Anyone else awake ? sleeping advice sort

Old December 8th 03, 06:14 PM
Nic

Default Anyone else awake ? sleeping advice sort

Anyone else awake at this hour ?
My dear son has decided not to want to sleep anymore between 1am and 4 am
odd

Not happy

Apart from lossing sleep I am slowly starting to pull hairs out of my head
as I have no idea what is wrong with him or why he is doing it. He seems to
want a feed (bottle), has one, sleeps for about 30 mins and then wakes up as
if something had scared him. Sometimes he wont take the bottle.

Over the last week I have tried panadol, changing sheets, room temp, noise,
milk, nappy, swaddling, burping and he just wont sleep It seems he is
only content to sleep in my arms at this hour of the morning and the minute
I put him down he wakes up again and starts screaming again... crying and
screaming, not loud but enough to keep me awake. So now I dont hold him, I
just comfort hug though the bars of cot and then lay him down and rub his
back or face or head and sing quietly to him (but it makes no difference)

DD was soooooo good, she started sleeping though the night at 3 months and
hasn't looked back, and the one time we had trouble with her we did
controled crying and it settled her back into a routine and back to sleep.

It almost seems like my son carn't fall asleep again and then becomes over
tired and even harder to settle.
I wish he could consider sleeping though out the night soon

Any idea's or something I am missing ?

Nic
Mum to 3 1/2 yo dd whom is sleeping
Mum to 11 mo DS whom is wide awake and noisy!

Old December 8th 03, 06:37 PM
Welches

Nic nlmilesatoptushomedotcomdotaunospam wrote in message
u...
Anyone else awake at this hour ?
My dear son has decided not to want to sleep anymore between 1am and 4 am
odd

I'm awake... it is 5:35pm here though.
Not happy

I'm not very happy between 1 and 4am either...
Debbie (with sympathies)

Old December 8th 03, 06:41 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

How much is your baby napping? Maybe cut back on naps? We had to limit
our son to 90 minutes of daytime napping at this age or else he'd wake
for several hours during the night, ready to play. By age two the naps
(still essential to have!) were limited to 30 minutes.

By the way, it took only a few days for our son to become accustomed to
the shorter naps, and he started waking up ready for action instead of
being sleepy and grumpy. Sometimes he even woke from his naps on his
own, the way a well-rested child often does. And nights were MUCH
better ...

Just a thought,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 8th 03, 06:51 PM
Nic

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message
Hi -

How much is your baby napping? Maybe cut back on naps? We had to limit
our son to 90 minutes of daytime napping at this age or else he'd wake
for several hours during the night, ready to play. By age two the naps
(still essential to have!) were limited to 30 minutes.

By the way, it took only a few days for our son to become accustomed to
the shorter naps, and he started waking up ready for action instead of
being sleepy and grumpy. Sometimes he even woke from his naps on his
own, the way a well-rested child often does. And nights were MUCH
better ...

Good in theroy but at the moment he doesn't really nap much during the day.
He naps between 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours give or take, some times that is a
morning nap only and then by 8pm at night he is tired big time.
Other times he naps in bursts morning nap of 1 hour and then after lunch nap
of 20 mins and then after noon nap at about 3pm of 1 hour. And a rare day he
doesn't nap at all and he still wakes up at night. I figure that the 1 1/2
hours to 4 hours sleep in a day is about norm for a 11mo boy.... then again
it dont matter if its not, Its not like its going to change his night time
habbit of waking up.

We could go for weeks with the same schedule with naps and then we lose the
routine and the more I try to keep certain times the more he fights sleep.
I suspect or rather I feel like blaming the daylight savings time as since
we went on it, its thrown him and dd out of sync.

I suspect he is going to end up like dd and stop taking naps at the age of
2.

We have also tryed co sleeping thinking that would work but he keeps me and
dh awake then.

Hope this makes sense... My head is thinking sleep....
Nic

Just a thought,
--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Old December 8th 03, 07:32 PM
Nic

"Richard" wrote in message
Nic nlmilesatoptushomedotcomdotaunospam wrote:
: Anyone else awake at this hour ?
: My dear son has decided not to want to sleep anymore between 1am and 4

am
: odd
:
: Not happy
:
: [ . . . ]

In addition to Beth's suggestion of curtailing daytime naps, I'd suggest a
technique that worked pretty well for us, tweaking feedings. During the
day, we would feed just enough to satisfy DD. As soon as we saw a chance
to cut off a feeding, we would. At night, we did just the opposite, try
to get her to eat as much as possible at each feeding. It helped a lot.

How did giving her more at night help ? My brain isn't thinking to good but
it seems strange to do that. Did you feed solids at night ? or just bottles
? I guess if he ate more at night he would have a fuller tummy and therefore
might sleep longer...Is this what happened with your girl ?

I'm wide away now, btw, but it's the middle of the day here (East Coast
USA).

yeah your on monday whilst we are in tuesday morning !

Pleasant dreams!

Richard
Micaela's dad

Old December 8th 03, 07:57 PM
jojo

My DS's sleep patterns seem to change radically
when he is either teething or has a growth spurt.
These we just ride out, as he usually returns to normal.
At 13 months we cut his nap to one 2 hour nap per day
in the afternoons. This helped to.
Richard's suggestion of a big dinner help a bit too.
Good luck,
jojo

Old December 8th 03, 08:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Nic wrote:

[...]

Having daytime sleep all over the place very well
could be causing night waking. I know that being rigid
about sleep can backfire, but I would really be tempted
to have a general nap plan (either a morning and afternoon
nap or just an early afternoon nap, depending on how much
sleep you think he needs) and then try to stick with it.
I wouldn't force sleep at the appointed time. Rather,
I'd have a routine that involves giving him the opportunity
to nap at roughly the same time each day. Then, if he
didn't nap, I would *NOT* let him sleep other times. I'd
keep him busy and active until the next "normal" sleeping
time (whether that was the next nap or bedtime). I think
with a little gentle encouragement you might find that
things even out.
If you've got a kid who's really likely to be
disrupted by things like daylight savings, you might
plan ahead and move his schedule little by little
so that he's in synch when the time change occurs.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 8th 03, 09:00 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I think I am being wicked dense. Why would you want her to eat at night and
not during the day? That sounds backwards.

Thanks

Old December 8th 03, 09:16 PM
Sue

Richard wrote in message
No solids, just ending a feeding as soon as possible during the day and
extending it as long as possible at night. I think getting hungry sooner
and not feeling "full" kept her awake during the day, and a tummy full
of milk put her to sleep at night. It worked pretty well for us.

I think the opposite works better for most people. Tanking them up during
the day seemed to help with over night feedings and waking. Keeping to a
close routine during the day worked better for us also. By the time my girls
were one year old, I fed them lunch and it was nap time. I stuck to that
routine and my girls slept very well at night, from an early age.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 8th 03, 09:18 PM
Beth Kevles

HI --

I think that Richard (eat at night not during the day) must have meant
REALLY filling up that tummy in the evening, and if there's a night
waking, making sure that tummy gets filled up again as full as possible
so as to encourage sleep, the way we all get after a big meal.

We "topped off" our kids with food in the evening until they were four
or five years old. Without full tummies, they had trouble falling
asleep even if they were tired. I'd forgotten about that until Richard
mentioned it ... We have very different food issues now that they can
reach the food for themselves from the cupboards.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.