Does your child drink juice?

Old July 24th 05, 03:15 AM
Carol Ann

Default Does your child drink juice?

Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

How do you get your child to consume milk?

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

~Carol Ann
Old July 24th 05, 03:25 AM
Nan

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 02:15:09 GMT, "Carol Ann"
wrote:

Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

The 5 yo does, but the 1 yo doesn't unless she's constipated.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

From her bottle or sippy

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

I don't buy it, but I think i'd allow it as a rare treat. I'd
probably be likely to give her iced tea instead of soda, though.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

:-)

Nan
Old July 24th 05, 03:28 AM
Caledonia

Carol Ann wrote:
Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

Apple cider (Golden Russet), during the fall. About a glass or two a
day for both daughters. Otherwise juice is pretty rare -- although we
did have to get inventive when confronted with a case of grapefruit
we'd purchased from the local Lion's club last winter. We eat a fair
deal of fruit, and rarely have juice around.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

For DD1(6), she chooses milk (1%) happily when offered a choice of milk
or water. That's the whole spectrum of choice here for children in my
house. DD2 (2.5) drinks milk or water with equal frequency, but would
probably prefer to nurse instead (*not* an option we offer with meals).
For school lunches, DD1 either buys milk or takes a fluroidated water
bottle (those mini-bottles) or takes milk in a reusable plastic
container.

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

I don't drink soda, so I don't buy it. I do buy tonic water for gin and
tonics in the summer, but that's not for the kids. DH and I consume
ungodly quantities of coffee, and the sporadic bottle of wine with
dinner -- but for the kids we offer milk, seltzer, or plain tap (well)
water. And cider, in season, but it's seasonal. Again, though, we
always have fruit around for them to eat, so I'm not really concerned
they're missing anything.

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

No problem -- I always find it interesting to learn about what everyone
else is doing

Caledonia

Old July 24th 05, 03:35 AM
Emily

The standard choies at our house a milk or water.
Juice is an occasional treat (though I think it's
offered semi-regularly at daycare). Sometimes we'll
get a bottle of fresh-squeezed orange juice to go
with breakfast. Soda is not something we keep in the
house, but I think we started allowing DS to try it
as a special treat when we're at parties or whatever
from about 2yo. He's not terribly fond of carbonated
drinks, so didn't really get into it. I'd rather
give him the occasional taste of regular (sugar-sweetened)
soda than something with an artificial sweetener.
My main concerns with his diet are 1) a healthy balance
for now and 2) establishing healthy habits for later.
So, since he only gets soda occasionally, I'm really
more concerned about setting up expectations that
sweet drinks are a regular thing than about the calories
in the drink itself.

It's never been difficult to get DS to drink milk.
He's a dairy fiend (milk, cheese, cream cheese,
ice cream if he can get it, yogurt). He usually picks
milk in the "milk or water" choice. We keep 1% or
2% milk around for him, and I've not seen him notice
a difference between the two. If he didn't like
milk and always chose water, I'd look to other ways
to get the protein and calcium provided by milk into
his diet.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old July 24th 05, 04:12 AM
Jamie Clark

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

How do you get your child to consume milk?

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions.

~Carol Ann

Taylor still is heavily into milk and juice. I always water the juice down,
so an 8 ounce serving is usually about 5-6 ounces of juice and 2-3 ounces of
water. She'll drink 3-4 sippy cups per day of juice, and another 3-4 sippy
cups a day of milk. She'd skip food all together and drink milk for all her
meals if I let her.

Diet soda for you or Morgan? : ) I do diet soda -- Pepsi One. I use Equal
or Splenda in my morning coffee. I have let Taylor have sips of my diet
raspberry Snapple iced tea. She liked it. I wouldn't let her drink it on a
regular basis, but a few tablespoons here and there won't hurt.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old July 24th 05, 05:26 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

Occasionally, maybe a couple ounces some days.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

Add chocolate ;-) My first two were milk fiends,
but #3 didn't really take to milk all that much. Mostly,
I don't really care (she mostly drinks water) as she has
plenty other sources of calcium, protein, and fat. If I
feel like she hasn't gotten enough of that sort of thing
and I want her to get some, then making some chocolate
milk will typically do the trick (e.g., if she doesn't
seem to want to eat and I know she's going to wake up
starving in the middle of the night). It used to take more
chocolate, but now just a little will do the trick.

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

I wouldn't give it except as an occasional
treat. Better that their main beverage be water.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 24th 05, 07:41 AM
Plissken

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

Yes but only a cup every 4 days or so.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

Add about a tablespoon of tea into it tell her it's tea and she will drink
it. Or add a bit of Ovaltine and tell her it's chocolate milk )

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

would not give my child soda at all diet or not. But a tablespoon of tea in
a 1/2 cup or more of milk is okay. Gets her to drink her milk.

Old July 24th 05, 08:24 AM
Mum of Two

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

No, but when she does I'll dilute it 10 parts water to 1 juice. I haven't
stopped her having it, we just haven't bought any lately.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

She doesn't have it except in cereal, I only offer water.

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

I think I'd sooner give my child sweetened soda as an occasional treat, than
one with Splenda! Isn't that the sweetener they make by adding chlorine to
sugar to make it so many times sweeter? Personally, I wouldn't give
artificial sweeteners to children at all, I'd rather let them have refined
sugar once in a blue moon and brush their teeth afterwards.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old July 24th 05, 10:27 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Carol Ann writes:

[Colin is 20 months old]

Does your child drink juice?

Yes.

If so, how much?

An inch (of "multivitamin juice") in a small glass every morning as part of
the breakfast ritual. Apart from that, juice is a special occasion grown-up
treat - if we're all out at a cafe or something, Colin gets orange juice.
In this case it's undiluted and in an open cup, maybe with a straw.

How do you get your child to consume milk?

I breastfeed :-) I've made no efforts to get him to drink cow's milk, if
that's what you mean. At nursery he gets cow's milk with afternoon snack.
At home he gets cow's milk on cereal, but otherwise I don't offer it. He
drinks lots of water.

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

For me, this is in the category of things he can have one small sip of to
taste if he asks, but no more. (In fact practically all drinks other than
water, milk and juice as above are in this category. Coffee, tea, beer,
wine, G&T ... I probably wouldn't let him sip my neat cask-strength whisky
but that's for after he's in bed anyway so the question hasn't arisen :-)

I think it's the acidity that would stop me letting him drink it by the
glassful. I wouldn't myself worry about small quantities of Splenda, but
others would I know.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old July 24th 05, 11:29 AM
Jenrose

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Does your child drink juice? If so, how much?

DD1: Yes, but only when it's around (but she's 12, so it doesn't count.)
DD2: Only boobie juice. And who knows how much...lol!

How do you get your child to consume milk?

DD1: I don't. She's allergic.
DD2: I stick the boob in her mouth.

Diet soda with Splenda and no caffeine, a no-no?

DD1: No diet, no caffeine, period. Soda is fine, in moderation.
DD2: She's 4 months old.

Jenrose