strange rash on a 10-month old. please help!

Old December 6th 03, 06:38 PM
JG

Default strange rash on a 10-month old. please help!

"PF Riley" wrote in message

I'd still put my money on drug eruption.

Changing your mind, PF? g I thought you believed the rash was
virus-induced:

"The story you give is a classic presentation for a viral exanthem
being mistaken for a drug eruption."

Given that the antibiotic (drug) in question was amoxicillin and that
the rash appeared 48 hours hours after the initial dose was given
(considerably sooner than a "typical" amoxicillin rash would appear), I
think it's likely, based on what I've read, that the rash was/is due to
a virus (i.e., that your initial assessment was correct).

Old December 7th 03, 05:41 AM
PF Riley

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:38:08 GMT, "JG" wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote in message

I'd still put my money on drug eruption.

Changing your mind, PF? g I thought you believed the rash was
virus-induced:

"The story you give is a classic presentation for a viral exanthem
being mistaken for a drug eruption."

Whatever. I guess I meant to type, "I'd still put my money on
[whatever I said before]."

PF, reminding you all not to drink and post!
Old December 9th 03, 04:58 AM
Tina

"C Du" wrote in message ...
Our son Josh is having a rash that's even strange to the doctor. Basically,
he got a rash two days after taking antibiotics for the first time
(Amoxicilin). The rash looks like red small dots (see photos in the web page
below).

Hi!

I've read your history and looked at the pictures (nice documentation,
by the way), and read the thread. I think you got some good
of my daughters seemed to have an allergic reaction to amox., a couple
of years ago, (woke up screaming, covered in hives) but hasn't had an
opportunity to be prescribed antibiotics since, so we're still not
sure.

I wanted to mention, though, on a totally separate note, that my other
daughter had a rash just like your sons, covering her whole body, and
it happened several hours after the second time she'd eaten eggs. It
didn't bother her at all, but I was shocked. We went to the ped.,
knowing we'd just introduced eggs, and she did a blood test for
allergies, and my daughter tested positive for eggs. The ped said it
looked like ezcema. We got an allergist, who said it was impossible
that she would've reacted so slowly, and the blood test wasn't
accurate, and she would've been in serious pain/intense itching if
she'd been covered in ezcema. Anyway, he did a scratch test, and lo
and behold, she was allergic to eggs!

That was a year ago, and she's still sensitive to eggs, if I eat them
(she tells me 'there's eggs in there!' if she's nursing after I've
eaten eggs; but I avoid them 99% of the time. It's only tough now
that she's nursing just 1-2 times a week), and once she got some
accidentally in a box of imported cookies, and she had a severe asthma
attack for which she was later hospitalized.

So, best of luck with whatever you're doing now...and if this rash
reappears, please try to consider some less common reasons for rash --
our allergist says that only 2% of ezcema is food allergy related, and
that my daughter's case is atypical ezcema anyway, but we're very
grateful we figured it out.

Tina.

Quick question about naps in a 13 month old... kks General 17 December 2nd 03 01:04 PM
Diaper rash from hell..... jojo General 8 November 13th 03 04:36 PM
Heat rash! Lina General 13 August 22nd 03 04:02 PM
Help - picky 12 month old Sunshine General 6 August 20th 03 06:54 AM
6 month old schedule question Penny Gaines General 2 August 1st 03 10:09 AM