gift suggestions

Old December 3rd 03, 11:33 PM
P. Tierney

Default gift suggestions

I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

P. Tierney

Old December 4th 03, 01:25 AM
cara

"P. Tierney" wrote:

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

P. Tierney

My dd has always enjoyed the 'Eyewitness' series of books, not sure if
that is DK or not. We usually get them from the library, but they're
great. I think I saw a set at Costco the other day...

cara

Old December 4th 03, 02:12 AM
Laura Faussone

"P. Tierney" wrote:

I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

We have several Little People toys, and the kids play with all of them
(farm, school bus, plane, boat) There's one I've seen at the store that
looks interesting, a Noah's Ark that you can get extra pairs of animals
for.

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

My 4yo has an easel and likes to use it, but we don't have room to keep
it set up, so mostly she uses the table.

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

Laura

Old December 4th 03, 03:01 AM
Carole MacDonald

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

Alex (28 months) has several sets that he loves: Animal Sounds Farm, Animal
Sounds Zoo, and the Zoo train. He also has the dump truck, but doesn't play
with that much. Grandpa is getting him the Discovery Airport and Crane &
Quarry sets for Christmas.

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

We really like DK (Dorling Kindersley) books, both for Alex and for
ourselves. They have really good pictures. We only have the board books,
but Alex loves them and can name every single picture in the 3 books he has.
If you're looking for more than just pictures and titles, you might take a
look at the "Level 1" DK books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg..._1_c_1_1/103-6
951108-5461454.

P. Tierney

Old December 4th 03, 06:16 AM
Nic

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

I would probley go the table as it can be used for more things than a easel.
My dd tires of easels pretty quick but never tires of having tea parties,
building blocks, pretend shopping etc on her table.

Nic

Old December 4th 03, 03:52 PM
Karen

"P. Tierney" wrote in message news:gxtzb.413162$Fm2.419075@attbi_s04...
I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

We have the farm, the garage and the house. All have held up for years
just fine and are played with by everyone 6 and down.

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

I don't have an easel so no help there.

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

DK books are excellent-wonderful pictures, bright colors, interesting
text. Usborne books are another quality brand. If you don't know
anyone who sells them I know a few people with online sites.

Karen
Old December 4th 03, 06:54 PM
LisaBell

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:33:48 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

DD loves to paint and we bought her an easel for her 4th birthday. She
wasn't interested and only used it once because I begged her to give
it a try. Eventually put it in the shed, where it remains to this day.
I'm planning to pull it out again this year and give it another try.

--Lisabell

Old December 5th 03, 05:44 AM
Sarajoyo

"P. Tierney" wrote in message news:gxtzb.413162$Fm2.419075@attbi_s04...
I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

We have a bunch of the LP toys, and we *love* them! The zoo set is
very cute, as are the trains. DD is currently in love with the
nativity set, and the Noah's Ark set (with 10 pairs of animals, plus
Noah and his wife) is a huge hit too. My DD (21 months) is almost the
same age as yours, IIRC; when people asked for gift ideas for her for
Christmas this year, I suggested the garage (because she's into
pushing cars around) or the farm set. The dollhouse might be another
good option, especially if your DD is into babies, but I'm not wild
about the current model of dollhouse. From the pictures, it seemed
like there were more "sculpted-in" pieces of furniture, rather than
furniture you can move around yourself, and Mom has a bottle glued to
her hand (which bugs me).

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

We found some books at our local library that have really gorgeous
pictures about animals from the National Zoo in Washington, and DD
really liked them. (We also live near the Zoo and have been there, so
that was kind of neat too.) They're board books, but I think they'd
be a hit for several years to come. Here's the link to the company:
http://www.soundprints.com/spstore/C...ID=11&CATID=58.
They have several other Smithsonian collections too.

-Sara
Mommy to a 21-month-old (ack! getting so big!) Daughter
Old December 5th 03, 05:55 PM
Irene

(Sarajoyo) wrote in message . com...
"P. Tierney" wrote in message news:gxtzb.413162$Fm2.419075@attbi_s04...
I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

(snip) The dollhouse might be another
good option, especially if your DD is into babies, but I'm not wild
about the current model of dollhouse. From the pictures, it seemed
like there were more "sculpted-in" pieces of furniture, rather than
furniture you can move around yourself, and Mom has a bottle glued to
her hand (which bugs me).

Aack! I hadn't seen that one! That would bug me to no end!!! Tho, I
am sort of looking for some sturdy dollhouse furniture, since ds (29
months) likes to play with my old dollhouse, but the furniture I had
isn't terribly sturdy. (The most upset I got with him was when I
realized he had methodically pulled off every leg of my parsons style
couch, which had been one of my favorite things for that dollhouse.)

DS does like his LP toys. Actually, he just discovered the video that
came with one of them, and now he's very into them, where they had
fallen into disfavor for a while. However, he's more into the
vehicles than anything else. He has the dumptruck, fire engine, farm,
garage, and a set of small vehicles (which I had meant for the
sandbox, but never got out there. OTOH, the little bulldozer is great
in restaurants, since it's the perfect size for moving sugar packets
around!) (No, I don't work for Fisher Price - these were almost all
gifts from assorted people, over a couple of years.)

One thing to look out for is that some of the toys make a lot of
noises, or use batteries to move. I never put the batteries in the
garage, tho.

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/10/01
#2 EDD 4/10/04
Old December 9th 03, 05:12 AM
Chris

wrote:

I'm wondering about a few gifts and would like any comments
from anyone who wishes. Thx.

Little People -- We have one older "town" and would like another
since it's popular, and imaginative. Any suggested titles? I
hear that some are put together better than others.

Main street, farm, and the school bus were big favorites.

Drawing Area -- I was thinking of a small table, but I saw a kid's
easel and the child took to it. Easel vs. table for drawing?
Any easel experiences out there?

This is the first year I've noticed one called the 4 in 1 activity
table. It has 4 different table tops. One is a chalkboard, one is dry
erase board, one is lego building boards, and the last is a 'car
road'.

Animal Books/Cards -- I'd like something longer-term with
good any facts, pictures, and details. I've seen flashcards
and various books, including many with "DK" on the spine.
Any experience and/or suggestions? Thanks.

We have several DK books. They are favorites for long stretches of
time then their interests change to something else and then back
again. We usually try to get them from the library first for a test
run and then buy the ones they really enjoy.

P. Tierney

Christmas gift ideas stellar General 0 November 4th 03 12:05 PM
Great gift for toddler hooper General 1 October 25th 03 03:20 AM
Holiday gift giving procedures P. Tierney General 13 September 17th 03 05:59 PM
A gift from Kane Kane General 0 August 14th 03 05:23 AM
Carrier Suggestions For a Big Baby toto General 1 July 10th 03 11:27 PM