Soon to be Foster parents

Old November 19th 03, 12:13 AM
Vicki B.

Default Soon to be Foster parents

Hubby and I just signed off on our HS last week and are just now waiting for
the head of the program to approve us. Is there anyone here who is actually
doing foster care?

Vicki

Old November 19th 03, 01:39 AM
olfart

"Vicki B." wrote in message
et...
Hubby and I just signed off on our HS last week and are just now waiting

for
the head of the program to approve us. Is there anyone here who is

actually
doing foster care?

Vicki

Yes- Wife and I have fostered for over 4 years. There is alot more to it
than first meets the eye, but it has been a rewarding experience.
Unfortunately this newsgroup is not a good source for information on
fostering. The handful of posters who "hang out" here appear to have little
or no experience in actual fostering and most posts are concerned with
playing up negative aspects of the program. Very little info here is helpful
or constructive.
Since you are obviously interested in learning more about fostering - the
*good* and the *not so good* I might suggest that you check out
http://www.fosterparents.com/
There is alot of good info there and also many links to other sites that you
might find interesting and helpful. Good Luck and God Bless.

Old November 19th 03, 01:14 PM
Fern5827

Default Soon to be Foster parents-CPS needs reform

Both Bobb and Wex on this NG were fosters. Both were turned off by CPS'
absurdities and illegalities.

Vicki asked:

Subject: Soon to be Foster parents

Old November 19th 03, 05:21 PM
Ron

"Vicki B." wrote in message
et...
Hubby and I just signed off on our HS last week and are just now waiting

for
the head of the program to approve us. Is there anyone here who is

actually
doing foster care?

Vicki

Hi ya Vicki,

The name is Ron, and I have been a foster parent for about 13 years. More
than 220 kids in that time. I currently have 2 boys and 1 girl in care.

Congratulations on your choice of becomming a foster parent, we need more of
them in this country. Please feel free to email with questions or concerns,
or just to say Hi.

Some good resources are below.

Ron

http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/
http://www.fosterparents.com
http://www.attach-bond.com/
http://www.parenting.org/

Old November 22nd 03, 02:34 PM
Simons Mom

Vicki I am a foster parent have been for over a year. Feel free to email
meoff list if you like
We have 3 placements right now...a 15 year old girl a 17 year old boy
and a 2 year old boy
Shannon

Old November 23rd 03, 04:49 PM
Gail Albrechtson

Hi Vicki,

Congratulations on becoming a foster parent! I read with interest an article
about how foster parents are often criticized, misunderstood, over-stressed
and under-appreciated. More often than not, the only ones that make the
news are the ones who have done something wrong… such as abusing children in
their homes. As I continued to read the article, I decided that perhaps my
book could help change the negative images portrayed of foster parents and
foster care in general, hence, the reason for this letter.

Having been a young, single mom who was unable to take care of my infant,
she was placed in foster care. I have written a book, titled “Natural
Harmony: Jade’s Story,” which talks about our separation and eventual
reunion. My daughter’s foster parents played a large and important role in
our lives. In fact, if it weren’t for the support of such wonderful foster
parents, I likely would have never been reunited with my daughter. The story
presents foster parenting in a much truer light than what is often depicted
by society.

I’ve included below a direct link to the publisher’s website. I’d like to
mention that the excerpts on the webpage do not refer to foster care,
however, throughout the story, I’ve included a strong message about the
importance of foster parenting.

Gail

Web link to book:

www.trafford.com/robots/03-0761.html

et...

Old November 25th 03, 10:54 PM
dickinson

Vicki B. wrote:
Hubby and I just signed off on our HS last week and are just now
waiting for the head of the program to approve us. Is there anyone
here who is actually doing foster care?

Vicki

Hi Vicky,

Congrats. Yes I believe there are a few lurkers who are actually foster
carers, although the group rends to get swamped by "political stuff" and
everyday caring issues are few and far between. Hope things go ok for
you.

Old November 25th 03, 10:56 PM
dickinson

Simons Mom wrote:
Vicki I am a foster parent have been for over a year. Feel free to
email meoff list if you like
We have 3 placements right now...a 15 year old girl a 17 year old boy
and a 2 year old boy
Shannon

Shannon, are the boy and girl related? here in Queensland, Oz they don't
allow fostering in the same home of non-related opposite sexes.

Old November 27th 03, 05:41 AM
Simons Mom

No they arent related. It does depend on the child and the issues but
here in the US they do allow different sex placements.

Shannon
Wife to Rick
FM to
W 15 years old