Hey Everyone

Old May 7th 04, 11:27 AM
Carla

Default Hey Everyone

I wrote you all in September asking for advice about my daughter and a
grade teacher who implied my daughter my have learning problems
with-in the first couple of weeks of school. I asked your advice, and
took the advice that some gave about getting her out of that class.
Well, I did, and It was not an easy task. She was removed from his
class some 3 weeks letter, several phone calls, letters and meetings.
In anycase, she came out of second term with 5 A's and her lowest mark
being B-. The A's were in important categories too. Reading and
Writting, science and 2 of the 3 arts. Apparently in her new class she
had no such problems at all. I thank you guys for your kind support
and I need it again.

Now I have a new question. She came home very upset yesterday. She
feels like nobody likes her and she said "Mom, I think I'm a nice
person, why don't I have any friends"? How can I help her with the
peer pressure? It was so sad, she said to me, "how can I change myself
so I'll have some friends"? Her looks are fine, and she is neat and
tidy. To me she is nice enough, (but I am her mom) What advice can I
give this little punkin who is 8 to help her cope through this very
difficult time. How can I help her to overcome the insecurity and
build her confidence. I'm afraid, I have been so bad about things at
home. She's asked me to play games and look at stuff she has done, and
I'v put things off. I will work harder to pay more attention, I did
not realize what she was going through. It breaks my heart to see her
so down and I want to help in the most constructive successful way
possible.

Thanks,

Carla
Old May 7th 04, 01:09 PM
Tiffany

"Carla" wrote in message
om...
I wrote you all in September asking for advice about my daughter and a
grade teacher who implied my daughter my have learning problems
with-in the first couple of weeks of school. I asked your advice, and
took the advice that some gave about getting her out of that class.
Well, I did, and It was not an easy task. She was removed from his
class some 3 weeks letter, several phone calls, letters and meetings.
In anycase, she came out of second term with 5 A's and her lowest mark
being B-. The A's were in important categories too. Reading and
Writting, science and 2 of the 3 arts. Apparently in her new class she
had no such problems at all. I thank you guys for your kind support
and I need it again.

Good for her. Is her new teacher a women?

[...]

Poor kid...... I have no idea about that. My daughter has always had a
billion friends. I will let others touch this subject.

Old May 7th 04, 01:38 PM
Joelle

Apparently in her new class she
had no such problems at all. I thank you guys for your kind support
and I need it again.

That's great that worked out.

Now - get used to the ups and downs and "nobody likes me" mess of being a girl
- and it gets worse as an adolescent. - remember ?

I tell my kids, if you want a friend, be a friend. For the most part, it's best
to stay out of it and jsut tell her how wonderful she is as she navagates this.
Make sure she's not just aiming for the "popular" girls and overlooking other
less sought after girls who might want a friend. Suggest she have a party.
Everyone enjoys a party.

But likely this is something she has to get through on her own. Can't fix it
as easily as putting her in a different class. Good luck, the problems coming
are more like this and less like the easily solved ones.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old May 7th 04, 01:45 PM
Heywood Floyd

"Carla" wrote in message
om...
[...]

What I have done is to point out to my kids how few =real= friends =I=
have and tell them that just because they are not the most popular kid is no
reason to get upset. Stress that =real= friends are worth 20 fake friends.
If there is nothing wrong with her, more than likely there =is= something
wrong with the people in her class. My oldest was a wonderful child and 98%
of the kids in his school couldn't stand him. The other 2% were his buddies
and they were inseparable.
You are right on the money with spending more time with her too. That
goes a loooong way. Since my wife died, my youngest boy, 10, wants to spend
=hours= with me every day. "Quality time" is a nice concept for =parenting=,
but it doesn't substitute for quantity. Friends are different. It's not the
quantity, but the quality of friends that counts!
Bob
--
"Revenge is so popular because, while it is
sweet, it is not fattening." - Alfred Hitchcock

Old May 12th 04, 12:37 PM
Carla

"Tiffany" wrote in message ...
"Carla" wrote in message
om...

Good for her. Is her new teacher a women?

Yes, her new teacher is a woman. I don't think it's a gender thing
though. She does well in other classes that men teach, and in her
extra c programs she has no difficulties.

Carla

Old May 12th 04, 12:45 PM
Carla

"Heywood Floyd" wrote in message link.net...
"Carla" wrote in message
om...

What I have done is to point out to my kids how few =real= friends =I=
have and tell them that just because they are not the most popular kid is no
reason to get upset. Stress that =real= friends are worth 20 fake friends.

That is such a true statement. I suppose she will learn that with more
life experiences.

If there is nothing wrong with her, more than likely there =is= something
wrong with the people in her class.

No, they are in similar positions. It's grade 2. Everyone is in it for
themselves. All the girls want to be the prettiest (can you believe it
- grade 2) and they all want the most friends, and when one or more
kids get left out, they get (attention seeking) or down.

My oldest was a wonderful child and 98%
of the kids in his school couldn't stand him. The other 2% were his buddies
and they were inseparable.
You are right on the money with spending more time with her too. That
goes a loooong way. Since my wife died, my youngest boy, 10, wants to spend
=hours= with me every day. "Quality time" is a nice concept for =parenting=,
but it doesn't substitute for quantity. Friends are different. It's not the
quantity, but the quality of friends that counts

Hey, I'm real sorry about your wife, you sound like a fantastic
parent. I'm working on it. I have a hard time spending hours at a time
(of quality time) I get ADD after a few games of disney chess, or
yahtzee.... etc. but I am trying to stay interested! She has all my
love and I am working on the demo part.

Take Care Bob!

Bob