Fathers and Children

Old December 7th 03, 03:54 AM
Sami

Default Fathers and Children

How wonderful that the role of the father is finally becoming more
pronounced and accepted for exactly what it is-different. Our society
says that just because moms are moms, we automatically know what to do
with our children. Like the example of the 13 month old and her father
on the airplane, sometimes a father does know best. One other example
given was the different ways moms and dads have of picking up thier
children. My child craves both the soft, cradling arms of a mother as
well as the rough and tumble play with dad. It's interesting to note
that sometimes though they seem to want the opposite interaction from
the opposite parent. Thanks for finding such a great article and
sharing.

Happy parenting!
Old December 8th 03, 03:05 AM
Sami

I totaly agree with your assessment of children wanting thier own set
of parents as evidenced by anyone who has more than one child. The
children all vie for attention. This is also true in certain social
situations where several children are present and the parents interact
a bit too much with the other children to the chagrin of their
bilogical children.

In reference to the way the genders interact/parent children
differently I say hooray! While I agree there are times it seems
easier to just have my husband do things the way they're ususally done
when he's not at home to keep the routine the same, who's to say the
routine is always so great? Who's to say that my way is the best way?
I think as parents we're all just trying to do the best we can at any
given moment, given the circumstances of that moment. Besides, it's a
bit shortsighted to think that our childrn will only grow up and
interact with people that are exactly like we are. What if one of my
children wants to go into the military? Will the drill sargeant be
'warm and fuzzy'? I don't think they're going to stop to kiss the
boo-boos. But that's not to say that I will stop coddling and kissing.
While my husband occasionally seems rather forceful with our little
one, I realize that the perceived harshness to accomplish a larger
lesson can be discussed and feelings soothed if necessary. This is
unlikely to be the case in the 'real world'. As the child of a single
parent household, I am so grateful for the interaction as well as the
differences my husband and I share.