What I Saw in Target Today

Old September 8th 03, 11:04 PM
Mogget

Default What I Saw in Target Today

In message , Emily
Roysdon writes

Must be something in the air. Just the other day at the mall, I saw
two women walking around in two different stores obviously nursing
their newborns (no slings), and I wanted to say something to them,
because it's so seldom you see anyone nursing.

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears
Old September 9th 03, 01:22 AM
HollyLewis

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

You just...do it. :-) How old is your baby? I couldn't manage without all
the pillows and so on until DS was 3 months old, but after that, he got enough
control over his own head to stay latched on when he wanted to, I'd figured out
how to hold him in a cradle position, and my incision had healed enough that I
could go from sitting to standing while carrying him. Combine those things and
voila, you're nursing standing up. Once you're standing, walking isn't so
hard.

It's easier with a sling, even though it adds another layer of stuff to learn
how to manage, because it frees up the arm that otherwise is needed to support
the baby's butt.

I can't do it any more, of course. The kid weighs a ton and is considerably
longer than my arm. ;-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old September 9th 03, 01:51 AM
Marie

Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

When I was sitting down nursing, I just stood up, holding the baby in
the same position. I never needed any pillows or props (though it was
more comfortable to do so). I never had a problem with walking and
nursing, and from the very first baby on my first day home I was
walking and nursing and using my free hand to do other things. (I was
living with my parents at the time and was still required to do some
housework for living there)
Have you tried standing up after latching your baby on? or stand with
your shirt/bra off, holding the baby in a cradle hold (once you can do
that then you can practice positioning your shirt/bra...and ime a
regular bra is easier than a nusring bra b/c I can just flop my breast
in and out of it instead of having to work the latches one-handed). If
you can, have someone help you if anything needs holding up until you
get the hang of it.
When my nephew was born, I babysat him alot, and I learned to hold him
and bottle-feed him wiht one arm and have one arm free! I can't even
imagine how I did it anymore but I did )
Marie
Old September 9th 03, 02:03 PM
K.B.

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Chookie wrote:
In article , Dawn Lawson

wrote:

Certainly slang will be picked up no matter what, but if the child grows
up KNOWING that there are penises, vaginas,breasts, etc etc, they'll be
less squicked out later about stuff like menstuation, etc. imo.

While we tend to use the proper words (I use "boob" only with my peers),

I am
afraid that DS doesn't know the word "navel". If you are correct he

will be
worried about belly button lint!

SURELY you meant to type navel accumulation of detritus?? ;-)

I am of course intending the interpretation that genitalia are sometimes
sort of "overlooked on purpose" when discussing body parts, and are more
likely to be given cutesy names like "wee-wee" or "ya-ya" or "peach"
(yes, I did know a young girl who used that term.... :-P ).

i'm not making myself too clear. Basically I disagree with the use of
"baby names" as the primary method of adults identifying objects,
including body parts, in conversation with small children. Using such
names for body parts seems to imply that they are not worthy of proper
naming unlike things like feet, ears, hands, etc, which we offer proper
names for freely.

God forbid I say vagina or nipple to my 11 year old. She starts freaking
out. She will actually cry and yell at me that I'm sick. I taught her those
words since she was 3 so it's not new. But she's a different story. She also
said I was sick for nursing. She has other issues.
Kris

Old September 9th 03, 02:15 PM
K.B.

"H
Never heard chi chi for pacifier! I don't even know how to pronounce it.

--Helen

For some reason the very first child in our family called it that and it
stuck with all of us when we were all babies. Now we are all adults and we
still call it that and so do our children. It's something that stuck. I
recently read that it meant tit and I thought that was a neat coinsidence.
We also called our vagina parts a pishy when we were little. It was a much
nicer name for it. We do know the proper terms as adults so we haven't been
ruined in any way. Everyone grew up fine and we all know what parts are
what. Though my Grandmother still calls it a pishy.
Kris

Old September 9th 03, 02:28 PM
K.B.

You have never said to your child "Do you have to go pee pee?" or "It's time
for night nights."? I'm talking little 2 and 3 year olds. Not 5 or older. I
think my 4 month old doesn't care what I refer to my breasts as. If he
decides to still be nursing and starts speaking I will call it mommies milk,
snack, drink, eat for when he wants to eat. I'm not going to say "do you
want my boob?" If my son has a problem urinating I would tell the Dr. he has
a penis or urinating problem and so for my daughter with the proper terms.
All I know is my kids called there parts with simpler words at first and
they all know (ages3,6 and 11) what there parts are supposed to be called. I
let them say whatever they are comfortable with. I definitely can't force my
11 year old to say she has a vagina or breast. She refuses. I want her to be
comfortable speaking about herself to me. She was able to tell me she got
her period because I try not to make her uncomfortable.
Kris
"Clisby" wrote in message

K.B. wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message

In article ,
OSPAM (Naomi Pardue) wrote:

(Sorry, but this is a real peeve of mine... why must people refer to

them as

'boobs' and 'tits', rather than 'breasts?' Doesn't exactly help with

the
acceptance factor...)

Dunno about your part of the world, but here, we all have boobs. We

only

have

breasts at the doctor's.

It's called 'Mum-Mum-milk' by the consumer at our house, and he thinks

the
vending machines are called 'Mum-Mums'.

I will agree with you that 'tit' is very unattractive, but 'boob' has a

nice

rounded sort of look and sound...

I think Booby is fine. I can't imagine a child saying "I want your

tit".
People would definitely stare. All my kids call it a booby or bubby to

the
baby. It's just like saying poopy, or pee pee for penis, or chi chi for
pacifier, or nuny for night night. The are all more appropriate for

kids.
Kris

I don't think Naomi or Chookie was advocating teaching your child to
say, "I want your tit" either. How about "I want to nurse" or "I want
milk"?

And I wouldn't be teaching my children to say pee pee for penis, or chi
chi for pacifier, or nuny for night night. I'd say penis, pacifier,
and good night.

Clisby

Old September 9th 03, 02:32 PM
K.B.

Default Semantics and spelling [was: What I Saw in Target Today]

We are all only human. You all definitely have to lighten up. Now you are
nit picking.
Kris
"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
k...
"kristi" wrote in message
om...
All of these mentioned already bother me (maybe my nazi is trying to
get out) but also: "here, here!" used for "hear, hear".

You feel like replying with "where, where?", don't you?

What's worse is that it causes me to lose respect for the folks making
these errors (unless I know they are not native English speakers, then
I cut them more slack).

Whew - that's a relief!

Tine, Denmark

Old September 9th 03, 08:14 PM
iphigenia

K.B. wrote:
We are all only human. You all definitely have to lighten up. Now you
are nit picking.

No, we're venting. Some of us feel it's not too much to ask for people to
demonstrate some fluency in their native language.

Furthermore, we don't *have* to do anything; last time I checked, we had not
yet appointed an m.k.b. lightness moderator.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 9th 03, 08:28 PM
Lucy

"kristi" wrote in message
om...
What's worse is that it causes me to lose respect for the folks making
these errors (unless I know they are not native English speakers, then
I cut them more slack).

I've been in the US for eight years now and there are still a lot of
grammatical and spelling things that get on my nerves, even though they are
correct in US English. It makes it all the more frustrating for me that I
can't correct people on them. For example, in UK English, practise is a
verb, practice is a noun; in the US, both the noun and the verb are
apparently practice. It looks so wrong to me!

Lucy

Old September 10th 03, 01:35 PM
Mogget

In message , HollyLewis
writes
Please tell me how you can nurse standing up, walking around etc? I
still can't do it except sitting in my custom-built nest of pillows!
Got any links please?
--
Mogget.... all ears

You just...do it. :-) How old is your baby?

She's 8 months. Only 16 lbs, but tall & strong.

I couldn't manage without all
the pillows and so on until DS was 3 months old, but after that, he got enough
control over his own head to stay latched on when he wanted to, I'd figured out
how to hold him in a cradle position, and my incision had healed enough that I
could go from sitting to standing while carrying him. Combine those things and
voila, you're nursing standing up. Once you're standing, walking isn't so
hard.

Just trying to picture this.... so, if she's on the left breast, then
she's being supported by the left arm, with her head round about the
left elbow? Her body is not tucked under my arm, but across mine, with
her feet nearer my right armpit?

If that's it, then I don't think I'll ever manage it; I think my breasts
are just the wrong shape to get a latch like that. Thanks anyway.
--
Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

is today the day? R.Sitter Pregnancy 8 March 16th 04 11:07 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
RECALL: Target Multicolored Sidewalk Chalk DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 November 13th 03 11:11 PM
due today!!! Shannon Pregnancy 1 September 15th 03 12:24 PM
40 weeks today Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 11:49 PM