Anyone else awake ? sleeping advice sort

Old December 9th 03, 12:10 AM
Nic

Default Anyone else awake ? sleeping advice sort

"Beth Kevles"
HI --

I think that Richard (eat at night not during the day) must have meant
REALLY filling up that tummy in the evening, and if there's a night
waking, making sure that tummy gets filled up again as full as possible
so as to encourage sleep, the way we all get after a big meal.

We "topped off" our kids with food in the evening until they were four
or five years old. Without full tummies, they had trouble falling
asleep even if they were tired. I'd forgotten about that until Richard
mentioned it ... We have very different food issues now that they can
reach the food for themselves from the cupboards.

Thanks for posting that... Its nice to know that someone else's kid does the
same thing, or goes though the same.
Nothing worse then sometimes worring that you kid is doing something not
normal to other kids. It sounds like it sucked a little but kids do try and
push and test you in everyway possible.

It does scare me though that you had to top up you kids until four or five
years of age... I was kinda hoping this was something he would grow out of
sooner rather then later. Awww guess I am blessed that one child of mine is
good enough to sleep the night though.

Hmmm I wonder if it is a "boy" thing.? (or do you have girls ?)

Nic
3 1/2 yo dd
11 mo ds
--Beth Kevles
like me to reply.

Old December 9th 03, 04:39 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Sue" wrote in message
Richard wrote in message
No solids, just ending a feeding as soon as possible during the day and
extending it as long as possible at night. I think getting hungry

sooner
and not feeling "full" kept her awake during the day, and a tummy full
of milk put her to sleep at night. It worked pretty well for us.

I think the opposite works better for most people. Tanking them up during
the day seemed to help with over night feedings and waking. Keeping to a
close routine during the day worked better for us also. By the time my

girls
were one year old, I fed them lunch and it was nap time. I stuck to that
routine and my girls slept very well at night, from an early age.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

The thing about topping off before bed that seems not right to me is the
advice that I have heard that you not eat dinner too close to bedtime
because it messes with body temperature and the ability for the body to
completely shut down during sleep. While this may not be necessdary for wee
little ones (who does not nurse or bottle a baby before bed?) I would think
this would not be a great habit to be in. But all kids are different, so I
may be full of horse-pucky. Whatever works.

Old December 9th 03, 06:47 PM
H Schinske

stowevtcannedmeatproduct.sover.net wrote:

The thing about topping off before bed that seems not right to me is the
advice that I have heard that you not eat dinner too close to bedtime
because it messes with body temperature and the ability for the body to
completely shut down during sleep. While this may not be necessdary for wee
little ones (who does not nurse or bottle a baby before bed?) I would think
this would not be a great habit to be in. But all kids are different, so I
may be full of horse-pucky. Whatever works.

I think it's certainly true for adults. If I've eaten a big meal or a lot of
snacky stuff too close to bedtime, I wake up hot and uncomfortable. I've never
noticed it affecting my kids, though (e.g., when we stay late at a party and
they've eaten a lot of chips and cookies quite close to when they go to bed,
they still seem to sleep fine).

--Helen