it up on the wall. It measures 2'x3' and has
plenty of room for writing. You can get them anywhere for about $5. Don't do
the bulletin board, just transfer dates when you can to the calendar. Make a
pile for dates in magazine/paper sorter below.

For organization of papers how about one those magazine/paper sorter type
racks for the wall. They have different sections at angles so you can slide
papers right in. I am thinking about that one. I saw an old metal one at a
garage sale for $5 once and am kicking myself now.

I look at their work, give them praise and then recycle it. I am heartless.
We have separate teachers this year too. More organization tips to come
later.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

et...

Old September 8th 03, 03:30 AM
Marie

"multimom4" wrote in message
et...
How do you organize the school papers and timetables so you don't lose
stuff, and so you know what goes back to whom and when and what day each

kid
needs to do what? Last (four) years the three were all in one class and

it
was no hassle -- snack, PE, blah blah all on same schedule, I just used my
wall calendar. Now I have to organize four separate sets of papers,
remember four separate schedules ... and I *HATE* having "unnecessary"

stuff
on the counters (ha ha -- looks around despairingly for a small chink of
countertop poking thru and does not find same). The wall calendar is WAY
too small for all this and homework hasn't even started yet.

As Kender says, get a desk blotter calendar. Then, get different colour
pens--one colour for each person in the family and one more for group things
(you may have to use fine-tip markers or pencil crayons to get enough
colours).

Yesterday, I bought a solidly built black box for hanging folders and put
one for each child in it plus one for group stuff (sport/hobby/etc) and

one
extra for ???.

This is a good idea--you may want to look for box folders (hanging folders
that are about 1" wide at the bottom) if you find you have a lot of stuff.

I am contemplating re-installing on the kitchen wall the
corkboard that was banished during the remodel -- I think I might need two
to be honest. Any clever tricks to share to use this stuff wisely or to
render them obsolete?

Also: how to keep the stuff the kids bring home straight when it comes in
the door, so I know which one brought which unnamed paper (they won't be
able to tell me accurately, so don't suggest just *asking* them!!) They
won't be able to file them accurately either, by the way.

My friend with school age kids got stacking crates (the kind you can stack
to make cubbyhole style shelves) beside where the coats hang. Kids walk in
door, take off boots/shoes, put backpacks into their cubbyhole, hang up
coat. Then my friend works with each child in turn, emptying backpack,
organizing papers, etc. When homework is done, it goes *right* back into
backpack and backpack goes into child's cubbyhole. Next morning, everything
is ready for a quick exit at the start of the day. It took some training to
get the kids to be consistent, but she finds the system works very well.

Marie

Shirley????? Anyone?????

--
Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)

Old September 8th 03, 11:41 AM
shirley

Janet, I have about 5 minute before running off to work out BUT, I never let
the kids take things out of backpacks until I AM READY. It's a cardinal
rule - and believe it or not by third grade you will have to beg the kids to
find their hidden backpacks to empty them. Each child gives me the backpack
folders - teachers are great about "folders", there is always one for take
home and homework. If there is a lot of homework, DH (if he's not working
that night), takes one and I take the other, reading, math, DOL, etc., the
papers and homework sheet gets signed by whom ever is doing it with the twin
and returned immediately to the backpack to return to school the next day.
If you don't its, late out the door for the "I can't find...". Anyhow, the
items that come home for FYI or returned tests, work, if you are going to
keep them for future needs or scapbook, the scrapbook items are put in
plastic boxes upstairs immediately if I can and the newsletters or notes to
remember field trips, special days, picture days go on a bulletin board, the
most recent thing that is coming up on top. As the trip, occasion happens
it gets thrown or kept in the scapbook box. Lunch menus are on the refridg
with magnets (hate this but it works). Lunches get made in the AM if needed
(hot lunch is a yuck), and when boxes returned at night stored on the shelf
for the next day's use. Activity schedules do go on a calendar clearly
marked and yes, you need a good size one though rarely do activities happen
on the same day for the same child, Chris has Tai Kuan on Wednesdays,
Kathleen dance on Saturday, Drama on Mondays after school and Chris
Basketball on Thursday, so you don't need that much room. The twins are
being separated into two different schools so I may be eating my words and
having to come up with another system but we'll see. It gets easier.

Good luck
Shirley

et...

Old September 8th 03, 07:24 PM
multimom4

Well, it doesn't have to be that bad ALL the time -- in the spring we had:

EHC tae kwon do M
H ballet Tu
EHC tae kwon do W
EHC swimming Sat.

Now *that* was a handful. But right now it's just:
H ballet Tu
EHC art W

We wound everything else down until I can get my act together on this school
thing -- they did not want to do TKDo any more and can all now swim with
confidence (still hooraying about that) so I think a few months out of the
pool won't hurt before we start working on their stroke style again.

Right now I'm looking at a Sat. gym class for E and C to balance H's ballet,
but no decision yet on that. Have to weigh it against the town soccer and
basketball opportunities -- and everything else that came home in those
THICK packets from school last week. Plus still very worried how we are
going to get homework done with Holly *into* everything and seemingly no
time after school before suddenly it's bedtime ... homework starts in about
two weeks per the teachers.

Shirley: what do you do if one finishes homework before the other (like if
one teacher gives a lot more every day?). A grown twin I know said her Mom
made the other kid stay at the table and read, write or whatever academic
stuff they wanted so that it would be "fair", and I'm thinking of trying
that -- thoughts?

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)